Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Arc Graphics vs. AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA GeForce For 1080p Linux Graphics In Late 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They made the 6800XT too good.

Comment

Thanks for the benchmarks but why no watt measures of the RX 7800 XT?
      I just bought one and I’m curious why the 6800XT is consistently better…
      Also would just love to see power usage of the 7800XT.

Comment

No benchmarks using ray tracing?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
          Thanks for the benchmarks but why no watt measures of the RX 7800 XT?
          I just bought one and I’m curious why the 6800XT is consistently better…
          Also would just love to see power usage of the 7800XT.
          Crappy AMD support for Linux, as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
            No benchmarks using ray tracing?
            There's no support for ray tracing for AMD cards in Linux, afaik. The benefits of AMD cards in Linux again. Support will be in 10 years time.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              There's no support for ray tracing for AMD cards in Linux, afaik.
              That not true in fact any more.

AMD Intel and Nvidia on Linux all have ray-tracing support now. AMD was the 28 Sept 2023​ release of mesa3d being 23.2. The listed specification of the test platform here does have the right mesa to have raytracing with AMD. Just no ray-tracing test in mix.

AMD raytracing support in mesa3d had to go though a few revisions before it could get merged. Those attempting to use Raytracing with windows at the start with AMD were wishing that it had gone though a few more revisions before being dropped on them as well.

AMD driver support has been AMD biggest issue with GPUs and that is not restricted to Linux. The mesa3d process has seen features delayed as code to support particular processes fail peer review and have to be redone but the when the features land they been in good condition. Window side users have had red screens of death (as in full kernel crashes) and other nightmares yes they got the features sooner but they also got more stability issues..

So it pick your poison with AMD. Neither Windows or Linux driver state is ideal.

Valve funding zink development port to Windows is also due to driver issues with AMD/Intel and Nvidia on windows.

GPU drivers have cursed in many different ways.

Comment

There's no support for ray tracing for AMD cards in Linux, afaik. The benefits of AMD cards in Linux again. Support will be in 10 years time.
                Not true... Mesa 23.2 defaults with RT enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                  That not true in fact any more.

AMD Intel and Nvidia on Linux all have ray-tracing support now. AMD was the 28 Sept 2023​ release of mesa3d being 23.2. The listed specification of the test platform here does have the right mesa to have raytracing with AMD. Just no ray-tracing test in mix.

AMD raytracing support in mesa3d had to go though a few revisions before it could get merged. Those attempting to use Raytracing with windows at the start with AMD were wishing that it had gone though a few more revisions before being dropped on them as well.

AMD driver support has been AMD biggest issue with GPUs and that is not restricted to Linux. The mesa3d process has seen features delayed as code to support particular processes fail peer review and have to be redone but the when the features land they been in good condition. Window side users have had red screens of death (as in full kernel crashes) and other nightmares yes they got the features sooner but they also got more stability issues..

So it pick your poison with AMD. Neither Windows or Linux driver state is ideal.

Valve funding zink development port to Windows is also due to driver issues with AMD/Intel and Nvidia on windows.

GPU drivers have cursed in many different ways.
                  Oh okay, my mistake then.... apologies....but, how well does it work? If it's bad in Windows - then, I'd be afraid to test in Linux. It just seems like many features are way behind in the Linux world despite the FOSS situation. I wasn't just looking at ray tracing - the only thing I care about regarding RT - is the HIP-RT part. I compare AMD's feature set in other areas non-gaming. I think gaming for either Nvidia or AMD is exactly what you say - pick your poison - there's pros/cons for both. I guess AMD might even be better, overall - but, not in the productivity area - which is what I value a gpu on. Oh, plus the basic features - like fan curves, voltage regulation, etc. I know there's way more options with that in Windows but there should be basic options in Linux, at least - and they should work.

I understand ray tracing - even in Windows - is a major impact on frames/fps.

Comment

Oh, plus the basic features - like fan curves, voltage regulation, etc. I know there's way more options with that in Windows but there should be basic options in Linux, at least - and they should work.
                    That another mistake. The same control options with AMD hardware are under Linux as under Windows. Linux lack GUI to control them and amdgpu driver by default in Linux is set very conservative on what you are allowed to change. Yes needing to set ppfeaturemask​ to allow overclocking before amdgpu driver will allow you to play with voltage regulation and many other things.

There is a funny thing where most AIB making AMD cards in fact pay third party programmer for the GUI does those settings under windows. Yes some of your cheaper AMD cards you find don't come with a GUI that will control them under Windows either did not pay the third party for the GUI.

What you are calling basic features the difference is Linux does not have a well developed GUI to control them not that the features at not there to be controlled.

https://github.com/Lurkki14/tuxclocker Yes we are starting to see tuxclocker step into the role but tuxclocker nowhere near complete on what can be controlled.. You also have the case that some of the AIB over clock software for windows for Nvidia hardware is also third party. This is really headache that applies to Nvidia, Intel and AMD GPUs under Linux with different levels of missing interface.

That basic feature stuff is it own form of headache. AMD has given Linux what they do in the basic feature parts but then you have the third party bits.

Comment

You can control some settings with corectrl gui. Used it when I was mining with my RX 6600XT. Still using the RX 6600 XT for lite gaming on my HTPC, like FarmingSimulator 19 and it runs that game great at high settings.

Comment

Working...
                      X