No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 6600 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gamers Nexus slammed this card in terms of value. They recommend sticking with the previous generation or buying the still poor value 3060 because it has more features.

This is a mostly pointless discussion though because the actual price of cards in the market is ridiculous and availability is practically nonexistent.

Still running my 10 and 15-year-old cards because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
      You couldn't pay me to take a Gigabyte anything though. I wouldn't even review one if I were in that business. Even if this board beat Nvidia hands down, and was the best in class such that it beat the XT on price/performance. Every single product I've had from Gigabyte has died from capacitor failure, even after they supposedly redesigned and quit using those fluid based caps. Every. Single. Damned. Item. The longest one lasted 18 months from purchase. That includes 2 motherboards, two GPUs. One MB was from before the change in caps, the second was giving them a second chance after their supposed power system redesigns. Never again. Actually it was a total of 3 GPUs, but the 3rd wasn't a Gigabyte GPU, it was just trashed by the 2nd motherboard cooking off.
      Yeah, that's generally known as so-called "anecdotal evidence".

And just in case you need any more of it:

My Gigabyte mainboard from 2008 is still working absolutely fine till this day!
      I mean, it's only been a little bit more than 13 years, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724
        Why would I buy this over a RTX 3060 for the same MSRP?
        Good luck finding a 3060 at MSRP.

I checked out my local store today, and they actually had these available at MSRP, at least for the moment. We'll see if stock/prices hold up or go like everything else.

Quick price comparison:
        1030 - $109
        7750 - $219
        1050 Ti - $279
        6600 - $329
        3060 - $409 (sold out)
        1660 - $479, but a few were in stock
        6600XT - $479
        6700XT - $799
        3080 - $1099 (1 card)
        Pricing on the 6800XT and 6900XT is downright insane.

The nvidia cards in particular were in very short supply, other than the 1030 and 1050.
        Last edited by smitty3268; 13 October 2021, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpetso View Post
          Michael, I pinged the wrong Phoronix account at the 6600 XT review so re-posting my question.

I highly appreciate that you're adding power consumption and performance-per-watt measurements in addition to plain FPS. Would it be possible to also measure idle desktop power draw and possibly even power draw when watching YouTube videos? Most time is spent not gaming (here at least), hence this metric matters for power consumption over time.
          Agree, for example power in idle..and watching movies..

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post

I'm not sure about the way people measure market share for GPUs. It is true that consoles do not use discrete graphics, but does that matter? They are effectively PCs these days and they are used for gaming. If we add in all the consoles from the last two generations, of which Playstation and X-Box were all AMD, how does AMD's market share look vs. Nvidia's then?

Of course, the various graphs make it clear that Intel integrated graphics rule the roost in an absolute sense, but it depends what you are measuring. If you disallow Intel desktop integrated graphics and AMD desktop/laptop APUs as gaming items, but include consoles, I believe AMD's position isn't as bad as the discrete card market share makes it look. That won't put an RX 6600 on your desk or mine for a reasonable price today, which is a legitimate problem, but as much as it annoys me, I can't say that AMD isn't serving the gaming market. They just aren't serving me (or you).

On this card in particular, the choice of PCIe x8 wiring and short memory bus are disappointing. Infinity cache has turned out to be a great feature, but it obviously cannot make up for halving bus width... in either case. I had previously hoped that an RX 6500 would appear to serve the low end, but if it actually does have a 64-bit bus, then it will throttle itself even at 1080 and be a real piece of crap. I hope AMD doesn't deliberately hobble its own cards with RDNA3.
            What are you talking about? They did waste the 99% of their rental TSMC 7nm wafers to produce Console Apus for uneducated people, promoting hurtful habits. Then they only had room for a few thousand PC Gpus. RDNA2 ghost Gpu generation.

Comment

Strange Brigade min FPS on NVIDIA seems exponential (3090 has 71 but 3060 has 5). What's going on?
              Has NVIDIA started to cripple the driver or did thermal throttling kick in?

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
                On this card in particular, the choice of PCIe x8 wiring and short memory bus are disappointing. Infinity cache has turned out to be a great feature, but it obviously cannot make up for halving bus width...
                For the vast majority of games, the effect is negligible between gen3 and gen4:
                When the Radeon RX 6600 XT launched with an interface limited to PCI-Express 4.0 x8, lots of discussion emerged about how AMD crippled the bandwidth, and how much it affects the gaming experience. In this article, we're taking a close look at exactly that, comparing 22 titles running at PCIe 4.0, 3.0, 2.0, and even 1.1. Frametimes are included, too.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                  Insultingly bad value.

I'll hold on to my Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 SE bought used in 2018 for 190€ for dear life. This is not the time to throw money out of the window for a lazily cobbled together piece of s**t.
                  The bar is so low in the GPU market now that all manufacturer have to do to sell cards, is to make them (and they're still failing at it).
                  Indeed. It is very telling when after 5 and a half years, i have to spend almost DOUBLE the money i spent back then, to get a new AMD card similar in performance. This is no shortage, that is BS. I don't buy it. 7nm have been mature by now and 5nm is around the corner. Smaller transistors equal more similar-performance chips per waffer. It is that simple. You can't have so many die shrinks in 5.5 years and still need to pay DOUBLE the money for equal performance. That is no shortage, that is simply a manufactured "shortage" in order to increase profits. I don't care what the official corporate mouthpieces say.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Strange Brigade min FPS on NVIDIA seems exponential (3090 has 71 but 3060 has 5). What's going on?
                    Has NVIDIA started to cripple the driver or did thermal throttling kick in?
                    Nvidia always has throttling issues in all cards. Their throttling is designed in such a way as to perform the best in short bursts in order to get great benchmark results, but if the card gets hot after prolonged use it loses much of its power.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Yeah, that's generally known as so-called "anecdotal evidence".

And just in case you need any more of it:

My Gigabyte mainboard from 2008 is still working absolutely fine till this day!
                      I mean, it's only been a little bit more than 13 years, but still...
                      It is not anecdotal though. Gigabyte has produced some shitty products in the last decade. I had a gigabyte amd gpu die 18 months from purchase too.

Comment

Working...
                      X