Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the graphics card (PCIE) with highest throughput for Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ljones View Post
    In particular I was looking at the gflops rating for both the GTX 260 and HD 3200 . The GTX260 is coming in at 803 gflops. The HD 3200 is coming in at (wait for it) .... 56 ! No wonder it is struggling!!\

ljones
    Like my wife keeps telling me, "It's not the Gflop size that counts...... it's how you use it."

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Like my wife keeps telling me, "It's not the Gflop size that counts...... it's how you use it."
      Only because she loves you. She knows size counts.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
        Only because she loves you. She knows size counts.
        Why do you think I make sure I have the biggest Gflops in the neighborhood.

Comment

It only lasts a short time though, unless you keep on pouring money in to increase it!

Comment

you must have moved to china

Comment

Well to sum it up it looks like it is a tossup between a nvidia gtx 260 or the radeon 4850. The GTX 260 costs UKP143, the Radeon UKP135 (though it is branded as asus -- is it any good?!). The GTX295 is going to be out of my budget range x.x .

Both were found on ebay. And this seems to turn around my previous find of the nvidia being cheaper! Hmm. And looking at it, the radeon has 850 Stream processing units (SPUs) as opposed to the 200 or so on the nvidia. The radeon according to wikipedia comes in at around 1000gflops, the nvidia 806.

Links I used; (apart from ebay!)

For 200 extra gflops difference and all those extra SPUs on the radeon I wonder what the nvidia card is doing?! Both of those make my onboard HD 3200 performace look comical though!

ljones
              Last edited by ljones; 11 May 2009, 01:52 PM.

Comment

There are several versions of the 260; older ones had 192 shader processors, while new ones have 216, as well as there being a 55nm version with a slightly higher shader clock.
                Additionally, you can't really compare both ATI and nvidia cards just by specs. alone, since they use different architectures. Best to look at actual reviews and see which one performs better for your needs. In most games they perform similarly, the 260 taking the lead in certain games and the 4850 doing better in others. Both are similar in price, so it really comes down to preference and available features.
                I have a 4850 and it works fine with the latest fglrx. 3D performance on almost everything I have tried is identical to Windows (give or take a few frames). Performance with Composite (Compiz, KWIN) is still a bit shitty, but that will eventually get better. WINE is always a problem, but supposedly nvidia does better here; but given that most games I have tried don't even install properly without seriously hacking WINE I can't really comment on this.

Comment

Just one more point of confusion. On this site:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I read the Radeon 4850 needs a single 6-pin PCI Express power connector. I have a PCIE x16 Slot, but I cannot find the 6-pin power connector on my M3A78EM! What does it connect to?

ljones

Comment

Originally posted by ljones View Post
                    Just one more point of confusion. On this site:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I read the Radeon 4850 needs a single 6-pin PCI Express power connector. I have a PCIE x16 Slot, but I cannot find the 6-pin power connector on my M3A78EM! What does it connect to?

ljones
                    It's part of the powersupply, if you don't have one the card will most likely have a molex->6-pin converter you you'll be fine so long as you have two free molex connectors. Oh and before you buy the card make sure your powersupply is sufficent.

Comment

Working...
                    X