Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As We Prepare For 2022, Linux Still Doesn't Have Standardized Per-Client GPU Stats Reporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see the dependency issue for "Staff Technical Writer", myself - you don't need to have a degree in Electrical Engineering to have a degree in Engineering, after all, as there are other subdisciplines. There is also a tremendous amount of overlap and cross-pollination in workplace skillsets, as well - the words at the top of my degree tell me it's Genetics, but I've not done that seriously for more than a decade!

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Position "requirements" have always been suggestive, and not absolute. If you really believe you can make a contribution, apply, and if your other accomplishments and positions are appropriate, you could get that interview (and the job).
    Eh, that's debatable itself.

You apply through the "official" channels (online portal, e-mail to admin rep, etc) and if you don't tick the right boxes you'll get bounced even if you can do the job perfectly. Conversely, have an in with someone who wants to hire you and has the leverage to, and you can avoid all the hoop jumping - sometimes not even needing an interview.

While I would love to believe in a meritocracy, experience has shown me otherwise: it's not what you know, but who.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Aren't the Linux GPU driver positions all in Markham, Ontario? Not that it's not a nice place, but many probably don't want to relocate.
      Locations are more of a guideline. For those that want to work in an office, we can certainly hire at just about any of the AMD office locations. It really depends on the candidate. If you feel you are a good candidate, feel free to reach out to one of us directly in addition to official HR channels.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        bunch of unsubstantiated nonsense

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          bunch of unsubstantiated nonsense
          Might feel that way for you but he is correct.
          Last edited by aht0; 17 December 2021, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
            Might feel that way for you but he is correct.
            might feel that way for you but i am correct

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              might feel that way for you but i am correct
              In what in particular he is wrong and you right?

He is right about Windows Driver Model. As long as WDM version would match, drivers are interchangeable between different versions of Windows (which incidentally means different versions of Windows kernel as well). For example, you can use Windows 10 drivers on Windows 11 without issues (tested). WDM is also largely backwards compatible, so you can usually force Windows 7 drivers on Windows 8 or Windows 10. (also tested). It's good because when manufacturer has not not updated some particular drivers, users have an alternative option.

About Linux kernel API's - is he wrong? If "yes", then in what sense? Because he was literally linking to kernel.org page which was stating
              Linux does not have a binary kernel interface, nor does it have a stable kernel interface.

Comment

In what in particular he is wrong and you right?
                everywhere
                He is right about Windows Driver Model. As long as WDM version would match, drivers are interchangeable between different versions of Windows (which incidentally means different versions of Windows kernel as well). For example, you can use Windows 10 drivers on Windows 11 without issues (tested). WDM is also largely backwards compatible, so you can usually force Windows 7 drivers on Windows 8 or Windows 10. (also tested). It's good because when manufacturer has not not updated some particular drivers, users have an alternative option.
                first, it's bullshit, because when vista was released, all creative sound card users were left without audio drivers for several years. second, he argued about "ease of development" and you are posting some unrelated bullshit which has nothing to do with development. i.e. you are just cluelessly typing words without understanding their meaning
                About Linux kernel API's - is he wrong? If "yes", then in what sense? Because he was literally linking to kernel.org page which was stating
                he is utterly wrong because stable driver api is nonsense, as is literally said by kernel.org page https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documenta...i-nonsense.rst
                and if you read it, it has summary "You think you want a stable kernel interface, but you really do not, and you don't even know it", i.e. it debunks imbecilic claims of superiority of windows model, linking to it was counterproductive
                Last edited by pal666; 21 December 2021, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Perhaps bring MS DOS for an example too?

Until Vista there was no driver interoperability between consecutive Windows versions . None whatsoever.
                  Things have changed from Vista (which has been EOL for a decade) onwards. Vista drivers became usable on W7, W7 drivers on W8, W8/8.1 drivers on W10, W10 drivers are perfectly usable on W11. Don't even start on amount of different versions that are labeled W10.
                  ​​​​​
                  You mentioned Creative? Well, I owned emu10k1-based Creative card. When W8.1 came and I decided to upgrade, I simply used force-loaded (one-time action) W7 driver, and did same when I needed to use it on W10. Changed driver's included executable configuration utilities to run in W7 compatibility mode and all.. just worked. Both on W8.1 and W10.

Radeon driver made for W10 just works on W11. Same with my gaming mouse, joystick, headset..
                  ​​​​
                  ​​​​​​In Linux.... gaah.. wanna use some driver present in different kernel version, start porting.​​​​
                  Last edited by aht0; 22 December 2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X