GeForce RTX 30 vs. AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series Vulkan Ray-Tracing On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
    (..) and then there is even more going on in full path tracing like Minecraft (..)
    Minecraft with ray tracing is like a stinky bum in a new Ferrari.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Only when Nvidia implements it. There are various 3rd party ray-traced (or path-traced) shaders for it that look miles better. With raytracing and a slightly higher resolution texture pack, Minecraft outshines many newer games. Some newer texture packs are specifically designed for ray-traced shaders and include VBR for enhanced textures and shadows.

Also, since you seem to be disparaging the game itself: Minecraft is an extremely popular game even in 2021, and not just a game for kids. It's a perfectly viable survival game popular among a wide variety of ages. It receives semi-yearly content updates and the modding community is as strong as ever.

It also happens to be the perfect candidate to show off the benefits of ray tracing, as it's both fairly easy to run normally, and comes with absolute trash lighting by default so the jump to RT both doesn't make the game run too bad, but also leads to an gigantic leap in visual effect.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Minecraft with ray-tracing is like ray-tracing a stinky bum.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Also, since you seem to be disparaging the game itself: Minecraft is an extremely popular game even in 2021
          I know, I'm sick and tired of pewdiepie having 200 billion videos playing minecraft. Thank god he's done with this blocky degenerate game.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
            A bigger question than speed for me is if you render the exact same scene do you get the same image or are they producing wildly different scenes?
            Both of them support the Vulkan ray tracing spec. As long as they are comformant with this spec, the rendered pictures should be indistinguishable (although technically it's possible that they are not fully identical, which is totally okay).

Comment

A bigger question than speed for me is if you render the exact same scene do you get the same image or are they producing wildly different scenes?
              That's a fantastic question! Since it's being done through Vulkan, one would assume they should produce the same image, but I really don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Both of them support the Vulkan ray tracing spec. As long as they are comformant with this spec, the rendered pictures should be indistinguishable (although technically it's possible that they are not fully identical, which is totally okay).
                True but side by side screen caps would be useful. If they aren't doing the same thng then the numbers are meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  Minecraft with ray-tracing is like ray-tracing a stinky bum.
                  I am not here to judge how bad or how good game minecraft is.

But proper global illumination from path tracing is making light itself very realistic and makes game much better in case of exploring caves etc. Quake2 also looks bad, but pathtracing is impressive still.

Also what benchmarks here skips, is that Minecraft/Quake uses denoising (because they have to) those benchmarks do not use denoisers. AMD might have great Raytracing performance, but if it is poor at denoising, it will be shit in real use.

Comment

True but side by side screen caps would be useful. If they aren't doing the same thng then the numbers are meaningless.
                    The possible difference comes from stuff like potential compiler optimizations. You would not be able to tell the difference with a naked eye.

Comment

Working...
                    X