PowerVR Open-Source Vulkan Driver Adds Support For The TI AM62 SoC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerVR Open-Source Vulkan Driver Adds Support For The TI AM62 SoC

Phoronix: PowerVR Open-Source Vulkan Driver Adds Support For The TI AM62 SoC

Earlier this month the TI Sitara AM62 series SoCs were announced for low-power IoT, AI, and other use-cases. While being powered by uninteresting Arm Cortex-A53 cores, with the AM625 SoC part of this new Sitara line-up there is an Imagination PowerVR GPU and that is now being enabled by the new open-source Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Must have been a slow news day at Phoronix when I read an article that includes a snarky comment like this:

The TI AM625 isn't too interesting with being Cortex-A53 powered in 2022 but the PowerVR GPU does open it up for some edge computing and AI use-cases.
    My own impression of the ARM A53 processor is this: It's a low-end, lightweight processor for computing applications that do not require much "grunt". And those PowerVR GPUs from Imagination Technologies have been a well-known closed source (as in "proprietary code") nightmare on Linux since they first appeared.

Edge computing, perhaps in the case of a fixed-mobile wireless base station, would require more processing power that an A53 chip. I don't see how a PowerVR GPU would help with that.

And AI applications! On a A53 processor!

Now perhaps that PowerVR GPU does have enough "grunt" to assist VR-related or AI-related computing apps with GPU-assisted computations, but do you have to sign a NDA with Imagination Tech to obtain access to their closed source code and-or APIs so your own code can work against their GPU?

Surely Michael must have popped the top and consumed some of his favorite beverage before writing his article.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
      Must have been a slow news day at Phoronix when I read an article that includes a snarky comment like this:

My own impression of the ARM A53 processor is this: It's a low-end, lightweight processor for computing applications that do not require much "grunt". And those PowerVR GPUs from Imagination Technologies have been a well-known closed source (as in "proprietary code") nightmare on Linux since they first appeared.

Edge computing, perhaps in the case of a fixed-mobile wireless base station, would require more processing power that an A53 chip. I don't see how a PowerVR GPU would help with that.

And AI applications! On a A53 processor!

Now perhaps that PowerVR GPU does have enough "grunt" to assist VR-related or AI-related computing apps with GPU-assisted computations, but do you have to sign a NDA with Imagination Tech to obtain access to their closed source code and-or APIs so your own code can work against their GPU?

Surely Michael must have popped the top and consumed some of his favorite beverage before writing his article.
      Have you even read the article? This is about this SoC with this GPU being supported by Imaginations new floss driver with Mesa.

Comment

Working...
      X