No announcement yet.

EVGA - Long-Time NVIDIA Partner - Ending Graphics Card Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explaining someone's actions is not "defending" them, I've never said NVIDIA was bad/good right/wrong.
    • Discussing the member of these forums openly (vs discussing the news) is simply detestable.
    • Ya'll have your God-bestowed AMD which only does good, why do we have close to 100 comments here, LMAO? Last time I heard Phoronix users only use AMD CPUs and GPUs. This discussion should have ended with "Fuck you NVIDIA" and "NVIDIA is greedy" (other corporations obviously aren't).
    Over and out.

Comment

You know, arguing with you is a lost cause. There's simply no point in wasting energy and nerves...
      Btw, your last comment only proves even more that you live in your own bubble of delusions

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        • Explaining someone's actions is not "defending" them, I've never said NVIDIA was bad/good right/wrong.
        • Discussing the member of these forums openly (vs discussing the news) is simply detestable.
        • Ya'll have your God-bestowed AMD which only does good, why do we have close to 100 comments here, LMAO? Last time I heard Phoronix users only use AMD CPUs and GPUs. This discussion should have ended with "Fuck you NVIDIA" and "NVIDIA is greedy" (other corporations obviously aren't).
        Over and out.
        Grow some skin. And spend less time in front of the altar you made yourself out of the original Windows 2000 Professional CD, empty box of the Core 2 Duo, bricked 8800GT and the portrait of Putin LOL

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Over and out.
          Current and historical gross margin, operating margin and net profit margin for AMD (AMD) over the last 10 years. Profit margin can be defined as the percentage of revenue that a company retains as income after the deduction of expenses. AMD net profit margin as of December 31, 2023 is 3.77%.

Current and historical gross margin, operating margin and net profit margin for Intel (INTC) over the last 10 years. Profit margin can be defined as the percentage of revenue that a company retains as income after the deduction of expenses. Intel net profit margin as of December 31, 2023 is 3.11%.

Current and historical gross margin, operating margin and net profit margin for NVIDIA (NVDA) over the last 10 years. Profit margin can be defined as the percentage of revenue that a company retains as income after the deduction of expenses. NVIDIA net profit margin as of January 31, 2024 is 48.85%.

The greedy one is in fact justified at the moment and backed by number. Yes times intel gets called gready also line up with when it has 60 percent gross margin as well.

60% gross margin can appear operational fine bull market. 60% gross margin starts showing it problems if the market ever turns bear particularly when you are a supplier to someone else for them to make a product.

Corporations should be expected to be greedy but there is a upper limit. Intel has stepped across that line in the past of 60% gross profit. Nvidia has steped across that line of 60% gross profit. AMD in history has capped out at 50% gross profit. Remember gross profit of 50 percent does not mean selling all items with 50% profit some items will be less and some items will be more.

Intel has had issue with their motherboard partners in the past when they were running 60 percent gross profit.

Birdie do note since 2010 Nvidia profit margin has been sneaking up. Maybe Nvidia will correct in the bear market. But you also have to remember by Nvidia being too greed the effect can be that they have drained their AIB money reserves for Bear market. Intel did the same thing to their motherboard partners when they got too greedy as well.

60% gross profit when you are providing inputs to other companies so they can exist is normally bad thing. 50% gross profit is questionable but the history is normally this does not end up starving parties building on provided product out.

Yes the numbers from share market reporting do line up with the Issue evga raised. Remember same thing EVGA complained with Nvidia happened with Intel when Intel was making motherboards competing with their partners and at 60% gross profit. So Intel and Nvidia has done the same thing. Intel did it first but their are thousands of examples. Nvidia here has failed to learn from history and has let greed take them a little too far. The reality here if Nvidia does take notice of what EVGA has done and brings their gross profit margin under control to allow the AIBs that remain to make little more profit everything will go back to healthy.

I gave AMD, Intel and Nvidia here. I could bring in when IBM did the stupidity and many other companies. The mistake of greed is good is far too common. Greed need moderation for companies supplying other companies so you don't financially kill/harm your customer.

Nvidia being too greedy over the past few years would be one of the problems with EVGA causing them to leave because EVGA did not collect the money they should have to ride out GPU bear market. Other AIB when they do the numbers could also wish to disconnect from Nvidia until after the Bear market on GPU clears.

Birdie anyone who studies financial systems detail will have come across this repeating problem of taking too much gross margin ending up having adverse effects on their direct customers. Normally company having too high of gross margin is called greedy. Now if Nvidia gross margin had remained under 50% calling them greedy would most likely be wrong.

Birdie the one that all companies are greedy is excuse not to look at gross profit numbers and see companies that have taken greed too far. All companies need so much greed to remain a company but there is a line between greed to keep company profitable so working well vs too greedy that at some point is going to kill off your customers.

%60 percent gross profit is not exact number where its going to be harmful to customers but this is you hit this there is 98% percent you are at a point that if market change to bear for your customers they are going to be in bad way for customers that are building on your product. Yes this 60% gross profit level of hell applies to even people selling building supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            Btw, Birdie, I know you BL'd me, but if you're reading this, I researched that HWU controversy a bit more, and it doesn't seem HWU even broke the review guidlines in that specific review. After the backlash from the community and other tech reviewers, Nvidia even made a U turn regarding their decision to ban HWU from sending GPU's and wrote them an apology letter.
            So next time, why don't you at least research stuff a bit better if you want to shill for your beloved corp. Otherwise stop lying and STFU.
            The fact that this happened shows comprehensively these guidelines that NVidia creates are a form of control, bullying and a method of controlling the narrative rather that more understandable monetary reasons. If NVidia is willing to make exceptions (in this case with HWU) when they get completely slaughtered from media/social influencer backlash because of how ridiculous they are being it shows that simply put, they want to make sure that they have reviewers and AIB's constantly under their foot.

