Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 with Ubuntu??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 with Ubuntu??

I ordered a Fujitsu Siemens laptop (Esprimo Mobile V6545) with a "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450" in it. Meanwhile I'm reading and preparing for possible troubles.

Which distribution of Ubuntu (8.04 desktop LTS or Ubuntu 9.04) on 32 bit works best with that card?

Do I need to install any driver? (On AMD site I couldn't find drivers for that particular card). Thanks. Elena.

Hi,
    I'm using a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 which is almost the same as the 3450. I'm currently using (k)ubuntu 9.04 without any problems. To get the maximum 3d performance out of your card you will need to install the fglrx driver. You should automatically get a notification about whether you want to install this restricted driver when you install and run ubuntu. If not you can install 'xorg-driver-fglrx' from the Synaptic package manager.

Comment

Thanks, I'l try...

I'll try to do that installation. Thanks for your answer.

Comment

So ATI doesn't have those weird 2D issues and inability to accelerate 1080p H.264 videos anymore ?

Comment

So ATI doesn't have those weird 2D issues and inability to accelerate 1080p H.264 videos anymore ?
          Haven't tried that . One problem I did have though was that 3d programs would flicker with desktop effects turned on in KDE 4.2. However turning the effects off would make it normal again.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have an ATI Radeon HD 3450 HD, and im running Ubuntu 8.10. I can't install gflrx drivers, because doing so, my system is slowed down too much...
            i cant install also radeonhd driver, because graphics get corrupted.

Right now im not using any of those drivers, but when i type glxgears, it runs, and glxinfo shows the following info:

elhoir@elhoir-desktop:~/reactos/sources$ glxgears
            715 frames in 5.0 seconds = 142.912 FPS
            804 frames in 5.0 seconds = 160.664 FPS
            805 frames in 5.0 seconds = 160.857 FPS
            802 frames in 5.0 seconds = 160.213 FPS

elhoir@elhoir-desktop:~/reactos/sources$ glxinfo
            name of display: :0.0
            display: :0 screen: 0
            direct rendering: Yes
            server glx vendor string: SGI
            server glx version string: 1.2
            server glx extensions:
            OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
            OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
            OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.2
            OpenGL shading language version string: 1.10

But, when running games that require 3D acceleration, they refuse to run...
            Why i cant install those drivers?
            can anyone help me with this issue please?
            Thanks so much

Comment

You have to install fglrx, otherwise no go. Try

sudo -i
              rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
              dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
              wget -N http://kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh
              DISPLAY= nohup sh install-fglrx-debian.sh

Comment

hi Kano,
                im sorry but your method didnt work, it suddendly rebooted my X server, but it didnt restart properly. An annoying sound (from gpu?) was heard instead, so i reverted to the original configuration...

Thanks for your help and for your fast reply anyway

please let me know if you want any test to find whats wrong in my system
                Last edited by elhoir; 13 June 2009, 10:23 AM.

Comment

You can test my distro when you join #kanotix channel on irc.freenode.net.

Comment

Working...
                  X