AMD's RX7900 XT*, I am not impressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dimko View Post
    Not everyone will do overclocking. Majority will probably not. By time warranty has expired extra 5% wont do much. Remember, extreme overclocking is not something that even overclockers do.
    Except I'm not talking about individuals but companies. AIB partners could pretty easily sell 2.7, 2.8 or 2.9Ghz AMD cards if they want to. That's the deal that AMD made with them: AMD makes "mild" reference cards, and leaves the AIBs with a ton of elbow room to customise as they want. I don't know if it'll be taken that far of course, but it's a solid deal, compared to how Nvidia literally tries to crush all its partners and had even EVGA leave the entire market.

Also, remember Monster Radeon Profile? IIRC, it was an ukrainian who wanted to pull as much power from his 6800 xt, and made it go as powerful as a 3090 Ti in raster with little extra power consumption. If you take that as basis, imagine what could be done with an XTX? I wouldn't be shocked to hear of fine-tuned or OC'd XTXs catching to the 4090 in raster and the 4080 in RT.

Time will tell, but I don't think we're facing a scam or a poor card. I think we're facing a botched launch and a very incompetent AMD in the driver area. But the hardware may yet prove to be everything it promised to be.
    Last edited by Mahboi; 15 December 2022, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
      Except I'm not talking about individuals but companies. AIB partners could pretty easily sell 2.7, 2.8 or 2.9Ghz AMD cards if they want to. That's the deal that AMD made with them: AMD makes "mild" reference cards, and leaves the AIBs with a ton of elbow room to customise as they want.
      Problem with this statement is, once AIBs have overclocked original design and slapped a better cooler, 2 things happened:
      1. Power consumption went up, which is minor annoyance.
      2. for 10%-15% performance# increase there will be 20%-25% price increase, and suddenly 1000$ card becomes 1250%, which is now in 4080 territory. And if you are there, you may as well get 4090.
      Last edited by dimko; 15 December 2022, 10:23 AM. Reason: s/price/performance#

Comment

On Moore's law is dead a chart is being displayed where significant power savings are made when capping framerates with newer drivers, as opposed to the launch drivers. He suggested that AMD was not ready with the drivers at launch time, in addition to the vaporchamber hardware issue which i believe he said about 10% of the cards had. I hope it all comes out fine after a few months after launch time, and it will be an excellent competitor to nVidia when considering the price.

Comment

7900XT is a good competitor with the 4070TI
          A little more powerfull in raster and a just little less powerfull in RT

And its a little confusing, it looks like amd and nvidia have talk together, the two cards are so near in performances
          Last edited by Horigo; 24 January 2023, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Velocity View Post
            On Moore's law is dead a chart is being displayed where significant power savings are made when capping framerates with newer drivers, as opposed to the launch drivers. He suggested that AMD was not ready with the drivers at launch time, in addition to the vaporchamber hardware issue which i believe he said about 10% of the cards had. I hope it all comes out fine after a few months after launch time, and it will be an excellent competitor to nVidia when considering the price.
            Yeah, ages like wine MAY BE true here. Time will tell. And at this time i am waiting another month before I am upgrading, unless my GPU dies on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Horigo View Post
              7900XT is a good competitor with the 4070TI
              A little more powerfull in raster and a just little less powerfull in RT
              Problem with this is ̶ ̶4̶0̶8̶0̶ ̶1̶2̶G̶B̶ 4070TI is awful card, as is. Thats why they cancelled it first then decreased pricing on it and you can still find it at MSRP.
              So saying that 7900XT competes with 4070TI - does not say much.

Comment

i have a 7900XT and its great. But you just have to know when you buy it that it should be called 7800XT
                Its a good 7800XT for the price i am happy with it.

Comment

i have a 7900XT and its great. But you just have to know when you buy it that it should be called 7800XT
                  Its a good 7800XT for the price i am happy with it.
                  Anything above 500$, I can't call good value. I came from times when TI cards cost like 300$. I understand, inflation and all.
                  But by this rationale, GPU are not something you depend on.
                  If GPU makers gonna make GPUs in worse economy, they should concentrate NOT on speed increases with significant increase in price, but rather on delivering same/similar performance for smaller price. Let me guess, in today days more people buy a Ford as compared to Porsche.
                  I am consumer, so I am always right.

Comment

The good price is the price the user is agree to pay
                    Everybody is intelligent enough, to know the price he is agree to pay or not
                    And if the users don't buy, the prices will go down

And it's not a car btw you can't compare with cars
                    Last edited by Horigo; 24 January 2023, 02:49 PM.

Comment

The good price is the price the user is agree to pay
                      Everybody is intelligent enough, to know the price he is agree to pay or not
                      And if the users don't buy, the prices will go down

And it's not a car btw you can't compare with cars
                      Well, since I don't agree to pay = bad price, this proves my point

Comment

Working...
                      X