EVGA - Long-Time NVIDIA Partner - Ending Graphics Card Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    Yep. Called "videocard prices". They were super expensive and nobody was buying cards that are even more expensive. More shock would be to see such announcement from Palit for example.
    Some of EVGA's alleged complaints: FE undercutting, severe restrictions, and a lack of a way to address these issues with Nvidia.

These should theoretically affect all GPU OEMs, and I can see them being unhappy about it too (even if they aren't willing exit the space over it).

Also, many of EVGA's "base" GPUs were about the same price as other base models (though TBH I have not been paying attention to RTX 3000 pricing).

...Anyway, this is not surprising. Oldschool tech sites have reported on Nvidia's toxic relationship with manufacturers for years, and something finally gave.
    Last edited by brucethemoose; 16 September 2022, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

on the topic EVGA it could mean RDNA3 is so good that Nvidia loses its pole position and EVGA is now making RDNA3 GPUs...
      EVGA said they are exiting the GPU business.

TBH this event has nothing to do with AMD or Intel.
      Last edited by brucethemoose; 16 September 2022, 06:01 PM.

Comment

in your world amd would be bankrupted instantly and nvidia would be the only gpu manufacturer around.
        no, they would simply support their cards
        only because you can't stand the stop of active development of x480/580/590 cards in the ROCm/HIP driver.
        No. man do you ever listen? a card I paid for being effectively EOL'd so soon for a major use case sucks. AMD doesn't have amf hevc support for it either, it's also missing critical vulkan extensions I need for features that I very much want. as well as other misc gripes that have added up over the years. ROCm is simply the final nail, as I have said
        on the topic EVGA it could mean RDNA3 is so good that Nvidia loses its pole position and EVGA is now making RDNA3 GPUs...​

No it doesn't watch GNs video on it
        because unlike nvidia amd is able to ship an effective chiplet design with stagged 3D cache beating the GDDR6x patent monopole.

and?
        looks like radeon 7900XT with GDDR6 Vram with 256mb infinity cache and 756mb stagged 3D cache will beat the shit out of nvidia.

dont care

for someone who doesn't think before typing, you sure type a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
          Yep. Called "videocard prices". They were super expensive and nobody was buying cards that are even more expensive. More shock would be to see such announcement from Palit for example.
          With Nvidia doing price gouging by charging more to the partners? Maybe others would. Either that or the company mention does enough volume to be able to withstand another cycle but that remains to be seen.

Comment

My respect for EVGA just went up -- after 10 years with them I was not keen on their nvidia products the last 5 years and switched to AMD.

I can see from their limited comments that they were also unhappy with a lopsided partnership. EVGA is back on my radar, I wouldn't mind seeing what their future plans are -- and good for them for being willing to pivot and make big decisions as needed.

Comment

I highly recommend to everyone watching both GN and JTC videos, they offer slightly different perspective on the same topic since they were both invited to the meeting.

- manufacturers get to know nvidia gpu prices when leather jacket goes on stage (you know, the gpus they've ordered and already manufactured cards with)
              - they don't even get the damn drivers(!) before the press does, "because muh leakz"
              - leather jacket apparently thinks they should be thankful and kissing nvidia's ass for being treated like trash

Jayz put it best, calling it abusive relationship. How the hell do you run your business when dealing with a "partner" like nvidia?

I'm just kinda worried about Nintendo's relationship with nvidia now, since I'm planning to buy Switch Lite and expect them to release next nvidia-based Switch down the line (they have to, because of backward compatibility - they're using specific low-level nvidia api and running that efficiently on other gpus, while possible, could be more trouble than its worth). Microsoft tried dealing with nvidia already, during the first Xbox era, and that didn't go well. Of course big corporations like Nintendo or Microsoft can handle it, but with nvidia strongarming everyone into submission it's likely not that different. If Nintendo plans to use AI-based upscaler in their next Switch, they're screwed - they need ARM SoC with decent GPU, AI accelerator and software solution supporting it - and nvidia is the only company that has all three (FSR runs on regular shader cores and likely wouldn't be energy-efficient enough for mobile use).

Comment

Originally posted by unic0rn View Post
                I highly recommend to everyone watching both GN and JTC videos,
                What are those ? Where ? Everybody mention them as if it was obvious what those mean and where those vids are.

Comment

Originally posted by unic0rn View Post
                  I highly recommend to everyone watching both GN and JTC videos, they offer slightly different perspective on the same topic since they were both invited to the meeting.

- manufacturers get to know nvidia gpu prices when leather jacket goes on stage (you know, the gpus they've ordered and already manufactured cards with)
                  - they don't even get the damn drivers(!) before the press does, "because muh leakz"
                  - leather jacket apparently thinks they should be thankful and kissing nvidia's ass for being treated like trash

Jayz put it best, calling it abusive relationship. How the hell do you run your business when dealing with a "partner" like nvidia?

