No announcement yet.

ATI Radeon HD 5850/5870 On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, patch X and see almost all problems go away...

Comment

Originally posted by BillBroadley View Post
      Anyone out there there with a ati 4770, how does it work with google earth (full screen), video playback (full screen) and compiz?
      From what I hear on IRC, using bleeding edge code, the 4xxx series cards are running Compiz and playing Nexuiz just fine, so I assume Google Earth would be fine too. Don't know about video playback.

Comment

Originally posted by BillBroadley View Post
        I've been on the nvidia side for quite awhile and I have to say I kinda agree with phoronix. As a nvidia user under linux I'm used to compiz, google earth working, full screen video playback. Even on fairly old hardware mid range from a few generations ago. In fact similar even works on the rather slow intel embedded chipsets. I bought a new quad core phenom, with the radeon 3300 (785g I believe) only to find that compiz, google earth, and full screen video playback do not work well. ATI seems to be trying hard, publishing tons of docs, some support for the opensource folks. But still seems lacking with a decent driver (binary or otherwise).

Anyone out there there with a ati 4770, how does it work with google earth (full screen), video playback (full screen) and compiz?
        I understand where you are coming from. It's a slippery slope though. There's a very fine line between reporting, telling it how it is, and ranting. If you're running some personal blog then fine - rant all day and night. But if you are considered to be the authority on linux hardware, then a little neutrality is expected.

I guess I dodged the bullet because I'm still using the old HD 3870. Compiz used to be abysmal, but it improved greatly with Catalyst 9.2 - 9.6. Catalyst 9.8 seems to have fixed whatever that was causing the random hard locks (someone else mentioned it in the forums), and I've been able to play Nexuiz since Catalyst 8.7.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          My guess was "a couple of weeks for modesetting and a couple of months for acceleration".

Alex is going to be out at XDC next week so I'm revising that to "a few weeks for modesetting..."

We haven't started the work though, so these really are guesses for now.
          How much of a deviation is this generation in terms of hardware interface?

Anything we can help with? Docs available?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
            Nice try.

The topic was about AMD, and how they didn't provide phoronix with a sample. Not about Linux as a whole, not about phoronix as a whole. If you don't see it, no biggie - but that's an invalid comparison and a rather childish rolling of the eyes.
            Why provide a sample if there are no drivers yet? I am getting my 5850 in a couple days so I can check if the 9.10 beta drivers work, but I have my doubts. If you have read anything from the forums and reviews the drivers on windows seem a bit rough right now, so its understandable that they don't have working drivers for Linux yet. Also I am not implying that the windows driver team also works on the Linux driver, but that it might require more work than the R700 series.

Comment

if you try the ubuntu-pre-relase of the 9.10 drivers, they might work - but you also might get a 'hardware not supported' watermark in the right bottom corner

imho worth a try

Comment

Yes, I agree.

On my desktop 4850, I have had some noticeable improvements in performance, and bugfixes since I got it a year ago.

Where are the benchmarks comparing the different ATI divers on each new release?

I used to look at the articles, and I'd get a good idea of what the new driver bring. Now, I have to read trough a hundred pages of forum posts to get an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  if you try the ubuntu-pre-relase of the 9.10 drivers, they might work - but you also might get a 'hardware not supported' watermark in the right bottom corner

imho worth a try
                  I'm really curious as to whether the 9.10 drivers support the 5800 series or not (I know *one* of you guys has to have bought one already, so speak up! ). I want to buy an ATi card in the coming weeks, but I don't know if I should get a 4850, a 4870, or a 5850...

Comment

have you read the test on anandtech? The 5850 is blazing fast. There is no reason to buy a 4870 - except the prize...

Comment

I'm typing this from a Debian Lenny/Sid amd64 box (AMD X4 955BE, 8GB PC2-8500, MSI K9A2 Platinum) with a brand new Radeon 5870 in it. I've got the "Unsupported hardware" banner at the bottom right, but I've not run into any problems so far. I've been running Heroes of Newerth at 1680x1050, vsync off, with 8xAA and 32xAF on at >70FPS. X-Plane runs very nicely at 1680x1050 extreme res with 4xAA and 4xAF (not nudged it any higher yet), ETQW runs very nicely with 16xAF (>60FPS constant). This is with Catalyst 9.9.
                      Last edited by GotenXiao; 02 October 2009, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X