No announcement yet.

Intel Outlines Arc A750 Graphics Card For $289, More Arc Graphics Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The death of Intel Arc seems to be greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
      If I weren't a gamer I might be tempted as an early adopter. But since I am a gamer, it'd be at least a year before I'd seriously consider any of these cards. More likely to take another look if/when Gen 2 is released.
      Then I don't see what you're worried about, games work just fine on these cards, even with the drivers from a few months ago.
      Which shouldn't be a surprise, they are marketed for gaming.
      If you're trying to run compute/ML workloads however, then there would be no need to bother with one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
        If you're trying to run compute/ML workloads however, then there would be no need to bother with one of these.
        On what are you basing that statement?

They've already launched data center products, based on these GPUs, over a month ago (August 24th). ML and compute would seem to be some of the core workloads for which they're intended. So, I'd be pretty surprised if they flat-out didn't work.

Also, I've used Intel iGPUs for both compute and ML workloads. I've found their GPU compute stack to be stable for years.

Comment

Does virtual machines hardware acceleration work with these GPUs? If so they are really interesting to me compared to AMD.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I for one don't think the prices are that impressive. This is roughly what I wish AMD would charge. I hate this high upward trend in prices.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
              If they had implemented SRV-IOV in any of their cards even with limited capacity of 1 or 2 partitions (understandably to not cannibalise their high end data centre stuff) I would have bought two ARC cards the very second I could find them.

IMHO big failed opportunity this could have been the big differentiator. Almost anybody with a ESXI or KVM rig at home would have bought ARC cards without thinking twice had they come with SRV-IOV support.
              That answers my question unfortunately
              How stupid, they can keep their useless ARC cards in such case.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The other stuff is great and all, but that AV1 encoder I'd love to see. If it can beat SVT-AV1 at the highest preset I can run realtime, that's a huge win right there; if it can do better than that, fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I for one don't think the prices are that impressive. This is roughly what I wish AMD would charge. I hate this high upward trend in prices.
                  With the price drop on AMD 6xxx serie and the horrible state of the Intel drivers, these cards are basically DOA at this price. Not that intel plan on selling many of them to the DIY community, they will just unload most of their stocks in the OEM market and then abandon the whole thing probably.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    Well, they don't list the feature on any of the Pro versions so far announced. It's hard to have something that's a point of product differentiation, if you don't even tell your customers about it.
                    Intel announced SR-IOV for at least some of their DC targeted Flex series (it is on this page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ex-series.html ) which is a re-branding of the Arctic Sound-M and phoronix itself pointed out Intel's patches to the linux kernel to support RE-BAR support for SR-IOV GPUs late last year. Arguably Intel has far too many pages of targeted marketing so that it is hard to find what one might want to know, although it looks like the currently announced A-Pro line is targeted at a different market using consumer GPUs (with consumer GPU limitations). If you want SR-IOV, you apparently need to look at alternative SKUs such as Flex.
                    Last edited by CommunityMember; 30 September 2022, 10:39 AM.

Comment

While there are many who think this is just going to go away, I rather doubt that. Intel has loads of money. They want to compete, not just to make more money, but also to deprive AMD of revenue.

Intel GPUs typically have sucked in the past. These sound better, but I have never owned any Intel GPU/APU. So I cannot know.

But I think Intel can at least break even by offloading these onto OEMs for idiots to buy thinking it is good. And that will deprive AMD and Nvidia of a sale. That is all Intel is after right now.

I hope they manage to make a good GPU, and I really hope they turn the driver into something good too.

I am an AMD fan all the way. But competition is always good.

Comment

Working...
                      X