I'm just kinda worried about Nintendo's relationship with nvidia now, since I'm planning to buy Switch Lite and expect them to release next nvidia-based Switch down the line (they have to, because of backward compatibility - they're using specific low-level nvidia api and running that efficiently on other gpus, while possible, could be more trouble than its worth). Microsoft tried dealing with nvidia already, during the first Xbox era, and that didn't go well. Of course big corporations like Nintendo or Microsoft can handle it, but with nvidia strongarming everyone into submission it's likely not that different. If Nintendo plans to use AI-based upscaler in their next Switch, they're screwed - they need ARM SoC with decent GPU, AI accelerator and software solution supporting it - and nvidia is the only company that has all three (FSR runs on regular shader cores and likely wouldn't be energy-efficient enough for mobile use).
                  Nintendo could do what apple did and make their own silicon. That takes time though, so very unlikely until the generation after that at the earliest.

But Nintendo is just as bad a company as nvidia. Very consumer and content creator unfriendly. Completely killed my interest in their games, which is a shame. Breath of the wild looked good.

Comment

on the topic EVGA it could mean RDNA3 is so good that Nvidia loses its pole position and EVGA is now making RDNA3 GPUs...
                    They said repeatedly that they are not interested in partnering with AMD or Intel. Maybe that could change, but as of right now, they are cutting away 78% of their business.

Originally posted by orzel View Post

What are those ? Where ? Everybody mention them as if it was obvious what those mean and where those vids are.
                    Gamers Nexus
                    Sponsor: HYTE Y60 computer case on Amazon - https://geni.us/3ngWPEVGA has terminated its relationship with NVIDIA. EVGA will no longer be manufacturing video...

JayzTwoCents
                    Get your JayzTwoCents Dad Bods and PC Mods Shirts Here! - https://www.jayztwocents.com○○○○○○ Items featured in this video available at Amazon ○○○○○○► Amazon ...

Jon Peddie Research

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
                    Breath of the wild looked good.
                    Pirate it, play it at a higher resolution than is possible on the Switch. :P

Last edited by jaxa; 16 September 2022, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                      no, they would simply support their cards
                      i told you that this possibility is not on the table without getting money for it.
                      they only have the possibility of going bankrupt or drop support.

longer support times need higher sales price and the only company who can get higher sales prices in the gpu market is nvidia
                      thats why you get longer official support on nvidia hardware.

you also dislike the non-official support from companies like RedHat man ... then your only option is buy nvidia.

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                      No. man do you ever listen? a card I paid for being effectively EOL'd so soon for a major use case sucks. AMD doesn't have amf hevc support for it either, it's also missing critical vulkan extensions I need for features that I very much want. as well as other misc gripes that have added up over the years. ROCm is simply the final nail, as I have said
                      a card you paid for 4 years later is not give a company any income to finance the support. without pay extra to redhat or amd you dont get longer support. and if you want longer support for your innitial payment at the moment you bought it then the price of the gpu need to be higher to finance the longer support. the only company who is able to get a higher sales price is nvidia because of this nvidia gives you longer official support.

yes reality "sucks" but you clearly do not life in reality. you life in dreamworld....

"AMD doesn't have amf hevc support for it"

HEVC/H265 in my point of view has no relevance for the future because AV1 is the future.

as faar as i know AMF is the windows UVD video architecture why do you expect it on linux? is there a software you like who use this ?

"it's also missing critical vulkan extensions I need for features that I very much want."

i am 100% sure amd still supports 480/580/590 for vulkan extensions they only as far as i know did cut the ROCm/HIP stuff.

can you tell me what vulkan extention you miss ? or is it this one: VK_VALVE_mutable_descriptor_typehttps://www.phoronix.com/news/Vulkan-1.3.228-Released

"as well as other misc gripes that have added up over the years."

what exactly ? ... you do not need to answer i just try to unterstand what you write and mean.

"ROCm is simply the final nail, as I have said"

... you paint it black but in reality there are Git commits on Polaris support for ROCm/HIP...

just quit your believe that AMD is the only driver supply for Polaris hardware try the opensource version of ROCm for example from the ARCH packages... they do in fact support polaris.

i also have another idea for you here in this forum are many people who do upgrade to the lastest tech already
                      this means it is super simple to get a vega64 and just forget about the old polaris topic.
                      on ebay a vega64 is 250€ not a big deal if you ask me. dont see the life so serious. just keep in mind that you get money for your polaris card on ebay to. for example your old polaris card on ebay gives you 110€ this means its only 140€ difference. and its a very good upgrade stradegy to always switch to the oldest supported generation.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                      X