Graphics card for high-res dual-head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nargo View Post
    I would like to try Left4Dead, Dawn of War 2 and various new games from Steam and so on.
    GTX260 is probably your best bet although I don't know of any passively cooled ones so you might need to replace the heat sink.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
      You'd obviously want a dual dual link DVI-I card, check the specs carefully. Also stay away from those gimicky 3 output cards DVI/VGA/HDMI, they are more trouble than they are worth.
      I was thinking of getting the MSI N9400GT-MD512H (passively cooled, 3 outputs - DVI/VGA/HDMI). Mostly I use my machine to watch TV and films (no gaming), and I liked the HDMI option because I plan to attach a larger LCD TV soon.

Could you go into a bit more detail about why you don't recommend this type of card? Why are they more trouble than they're worth?

Comment

most GPUs have 2 outputs only. If you see three physical outputs on your card, two of them are connected to the same GPU output and cannot be used at the same time. Which ones depend on your model.

There may also be driver trouble, as those cards aren't too common and not too well tested.

My suggestion is to find a card with 2 DVI outputs (and nothing else). DVI and HDMI are physically compatible, so you'll be able to attach your TV with a simple DVI->HDMI cable. Those can be bought for 10-25?, depending on cable length, and won't cost more than HDMI cables of the same length.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
          most GPUs have 2 outputs only. If you see three physical outputs on your card, two of them are connected to the same GPU output and cannot be used at the same time. Which ones depend on your model.

There may also be driver trouble, as those cards aren't too common and not too well tested.

My suggestion is to find a card with 2 DVI outputs (and nothing else). DVI and HDMI are physically compatible, so you'll be able to attach your TV with a simple DVI->HDMI cable. Those can be bought for 10-25?, depending on cable length, and won't cost more than HDMI cables of the same length.
          @horde - thats pretty much my point. Bear in mind often these cards only come with VGA/DVI, there's nothing to say that the HDMI and DVI isnt the same thing ;-) It could be the same interface with two outputs.

Also HDMI on a graphics card is not very usefull. What is HDMI? It's glorified DVI with sound. You can get a DVI to HDMI adapter if your TV supports that. Sure you wont have sound coming from the graphics card but sound over HDMI is flaky at best of times (not just in linux ;-) )

Most graphics cards carry a DVI to HDMI adapter. If it doesnt it costs near to nothing.

Comment

Working...
          X