Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Arc Graphics vs. AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA GeForce For 1080p Linux Graphics In Late 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the latest desktop APU range from AMD? I'm rocking 3200G and 4650G at the moment for example, and am thinking a DIY Steembawks (and retro) in the near future.
    Hi

Comment

The Intel A380 may be dead last in every benchmark but considering you can pick on up for about $120 and it offers acceptable 1080p performance, with good Windows and Linux drivers and good workstation performance, it may be the only real choice for many users.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        The Intel A380 may be dead last in every benchmark but considering you can pick on up for about $120 and it offers acceptable 1080p performance, with good Windows and Linux drivers and good workstation performance, it may be the only real choice for many users.
        It just depends on what kind of performance you actually need.

You can get a 1030 for 50% cheaper, if you only need 50% the perf. Or a 6500XT for 30% more, if you need 30% more perf.

Overall it seems to be priced just about right for someone who wants to play around with it. You get newer features on the ARC card, but also less mature drivers.

Comment

I'm positively grief stricken by NVIDIA's dire financial situation. I hoped it wouldn't come to this.
          I hoped that they would be able to squeak (at least a mid range) card past the bailiffs in the
          direction of the most honest reviewer on the planet. But, ..., but, ..., but here we are ... how can
          we go on?

Perhaps a wake is in order?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            They made the 6800XT too good.
            rdna2, specifically the 6800 xt, has three solid years of kernel driver and mesa / radv optimizations. rdna3 is going on a year, and specifically the 7800 xt not even a year. barely two months for it. going to take some time baking in the oven to mature.
            Originally posted by Times Two View Post
            I'm positively grief stricken by NVIDIA's dire financial situation. I hoped it wouldn't come to this.
            I hoped that they would be able to squeak (at least a mid range) card past the bailiffs in the
            direction of the most honest reviewer on the planet. But, ..., but, ..., but here we are ... how can
            we go on?

Perhaps a wake is in order?
            you're on linux. nvidia shouldn't even be in your vocabulary. nvidia is not an option to use on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
              rdna2, specifically the 6800 xt, has three solid years of kernel driver and mesa / radv optimizations. rdna3 is going on a year, and specifically the 7800 xt not even a year. barely two months for it. going to take some time baking in the oven to mature.

you're on linux. nvidia shouldn't even be in your vocabulary. nvidia is not an option to use on linux.
              I don't think that's a very reasonable assumption given RDNA3 is not a completely different design compared to RDNA2, it has extra bells and whistles sure but overall, it operates very similar otherwise we would have seen much larger jumps in performance then we did, under Windows even.

90% of steam gamers use NVIDIA, it is not reasonable to expect all Linux users should use AMD cards.
              Most coming to Linux will have a nvidia card so having a stance like yours only hurts LINUX adoption rates overall. NVIDIA is making progress under Linux with Open-source drivers and Proprietary, along with Wayland support.

Comment

No native OpenGL games benchmarks

Comment

Nice! Provided some workstation benchmarks, for work/corporate users, rather than just teeny-bopper games!

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                    No benchmarks using ray tracing?
                    Another victim of Ngreedia marketing bs…..

RT is and will be a gimmick until you have a gpu that can do proper RT without resorting to cheating tech like fake frames AND cost around 300-400, so easily 3 or 4 gens away.

Right now, very few games do proper usage of it, hence they dont justify the insane performance hit.

So waste your time on more productive things, like proper non jaggy 4K games and maybe 60 to 120 fps.

Oh yes, specially good gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

I don't think that's a very reasonable assumption given RDNA3 is not a completely different design compared to RDNA2, it has extra bells and whistles sure but overall, it operates very similar otherwise we would have seen much larger jumps in performance then we did, under Windows even.

90% of steam gamers use NVIDIA, it is not reasonable to expect all Linux users should use AMD cards.
                      Most coming to Linux will have a nvidia card so having a stance like yours only hurts LINUX adoption rates overall. NVIDIA is making progress under Linux with Open-source drivers and Proprietary, along with Wayland support.
                      He is right, you are wrong.

Fuck Ngreedia.

They dont give a rats ass about open source or open standards or their own customers.

Comment

Working...
                      X