EVGA - Long-Time NVIDIA Partner - Ending Graphics Card Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    In any case since its clear you are a bit of an NVidia fanboy, NVidia losing their golden boy (EVGA was NVidia's best AIB with best warranty and highest market share in western markets) means that, to be frank, NVidia royally fuked up. NVidia losing some no name Chinese AIB, not a big issue. Losing your best AIB? I am sorry, those kinds of things only happen when at minimum both parties fuk up, not saying EVGA is totally innocent however claiming that NVidia did nothing wrong is extremely naive and is the kind of thinking that comes from people that will constantly defend something even when its become quite clear its not defendable.
    in my view EVGA build up a brand name of always produce the best gpu card around...

and i am 100% sure RDNA3 is so fast and cheap that they plain and simple switch to AMD and before this can happen they need to quit Nvidia first.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
      You don't have to be a successful in business or software development to make a good argument. Regular illogical nonsense from you.
      the joke is also we have many successfull business people in this forum to ... i for example had 8 years a computer company.

he claims stuff like if you make a gpu for 500 and you sell it for 1000 then you have 100% profit ?...

he does not unterstand the fact about cost of doing business advertisement costs you an arm and a leg
      you have to hold back money for the case people have broken hardware and want a repear or replacement years later..
      you have hold back money in the case people sue you for whatever reason...

i know companies who always did sell their stuff at minimum 50% higher than they bought it and they did go bankrupt...
      because the cost of doing business are much higher than this.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Look where it's taken Linux in the past 30 years. No-fucking-where. A set of semi-broken packages which people love to call an "operating system". It is not.
        red hat in the last 30 years did go from hobby and foing millions to billions of dollar business ...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nnual-revenue/
        https://www.netcials.com/financial-r...3-RED-HAT-INC/
        https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/looki...-richard-jones

this means you are a complete liar. in the last 30 years linux did go from hobby to millions and from millions ot billion dollar industry.

Comment

• Originally posted by lsatenstein View Post
          So, should I be replacing all my ram with newer versions at say, every 4 years? New cpu, new MB, new ram, new Graphics card, new SSD.... all on a 4 year lifespan?
          most customers did buy 480 or 580 and this cards had much longer support lifespan... its only the pipecleaner card for 12nm the RX590 who had only 4years of support lifespan... but compared to 480/580 the 590 was only sold in small quantities

also there are some technical reasons to ... 480/580 was not tile-based-rendering and Vega64 was the first card with tile-based-rendering

also vega cards had larger shader compute parts than they need compared to their texture units the shader power back then was put in because they did plan to implement FSR1/2 for Vega also FSR benefits from 16FP (16 bit floading point) and 480/580 only has 32FP ...

for amd it is complicated to develop an old driver for 480/580 with only 32FP support and no 16FP support the lag of shader compute power for FSR and also non-tile-based-rendering and for Vega and RDNA/RDNA tile based rendering...

Comment

I knew people on Phoronix have zero information about this whole situation and it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. 11 pages of wild speculation and baseless accusations from absolute no ones who have never started a single successful business.
            By this definition you are an absolute no one as well.

(And if you consider being a constant Linux contributor/tester a "successful business", then you have no right to call 50% of people here "absolute no ones")

Comment

• Originally posted by lsatenstein View Post

So, should I be replacing all my ram with newer versions at say, every 4 years? New cpu, new MB, new ram, new Graphics card, new SSD.... all on a 4 year lifespan?
              Im a little confused by this sorry mate. no idea what you are trying to get at, but at least I myself don't do this, I typically like using hardware with a bit longer lifespan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                Im a little confused by this sorry mate. no idea what you are trying to get at, but at least I myself don't do this, I typically like using hardware with a bit longer lifespan.
                why not see it as opportunity

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...-64/3923vs3933
                according to userbenchmark a vega64 is 73% faster than a rx580...
                and if you sell your old card on ebay an upgrade to vega64 only costs you 130€ if you buy a used vega64 on ebay...
                also FSR2 supports the FP16 units of vega and on 580 it runs in much slower FP32...
                also Vega use tile based rendering and because of this use much less power per FPS...

