Running The Open-Source Upstream V3D Driver On The Raspberry Pi 4 & Newer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    Don't they use the same SoC? It only counts as "newer" if it's not the same as in the original Pi 4.

From what I can see, they all use the BCM2711, though the 400 uses a C0 stepping. It seems extremely unlikely that any significant design changes would be introduced in a stepping, rather than a new model number.
    Product wise they are newer but you are right SoC is the same but the article mentioned Pi 4 and not BCM2711

Comment

So what drivers are still missing out of a stable-line stock Linux kernel then? When are you going to be able to just load up a stock version of Fedora and have every piece of hardware in an RPi4 supported?

And when can we expect to see decent support for ARM GPU-accelerated greaphics and video in a web browser (ANY web browser!) without a massive hit to CPU or janky YouTube H.264 hack plugins?

And when are we going to see the mass adoption of a standard firmware interface for ARM, like System Ready??? Cuz until then, ARM ain't ready...

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
        Michael
        Any benchmarks planned to compare the different Pis? The new Orange Pi 5 seems to be interesting price wise, f. e.
        It's a RK3588 board! That means 4x A76 + 4x A55, and a better Mali GPU.

It also has a NPU, but I have no idea what state the software support is in, nor is it a priority for me to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Waethorn View Post
          So what drivers are still missing out of a stable-line stock Linux kernel then? When are you going to be able to just load up a stock version of Fedora and have every piece of hardware in an RPi4 supported?
          I think the standard Pi 64-bit install now gets most of its packages directly from Debian repos, though there still is one Pi-specific repo.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            No, I don't have any of the other non-RPi ones.
            Here's the Ali Express link for Orange Pi 5. If you're interested, PM me the total price (shipped) and I'll reimburse you via paypal:

Looks like it should end up somewhere in the ballpark of $95.10, which is by far the best price I've seen on a RK3588 board!

Make sure to get the 8 GB kit with the US power adapter.

Feel free to add their crappy little heatsink:
            I expect it will need something better, to avoid throttling. Perhaps we'll see. I never use the adhesive on those things. I clean it with isoproply alcohol and then use a PC-grade heatsink compound. As I discovered on the Pi 3, it still doesn't make up for using a crappy little aluminum heatsink, when what you really need is a big copper one.

Or this one, which is the biggest copper heatsink I can find that will fit:

It's 20 mm x 20 mm x 7 mm high. The white outline on the PCB is about 19 mm x 19 mm, but I figure there's no harm in putting it a little off-center or even crowding the RAM.
            Last edited by coder; 14 November 2022, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              I think the standard Pi 64-bit install now gets most of its packages directly from Debian repos, though there still is one Pi-specific repo.
              Not the kernel. It's still a mess.

Comment

Working...
              X