Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any update: HD Radeon 4xxx v.s. Nviida 260?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAXX View Post
    I wish NVIDIA would just change to decent capacitors (preferably solid state ones) and to decent voltage regulators.
    I'd gladly pay 50 additional bucks if I could be sure not to get any squealing in exchange...
    It's not nvidia who decides what caps and regulators are used on the boards. That is the manufacturer of the cards. Nvidia does not manufacture cards. There are several Nvidia cards out there that have superior caps and regs compared to other nvidia cards.

Comment

Originally posted by crumja View Post
      Too much FUD going on here. It's always "I read this or that". Please, think about what you're reading instead of accepting it on blind faith. Panix, AMD does not restrict what video cards can be used with their motherboards; that would be illegal. MAXX, you "heard" about bad ATI drivers. Have you tried them to see if they meet your needs?
      Actually restricting what items can be used on what boards is not illegal at all although they would frowned upon by many of the standard alliances and possibly be kicked out.

Comment

What make of Nvidia card is it?

I would go with either EVGA or XFX cards unless the price of another card was so low, you'd have to consider it. Even if I had no intention of overclocking, I'd still go with one of the above. They both RMA cards that have been overclocked by the buyer without any question. It just seems like they are more likely to accept/tolerate various issues without hassling or questioning the customer.

I think a hot-running card (at degrees higher than usual) or one making excessive noise would be cause for RMA.

A GTX 260 card should be relatively cool-running and not much louder than comparable cards. I found an article that compares GTX 285, GTX 260 (both architectures) and ATI Radeon HD4870 among other cards. The GTX 260 looked like a good compromise and way better as far as temps go compared to the ATI. I am now waiting for the GTX 260 to go down a bit in price (hopefully).

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
          I don't know any advantages there, from what I see, nouveau is in much better shape regarding DRI2/TTM/KMS/Gallium3D.
          To me it's quite the opposite. KMS working since Fedora 10 and DRI2 working since F11 on a Radeon 9500 AGP.
          On the contrary KMS means blank screen in F12 alpha both for 8400M and 8800GT, while Radeon 9500 still work as it's supposed to work.
          And I don't see a Gallium3D nouveau driver coming anytime soon.

Comment

As for ATI temps, usually theirs cooling sucks big time. Usually is better to get a higher priced model with better default cooling system. Well, if you don't believe me my HD4850 was running ~70C idle and 85C stress with default cooler. Now it's ~23C idle and 30C stress on LC On other 4850 I've installed Accelero S1 without any fans and it runs 45C idle / 66C stress. I know that HD4870 is usually hotter, but there is not a big difference.

Comment

This is probably not relevant, but I'll just mention it. :P
              I know that my ATi X1900 XT makes similar squeaky noises when I'm using the open-drivers and doing things like marking text in firefox and draging it around... it doesn't occur in games though so it's not really annoying. This doesn't happen when I'm using the closed source drivers.
              So maybe it also was a driver change/update which introduced this on your card as well?

Comment

Well, I was also happy with all my previous cards, the one I had before the GTX260 was a GT7800 and it was working and working and working for years. I just exchanged it because it started to lack performance. Maybe I just should have sticked with it. It had no squealing at all.

Sometimes my Computer gets turned off daily, but during weekends/holidays and so on it never gets turned off.

I was always satisfied with their drivers but... well, these "new" hardware flaws are really hurting their reputation with me...
                AFAIK they've already been there in the 8xxx series, I'm pretty sure they were not there in the 7xxx series because as I already said, I've been using that card heavily for years. (and I sold it to a friend who is still using it all the time and has no problems with it)

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                What make of Nvidia card is it?

I think a hot-running card (at degrees higher than usual) or one making excessive noise would be cause for RMA.
                It's a Leadtek GTX 260
                Well, I already thought about returning it when that noise first occurred. But then I looked for some people who had experiences with returning stuff to the shop I bought it from and they said that most of the times they don't even look at the cards and so on.
                Then I also read somewhere that they declare the squealing to be normal wearout.

BTW. the squealing is even there, while scrolling up and down in this thread.
                Last edited by MAXX; 23 August 2009, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAXX View Post
                  It's a Leadtek GTX 260
                  Well, I already thought about returning it when that noise first occurred. But then I looked for some people who had experiences with returning stuff to the shop I bought it from and they said that most of the times they don't even look at the cards and so on.
                  Then I also read somewhere that they declare the squealing to be normal wearout.

BTW. the squealing is even there, while scrolling up and down in this thread.
                  Can you still return it? If you can, I would, right away. Imho, you got a defective card and your shop sounds like they're full of jerks. They just want the easy way out and try to convince you 'it's normal.' I am too scared to take chances with 'strange names', Leadtek, for e.g. Also, I want any potential RMA to go as smooth as possible. Before, I thought go with cheapest price but then I found out that EVGA and XFX are pretty relaxed regarding overclocking and I probably wouldn't even do that. I think that could mean they are pretty reasonable with cards that are returned hoping to retain your business.

All of them have defective cards that slip through the cracks, anyway. I will speculate and suggest maybe you got one. Especially if it is somewhat newer. Maybe the fan is dying on it so you are hearing the squeaks/noises?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    I am too scared to take chances with 'strange names', Leadtek, for e.g.
                    Leadtek has been around for a long time. They made the reference nvidia cards for years. They also have a RMA dept 2nd to none. XFX over the last while has gone to hell in a shithole when it comes to RMA's, the last card I had to RMA to them (a radeon 4870) took well over a month and a half to even get a reply. They used to be quick on RMA's but are absolutely one of the worst now.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Leadtek has been around for a long time. They made the reference nvidia cards for years. They also have a RMA dept 2nd to none. XFX over the last while has gone to hell in a shithole when it comes to RMA's, the last card I had to RMA to them (a radeon 4870) took well over a month and a half to even get a reply. They used to be quick on RMA's but are absolutely one of the worst now.
                      Whatever. I did a search for Leadtek video cards and got practically nothing. I am not sure where you or the other guy ordered their cards but I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.

Whatever happened was in the past. Since there is no choice with those cards or at least not available in my neck of the woods, what I said stands. Maybe XFX is bad now, I don't know. That's for XFX owners or former owners to decide. I just thought it was good that they allowed mods of their cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X