vega64 has all the vulkan features you want and also blender 3.3 rund on vega64 with ROCm/HIP...

this 130€ really sound like a good deal for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post
                  the joke is also we have many successfull business people in this forum to ... i for example had 8 years a computer company.

he claims stuff like if you make a gpu for 500 and you sell it for 1000 then you have 100% profit ?...

he does not unterstand the fact about cost of doing business advertisement costs you an arm and a leg
                  you have to hold back money for the case people have broken hardware and want a repear or replacement years later..
                  you have hold back money in the case people sue you for whatever reason...

i know companies who always did sell their stuff at minimum 50% higher than they bought it and they did go bankrupt...
                  because the cost of doing business are much higher than this.
                  The reality here is Nvidia AIB don't get 50 percent its 10 to 30 percent. Yes the cost of repair and replacement has to come out of that.

This is the horrible part here the AIB take most of the risk and are getting a very small slice of the profit. Please note if you go back years when Nvidia was only taking 40 percent not the current day 60 percent AIB were then doing 20 to 50 of the card price. You can see this in the information AIBs have provided to share market.

The way the profit split is moving here I would not be surprised of more AIB stop doing Nvidia cards. The accessible information does not say its really healthy to be Nvidia AIB. AMD AIB do have better margins still.
                  Last edited by oiaohm; 19 September 2022, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• A nice unbiased analysis which debunks this EVGA BS:

Comment

A nice unbiased analysis which debunks this EVGA BS:

No it did not 100% debunk EVGA BS. I do think crypto boom is likely the trigger here. Nvidia in the crypto boom kept on expanding their margins and kept on expanding volume of production and having their AIB buy it.

Something in that video is something I wonder. EVGA by dropping out the AIB program for now means they don't have to buy any more volume of what could be hard to move product.

Note that video says that Nvidia is not going to let AIB out of their contracts because their shareholders will not like it. Remember its only the AIB who miss read how much volume of production would be required. Nvidia miss read this as well.

Remember Nvidia would have sold the GPU silicon to AIB based off X MSRP. Of course Nvidia is now going to be releasing cards for less than that MSRP.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nv...-30-price-cuts Its noted here.

I do think video right that it about money. Nvidia increased their margin and they altered MSRP in quite major ways. Big question I have is Nvidia for the 40 series going to attempt to get the same margin they were when the card price was high due to crypto boom in the current crypto bust?

Nvidia sales dropping off in crypto bust is also linked to AIB having excess inventory.

Something that video misses is the AIB profit goes up in the crypto boom because they are getting to sell well above the MSRP so the 10-30 percent margin of the MSRP per card was not a big problem because the AIB vendors were being able to claim the difference between MSRP and the price they were selling cards for on top of the restricted margin. The difference between Nvidia marked MSRP and what consumers will pay for a card alters between boom and bust markets by large margin. PC gamers and workstation users in normal market will smaller percentage over MSRP and also expect lower MSRP compare to crypto miners.

This is why reduced margin out of Nvidia MSRP for AIB is not a problem in boom/high demard. But in bust/low demard massively comes problem if the AIB are not getting enough margin out the Nvdia set MSRP. This is where disrespect would come in that Nvidia has not looked at market and noticed that the Margin they can claim in boom is not the same as the Margin they can claim in bust market for AIB to be healthy.

Remember Nvidia sets the base MSRP for the cards based off their silicon and the percentage of that base MSRP is the cost of Nvidia silicon sold to AIBs. Nvidia has a lot of control here. Remember normal market without crypto miners the PC gamers and workstation users will want to buy the card as close to Nvidia MSRP as possible.

We have had more than one cycle with crypto miners its really simple to forget the 2018 GPU price crash the crypto mining bubble that busted then was not as big as the current one. Yes the 2018 was bitcoin value dropping and the small crypto mining bubble burst that caused 20% price drop. 2022 is the ethereum merge that removes GPU from being useful for a complete currency that heavily used GPU mining .

Yes 2018 Nvidia kept on pushing their margin up even when the GPU prices crashed.

I think EVGA problem with NVIDIA is about margins. Companies saying disrespect in deals is more often than not margin related.

Comment

Working...
                      X