Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the graphics card (PCIE) with highest throughput for Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the graphics card (PCIE) with highest throughput for Linux?

Hello all ! (btw by highest throughput I am thinking of 3D throughput, i.e. speed, framerates etc).

Right now I'm using an asus M3A78-EM motherboard with an AMD Phenom II x4 CPU and 4GB of memory. The onboard graphics chipset is an ATI Radeon HD 3200 (Max 256MB shared memory). There is a PCIE x16 slot avaliable. I'm running 64 bit slackware (slamd64) and KDE4. Though I guess comparing KDE 4's 3D effects to a 3D game is no good -- it takes a *lot* more gruntwork to have smooth 3D graphics in a game as opposed to desktop 3d effects.

Only snag is that the onboard 3200 seems to be *really* slow. I have 3D working now without problems; 3D effects such as 'wobbly windows' works fine in KDE4, and so do 3D-based programs like second life and even the blender game "Yo frankie!" (2d performance is entirely another kettle of fish.....).

But I am noticing the framerates for these programs is *really* low. The blender game I mentioned if I increase the detail shows signs of struggling - smooth it certianly isn't; at highest detail the framerate is considerably worse. And second life itself can range between 20 and 8 fps - on its *lowest* settings. On its highest, and I understand this is a bit of an exaggeration, but it feels more like raytracing!

A friend of mine using windows and using a Radeon HD 4850 video card (video memory=1GB) (not onboard) on a normal ADSL (as am I) connection was getting 40+fps in second life at the same time in the same place (and with the graphics detail turned up to full; motherboard=M3A78CM, Same amount of memory as me, dual core AMD as opposed to my quad core). So I can deduce it isn't the program that is being slow at drawing/rendering.

(Sidenote: I must admit I have built PCs in the past, I used to even do it for a job in the late 90s/early 2000s. Some of the old QDI motherboards at the time had onboard video and even back then I remember finding the performance of on-board graphics vs. a card was terrible; the on-board video was always slooooooooow -- onboard sound was just as bad back then with lots of 'zipper' interference on the audio. Was hoping video performance would be better now in '09....!).

What I am looking for is a gamers' card, i.e. something that will give good framerates under linux. Snag is I am not sure which to choose - ati or nvidia (or maybe there's some other make out there). Just something that won't show signs of struggling and might have some sort of decent drivers (the ati catalyst drivers work, but only to a point it seems - or at least it seems with my current HD 3200).

My glxgears framerate comes in at around 680-810 fps....

Code:
    aaaaa@darkstar:~$ glxgears
    3486 frames in 5.0 seconds = 696.978 FPS
    3968 frames in 5.0 seconds = 793.581 FPS
    3845 frames in 5.0 seconds = 768.998 FPS
    3907 frames in 5.0 seconds = 780.328 FPS
    3943 frames in 5.0 seconds = 788.378 FPS
    4017 frames in 5.0 seconds = 803.340 FPS
    4058 frames in 5.0 seconds = 810.568 FPS
    3897 frames in 5.0 seconds = 779.266 FPS
    Output of lspci
    Code:
    root@darkstar:/home/aaaaa# lspci | grep HD
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    fgl_glxgears
    Code:
    aaaaa@darkstar:~$ fgl_glxgears
    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    1807 frames in 5.0 seconds = 361.400 FPS
    2084 frames in 5.0 seconds = 416.800 FPS
    2111 frames in 5.0 seconds = 422.200 FPS
    2116 frames in 5.0 seconds = 423.200 FPS
    2097 frames in 5.0 seconds = 419.400 FPS
    1882 frames in 5.0 seconds = 376.400 FPS
    glxinfo
    Code:
    glxinfo                                                                           
    name of display: :0.0                                                                               
    display: :0  screen: 0                                                                              
    direct rendering: Yes                                                                               
    server glx vendor string: ATI                                                                       
    server glx version string: 1.4
    ....though glxgears is no test of 3d performance.

Or maybe I should go for a different motherboard? Though I am guessing most of the mini ATX boards all have on board graphics?

Any recommendations or positive experiences?

thanks

ljones
    Last edited by ljones; 10 May 2009, 08:41 AM.

If you want to game and such, forget IGP solutions. If you are looking for card that works well with linux including usage with wine then really you only have one choice and that's nvidia. Any 9600 or greater nvidia card will give you good performance. Best bang for the buck out there right now is still the GTX 260 cards.

Comment

It would help if you tell us your resolution because there is very little point recommending a GTX260 for 1024*768 or such.

As for the fastest card under linux that would probably be the GTX295...

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
        It would help if you tell us your resolution because there is very little point recommending a GTX260 for 1024*768 or such.

As for the fastest card under linux that would probably be the GTX295...
        Well for a vast majority of games you would find that the GTX285 would be faster then the GTX295. SLI profile support is still present but lacking in linux.

Comment

Ooops x.x sorry, I forgot to mention my display resolution. It's 1680x1050 on an LCD widescreen.

ljones

Comment

In that case a GTX 260 would easily handle that.

Comment

Yup, you wont go wrong with a GTX260.

Comment

Looking on ebay, the GTX 260 looks like quite intresting. It's cheaper than my friends' Radeon HD 4850! Intresting they look similar spec wise as well. . The GTX295 costs a fortune and I'm guessing it is a very new card so maybe it won't work 100% in linux? (I read somewhere there were driver problems).

SP
                Last edited by ljones; 10 May 2009, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ljones View Post
                  Looking on ebay, the GTX 260 looks like quite intresting. It's cheaper than my friends' Radeon HD 4850! Intresting they look similar spec wise as well. . The GTX295 costs a fortune and I'm guessing it is a very new card so maybe it won't work 100% in linux? (I read somewhere there were driver problems).

SP
                  The 295 works as well in linux, it just that the second GPU isn't utilize all that much by games in linux.

If going for the GTX 260 look for the ones with 216 stream processors then the older versions that only had 192.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    The 295 works as well in linux, it just that the second GPU isn't utilize all that much by games in linux.

If going for the GTX 260 look for the ones with 216 stream processors then the older versions that only had 192.
                    Will do, hope its easy to find this out on places like ebay! While I was looking around though, I came across these two pages on wikipedia ....

In particular I was looking at the gflops rating for both the GTX 260 and HD 3200 . The GTX260 is coming in at 803 gflops. The HD 3200 is coming in at (wait for it) .... 56 ! No wonder it is struggling!!\

ljones

Comment

Working...
                    X