No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 5 Kernel Graphics Driver Support Will Hopefully Be Upstreamed Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 5 Kernel Graphics Driver Support Will Hopefully Be Upstreamed Soon

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 5 Kernel Graphics Driver Support Will Hopefully Be Upstreamed Soon

While the Raspberry Pi 5 debuted last September, the mainline Linux kernel support for this popular single board computer continues to lag behind the state of Raspberry Pi's downstream kernel. SUSE has been working to upstream various Raspberry Pi 5 driver support while now Raspberry Pi engineers have also begun the trek toward upstreaming their kernel graphics driver support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's pretty bizarre to me that hardware vendors go to the effort of creating Linux drivers for their stuff but don't upstream it.

It's even more bizarre that people create boards with hardware that doesn't have upstream Linux drivers... isn't creating custom images much more effort?

Comment

About time, I think this is very late. What an embarrassment for Raspberry. I wish Intel would make a single-board computer then it would have everything mainstreamed and ready long before it hit the shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        About time, I think this is very late. What an embarrassment for Raspberry. I wish Intel would make a single-board computer then it would have everything mainstreamed and ready long before it hit the shelves.
        Except it would consume the power of two devices and won't run for more than 2 years without silicon degradation and need weekly microcode updates to fix security gaps or selfdestruction mechanisms like eTVB.

Comment

what happened to raspberry when they were nonprofit and affordable, to nowadays they are as expensive as comparable tablet with wlan, bt, touch display and battery?

This nonprofit certainly seems to funnel profit somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Except it would consume the power of two devices and won't run for more than 2 years without silicon degradation and need weekly microcode updates to fix security gaps or selfdestruction mechanisms like eTVB.
            Using one of their 6W TDP mobile chips like the N100/N200/N300 would be fine, and indeed, you can go out and get one:

AAEON has sent us an UP 7000 single board computer equipped with an Intel Processor N100 Alder Lake-N CPU, 8GB RAM, and 64GB eMMC flash for review. The

Or just get it as a mini PC already assembled with a case, which is what most people want.

They do not need weekly microcode updates, and ARM SoCs are also affected by some of the same vulnerabilities such as Spectre.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

Using one of their 6W TDP mobile chips like the N100/N200/N300 would be fine, and indeed, you can go out and get one:
              Remember though, part of the comparison is to keep the prices similar. The i.e UP 7000 at $170 is in no way similar in cost to any Pi.

Might as well just get a second hand ThinkPad in that case.

Comment

Starting to produce compatible drivers 9 months after the release of the RPi5 is disrespectful to customers who bought this hardware !!

Besides, given that RPiOS only works with LTS kernels and that the next LTS kernel will probably only be released with Debian 13 during the summer of 2025, we will only have drivers to the point when this hardware will have become obsolete, so to speak ;-(

From this point of view, it's really a big mess...​
                Last edited by Phil995511; 21 June 2024, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                  It's pretty bizarre to me that hardware vendors go to the effort of creating Linux drivers for their stuff but don't upstream it.

It's even more bizarre that people create boards with hardware that doesn't have upstream Linux drivers... isn't creating custom images much more effort?
                  many vendors goal to just show it can boot Linux even with many hacks and very bad quality , which is not acceptable in upstream linux , good linux kernel engineers are quite expensive, many sbc companies are outsourcing these to countries with cheap labour. I recently attended one of the event for SBC and many SBC devs were using WSL to develop drivers and no idea about linux mailing list (most of them did some 6 month training for linux development). It might improve with time as most devs will gain more experience (best way to improve this situation to mentor if you can). Linux docs are getting much better but it lacks marketing

Comment

Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post
                    Starting to produce compatible drivers 9 months after the release of the RPi5 is disrespectful to customers who bought this hardware !!
                    Drivers were available early on. Just not up-streamed.

Besides, given that RPiOS only works with LTS kernels
                    Drivers were open-source. People could put them in any kernel that they wanted.

From this point of view, it's really a big mess...​
                    That's Linux. Develop fast, polish last (or never).

Comment

Working...
                    X