PowerVR Open-Source Vulkan Driver Adds Support For The TI AM62 SoC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerVR Open-Source Vulkan Driver Adds Support For The TI AM62 SoC

Phoronix: PowerVR Open-Source Vulkan Driver Adds Support For The TI AM62 SoC

Earlier this month the TI Sitara AM62 series SoCs were announced for low-power IoT, AI, and other use-cases. While being powered by uninteresting Arm Cortex-A53 cores, with the AM625 SoC part of this new Sitara line-up there is an Imagination PowerVR GPU and that is now being enabled by the new open-source Vulkan driver...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Vulkan-TI-AM62

Must have been a slow news day at Phoronix when I read an article that includes a snarky comment like this:

The TI AM625 isn't too interesting with being Cortex-A53 powered in 2022 but the PowerVR GPU does open it up for some edge computing and AI use-cases.
    My own impression of the ARM A53 processor is this: It's a low-end, lightweight processor for computing applications that do not require much "grunt". And those PowerVR GPUs from Imagination Technologies have been a well-known closed source (as in "proprietary code") nightmare on Linux since they first appeared.

Edge computing, perhaps in the case of a fixed-mobile wireless base station, would require more processing power that an A53 chip. I don't see how a PowerVR GPU would help with that.

And AI applications! On a A53 processor!

Now perhaps that PowerVR GPU does have enough "grunt" to assist VR-related or AI-related computing apps with GPU-assisted computations, but do you have to sign a NDA with Imagination Tech to obtain access to their closed source code and-or APIs so your own code can work against their GPU?

Surely Michael must have popped the top and consumed some of his favorite beverage before writing his article.

Comment

Working...
    X