Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon HD 4770 On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Radeon HD 4770 On Linux

The latest addition to AMD's Radeon HD 4000 series (R700) family is the ATI Radeon HD 4770 graphics card, which was released in late April. We finally have our hands on this graphics card which uses the RV740 -- the first 40nm GPU -- and have proceeded to run our usual assortment of Linux-based tests. Along with the transition from a 55nm to 40nm process, the Radeon HD 4770 has been designed to bridge the current R700 solutions to their next-generation graphics processors that will be introduced later this year. The Sapphire Radeon HD 4770 may cost less than $100 USD, but it packs serious performance capabilities.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, did you somehow measure the power uptake? Or can you give a difference for the whole system in idle and GPU load? So one could guess the difference in power uptake between these modes?
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

The 4770 is a "budget" graphics card so shouldn't the rest of the system reflect this too? I mean, people aren't going to be buying one of these to game at the resolution tested.

Also, this card kicks the 9800gt's ass in windows, so there some obvious improvements to be had in fglrx.

Comment

Just because it costs 100$ or less, doesn't make it budget, because it's comparable in power to HD4850. And so capable of running just about anything at high res.

Comment

This seems like a good candidate for passive cooling.

I'm a little bit tempted, but I promised myself I wouldn't buy an ATI card until the free 3D drivers can do some of the more interesting stuff (like say Doom 3).

Comment

Give us some Windows benchmarks too... those are like always fun.. come summertime

Comment

What would have been interesting is testing for visual quality differences between 9.4 and 9.5.

edit: on re-investigation, I'm not sure what's going on with image quality settings in Quake 4. No matter what I try, the textures all default to low res. (HD4770, Catalyst 9.4, Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64)

edit: it was a set of config file options.. http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-336953.html

seta image_downSize "1"
              seta image_downSizeLimit "1024"
              seta image_downSizeBump "1"
              seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "1024"
              seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
              seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "1024"

This corrected the low-res texture issues I was having in Quake 4 with my HD4770.
              Last edited by lem79; 16 May 2009, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X