Onto the EVGA thing, I don't think people realize how insane good (and hence atypical) EVGA was when it came to warranties and customer support. They are (afaik) the only AIB that offered lifetime warranty which even transferred via second hand sales, and if you had a problem with a card it was very simple as a customer to just call their support and after some initial diagnosis they would immediately send a new card. This is ontop of the on average very good quality GPU's they made (other AIB's like ASUS somewhat recently started making good quality NVidia GPU's, i.e. ASUS TUF 3080/3090 however their customer support is still trash). EVGA was always a good AIB to recommend for NVidia cards regardless of what generation GPU's were out, you didn't have to do extensive research because historically, at worst, they were always "very good".

In the end though this (customer support, warranty) all translates to cost, so even the previous argument of "why don't other AIB's have this problem" doesn't really hold water because no other AIB's had the same level of warranty/support/customer service that EVGA has.
            Last edited by mdedetrich; 18 September 2022, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

The fact that this happened shows comprehensively these guidelines that NVidia creates are a form of control, bullying and a method of controlling the narrative rather that more understandable monetary reasons. If NVidia is willing to make exceptions (in this case with HWU) when they get completely slaughtered from media/social influencer backlash because of how ridiculous they are being it shows that simply put, they want to make sure that they have reviewers and AIB's constantly under their foot.

Onto the EVGA thing, I don't think people realize how insane good (and hence atypical) EVGA was when it came to warranties and customer support. They are (afaik) the only AIB that offered lifetime warranty which even transferred via second hand sales, and if you had a problem with a card it was very simple as a customer to just call their support and after some initial diagnosis they would immediately send a new card. This is ontop of the on average very good quality GPU's they made (other AIB's like ASUS somewhat recently started making good quality NVidia GPU's, i.e. ASUS TUF 3080/3090 however their customer support is still trash). EVGA was always a good AIB to recommend for NVidia cards regardless of what generation GPU's were out, you didn't have to do extensive research because historically, at worst, they were always "very good".

In the end though this (customer support, warranty) all translates to cost, so even the previous argument of "why don't other AIB's have this problem" doesn't really hold water because no other AIB's had the same level of warranty/support/customer service that EVGA has.
              My point is, even if HWU really did break the guidelines, then those guidlines were simply unclear, because HWU first didn't even understand what they've done wrong in their review. They actually had some ray tracing tests in their review, but then it turned out to be not enough, at least for that PR guy who sent the emails.

Regarding EVGA, I don't really have an opinion about it because I never owned their cards. But from what you and other people write, they seem to be the Nvidia equivalent of Sapphire. High quality cards, good prices and good customer support. I actually had a similar experience with my Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+. The first unit I bought in 2017 turned out to be faulty after a year (black screens, artifacts, etc). So I got the replacement unit only in about few days.
              Last edited by user1; 18 September 2022, 10:04 AM.

Comment

My point is, even if HWU really did break the guidelines, then those guidlines were simply unclear, because HWU first didn't even understand what they've done wrong in their review. They actually had some ray tracing tests in their review, but then it turned out to be not enough, at least for that PR guy who sent the emails.
                My point was related the to the fact that they theoretically broke the guidelines but then suddenly NVidia made an exception. In any case generally we are on the same page

Regarding EVGA, I don't really have an opinion about it because I never owned their cards. But from what you and other people write, they seem to be the Nvidia equivalent of Sapphire. High quality cards, good prices and good customer support. I actually had a similar experience with my Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+. The first unit I bought in 2017 turned out to be faulty after a year (black screens, artifacts, etc). So I got the replacement unit only in about few days.
                Same, but judging from what I heard personally as well forums/reddit they really punched above their weight in this regard (arguably they were even better than Sapphire but I can't make a judgement on that).
                Last edited by mdedetrich; 18 September 2022, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

My point was related the to the fact that they theoretically broke the guidelines but then suddenly NVidia made an exception. In any case generally we are on the same page
                  Yeah, I understand. Which shows what these "guidelines" really worth when you can put pressure on the company.
                  Last edited by user1; 18 September 2022, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
                    Grow some skin. And spend less time in front of the altar you made yourself out of the original Windows 2000 Professional CD, empty box of the Core 2 Duo, bricked 8800GT and the portrait of Putin LOL
                    LOL, except for the last part. Did he say anything pro-Russia/Putin, lately (if ever)? If so, my apologies. If not, don't bash him just for being Russian.

Based on a couple posts I recall from late last year, I seriously doubt he's a Putin supporter.
                    Last edited by coder; 18 September 2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Another video from MLID (who is a well known and accurate leaker who has contacts in all major chip companies including NVidia) on the EVGA exit https://youtu.be/5uK_VUxi5Zo?t=1734.

Apparently EVGA had close to 40% of the NVidia GPU market share in North America, this is quite massive if so.
                      Last edited by mdedetrich; 18 September 2022, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X