Blender 3.0 Benchmarks - Performance Across 19 Different NVIDIA GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

So blender is basically forcing nvidia on them, and that's a good thing? Yes, they are not tech savy, which means that they expect to get their money's worth in performance. But instead they have to make a specific tech consideration, and not so much tech as BRAND consideration, if they want good performance. You are contradicting yourself here...

Do you realize that blender doesn't need to ditch optix to make a moral stand, just to provide an equally well engineered solution for amd. Adoy!

The problem has never been with supporting nvidia, just with supporting nvidia exclusively, made even worse by the proprietary factor of it. I would certainly not consider it better if blender didn't optimize for neither even if that will technically be more fair, my point all along has been that they are, or at least should be under moral obligation to ensure their product runs as well as the underlying actual hardware provides, rather than the hardware brand.

I personally would see just as big of a problem if they supported amd tech exclusively. I don't care about brands, I care about performance and software quality. And having brand specific requirements does not quality software make, at least in my book.
    For what it worth, AMD OpenCL driver on Linux and all Windows drivers are proprietary. The only difference between Nvidia and AMD is that AMD provides some opensource OpenGL/Vulkan/etc. drivers for Linux while novideo does not. You still has to install proprietary amdgpu-pro drivers to get OpenCL support (even though you can install only OpenCL support, without everything else). I am not sure this is such big of an achievement. Sure, it is nice to have some parts of GPU drivers OSS, but still.

I myself an AMD user (both CPU and GPU), but I don't think Blender has some moral obligation to provide special support for AMD. I suspect that most Blender users use novideo on Windows, so it kind of makes sense that Blender devs concentrate on their main base and offer AMD GPUs support on Linux a bit later. Meanwhile, v2.93 works just as well as before until v3.1 is out.
    Last edited by undefined; 17 December 2021, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X