AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I'm not even sure why AMD bothered with this when it can't even beat the 5500 XT. Performancewise, I'm sure it beats it in pricing.
    Because they can yield a lot of small ICs and farm the money by selling them, perhaps? BTW currently 6500XT costs around 350EUR in EU, that's about 400 USD. Fun fact - all cards were sold out on the launch day. People bought them for f***ing 400 USD, and you are asking why AMD makes them LOL

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      So if my RX 580 dies the 4 or 5 year newer card is a downgrade? Wow. Just Wow.
      In terms of performance per watt it's an upgrade but for everything else it's a downgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

Because they can yield a lot of small ICs and farm the money by selling them, perhaps? BTW currently 6500XT costs around 350EUR in EU, that's about 400 USD. Fun fact - all cards were sold out on the launch day. People bought them for f***ing 400 USD, and you are asking why AMD makes them LOL
        Smaller die is reason enough. But AMD still doesn't profit from the inflated prices, only board makers do. If AMD sold the GPU for more, the MSRP would be way higher than $199.

Comment

Smaller die is reason enough. But AMD still doesn't profit from the inflated prices, only board makers do. If AMD sold the GPU for more, the MSRP would be way higher than $199.
          Sure, but MSRP of this product is already inflated, so AMD profits too. In "normal" times this would be absolute entry level dGPU with a MSRP under 100 USD. Also, NAVI24 is actually a mobile dGPU, which for me personally rises additional questions, like: perhaps laptops OEMs did not show a lot of interest in it, so AMD has repurposed this IC to desktop product with a "help gamers" marketing. Anyway. It's not technically bad product, it just has too many limitations for the current real world price.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            So if my RX 580 dies the 4 or 5 year newer card is a downgrade? Wow. Just Wow.
            Not only that, you could get a RX580 for well under 200€ back in the days ("new" ones are now also in the 600€ space). This card probably starts at 300€ MSRP and I bet you can't get it for that on the streets.

I'm happy that I bought my RX480 at the start of the mining boom, where it was already a bit more pricey but not too much. I thought about waiting for better prices but am now glad I didn't. It replaced an old HD 5770 wich still runs in another PC of a good friend, that card was just a little to weak for 2560x1440 on modern games. If the 480 runs for 9 years like my old card and even gets a second life in an old PC I really can't complain.
            If it would die on me, I probably wouldn't buy a new card and just live with my APU till prices are reasonable again. Those AAA games only get better and cheaper with time and there are enough indie titles to bridge a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
              Not only that, you could get a RX580 for well under 200€ back in the days ("new" ones are now also in the 600€ space). This card probably starts at 300€ MSRP and I bet you can't get it for that on the streets.

I'm happy that I bought my RX480 at the start of the mining boom, where it was already a bit more pricey but not too much. I thought about waiting for better prices but am now glad I didn't. It replaced an old HD 5770 wich still runs in another PC of a good friend, that card was just a little to weak for 2560x1440 on modern games. If the 480 runs for 9 years like my old card and even gets a second life in an old PC I really can't complain.
              If it would die on me, I probably wouldn't buy a new card and just live with my APU till prices are reasonable again. Those AAA games only get better and cheaper with time and there are enough indie titles to bridge a few years.
              I paid $120 USD for my 4GB RX 580. Found a great deal on eBay back at the very start of the boom. It replaced the $129 R7 260x I bought brand new and lasted me 7 good years. That card took me from Catalyst to Radeon to AMDGPU.

birdie Yep. And that's especially why this sucks. The maybe $20 a year it'll save in electricity...oh well...That just encourages me to offset my GPU with something like solar powered lighting, not spend that money on a downgrade.

Comment

If the RX 550 with roughly the same die size was sold for under 100€ i don't see how they are not making a big margin with a 7nm 100mm² die at tripple MSRP.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

In my opinion, it is uncertain whether it will take a few or more years.

At some point, some gamers will accept the fact that cloud gaming is more cost-effective compared to having a discrete GPU in a home PC.
                  Taking the Bus and Train is also more cost effective then owning a car, but its a terrible alternative for everything but the biggest city centers of the world. I just can go and drive wherever I like whenever I like, and the same is true for owning a own system.

And its not like cloud gaming services can get more GPUs then anyone else when the waver number is the limiting factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post

If the RX 550 with roughly the same die size was sold for under 100€ i don't see how they are not making a big margin with a 7nm 100mm² die at tripple MSRP.
                    Fab capacity is also more expensive today. But yes, it's possible they make more per die than they used to. But contrast that with the difference between $199 MSRP and up to $400 these are selling for, AIBs are still getting the lion's share.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                      And its not like cloud gaming services can get more GPUs then anyone else when the waver number is the limiting factor.
                      But ideally with cloud gaming you can service 3 to 4 players with one GPU by using day/night cycle over the world and having it utilized 24/7. But than everyone needs a good internet connection and even in germany there is a massive lack in certain areas.
                      Also im not a friend of staying online for singleplayer games. I mostly buy drm free stuff at gog to get those whenever, wherever benefits.

Edit:

Fab capacity is also more expensive today. But yes, it's possible they make more per die than they used to. But contrast that with the difference between $199 MSRP and up to $400 these are selling for, AIBs are still getting the lion's share.
                      Yeah true, lets see what happens if Russia and other countrys ban crypto currency and mining. Not that I support it, but gamers may benefit.
                      Last edited by Anux; 31 January 2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X