Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schmidtbag
    replied
    I for one don't think the prices are that impressive. This is roughly what I wish AMD would charge. I hate this high upward trend in prices.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Does virtual machines hardware acceleration work with these GPUs? If so they are really interesting to me compared to AMD.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by david-nk View Post
    If you're trying to run compute/ML workloads however, then there would be no need to bother with one of these.
    On what are you basing that statement?

They've already launched data center products, based on these GPUs, over a month ago (August 24th). ML and compute would seem to be some of the core workloads for which they're intended. So, I'd be pretty surprised if they flat-out didn't work.

Also, I've used Intel iGPUs for both compute and ML workloads. I've found their GPU compute stack to be stable for years.

Leave a comment:

• david-nk
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    If I weren't a gamer I might be tempted as an early adopter. But since I am a gamer, it'd be at least a year before I'd seriously consider any of these cards. More likely to take another look if/when Gen 2 is released.
    Then I don't see what you're worried about, games work just fine on these cards, even with the drivers from a few months ago.
    Which shouldn't be a surprise, they are marketed for gaming.
    If you're trying to run compute/ML workloads however, then there would be no need to bother with one of these.

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    The death of Intel Arc seems to be greatly exaggerated.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
    It was just January of this year when AMD essentially took a dump on the gaming community by re-purposing laptop GPUs into that POS RX 6500 XT with 4GB VRAM / x4 lanes / 64-bit bus width and two display outputs for $200.
    That's one way to look at it. Another way is that it's a dGPU for less money than you could get otherwise, at the time. For a lot of non-gaming uses, it was more than enough. There have always been basic GPUs costing less than any models you'd really want for gaming (e.g. GTX 1030, RX 550, etc.).

Also, it's misleading to call it simply a 64-bit bus. Thanks to Infinity Cache, AMD gets more performance out of that bus than Intel gets from the 96-bit bus of the A380.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    Just another vendor product line differentiator (practiced by basically everyone) to maximize revenue by intentionally restricting features on consumer targeted SKUs.
    Well, they don't list the feature on any of the Pro versions so far announced. It's hard to have something that's a point of product differentiation, if you don't even tell your customers about it.
    I don't see it in the specs of their datacenter products, either:
    Last edited by coder; 30 September 2022, 02:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dragorth
    replied
    Honestly, I see these prices as a win if you are in the market for AV1 encoders for media servers. I don't know if Plex supports it yet, but I am sure it will eventually.

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
    If they had implemented SRV-IOV in any of their cards even with limited capacity of 1 or 2 partitions (understandably to not cannibalise their high end data centre stuff) I would have bought two ARC cards the very second I could find them.

IMHO big failed opportunity this could have been the big differentiator. Almost anybody with a ESXI or KVM rig at home would have bought ARC cards without thinking twice had they come with SRV-IOV support.
    Isn't Intel's XenGT (and I think they have similar for KVM now) enough for home stuff?

Leave a comment:

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    This A750 doesn't look too shabby hardware wise. It isn't too cut down. You still get the basic goodness of x16 lanes / 256-bit bus width / 3x DP 2.0 | 1 x HDMI 2.1, etc. And we are getting closer to upper midrange pricing from a decade ago. It was just January of this year when AMD essentially took a dump on the gaming community by re-purposing laptop GPUs into that POS RX 6500 XT with 4GB VRAM / x4 lanes / 64-bit bus width and two display outputs for $200.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X