Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex/AT
    replied
    Give or take, the oh-so-beautiful-future ARM world is purely proprietary now.
    With everything that comes along.

Leave a comment:

• SteamPunker
    replied
    Well, nevertheless, I appreciate your work and contributions. Don't let cynicism get the best of you!

Leave a comment:

• libv
    replied
    Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post

I'm sorry to read that, man. I hope you've found a better and more appreciative employer by now. It would certainly seem like your expertise would be in high demand in this industry right now. Anyway, thanks for your efforts to push for open source drivers!
    I was forced to become self-employed, as between modesetting, freeing ATI, free ARM GPUs, and the insanity of fd.o politics, i am pretty much blackballed everywhere. I get hired for my expertise, for great money, but i invariably end up fixing build systems and teaching "embedded" people how to use git, while i get to see less technically capable people have a thriving career based on what i have trailblazed. And then i get to work with their sometimes very shortsighted and clunky code, reminding me of what could have been.

So no, as that is not how this game works.
    Last edited by libv; 22 July 2021, 03:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SteamPunker
    replied
    Originally posted by libv View Post

-- the guy who started all this and got to enjoy unemployment because of it.
    I'm sorry to read that, man. I hope you've found a better and more appreciative employer by now. It would certainly seem like your expertise would be in high demand in this industry right now. Anyway, thanks for your efforts to push for open source drivers!

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    RK3588 should have Valhall. If it ever gets released.

Leave a comment:

• libv
    replied
    Originally posted by daniels View Post

No, it hasn't been paid for by anyone except us. The rest of your post is pretty accurate, apart from the characterisation of it being 'a little bit' of work ...
    So what stopped collabora from supporting ARM GPU work before?

Leave a comment:

• StarterX4
    replied
    Don't worry, Samsung is going to abandon these crappy Arm's GPUs starting with Exynos 2200 shipping with AMD GPU.

Leave a comment:

• daniels
    replied
    No offence taken at all, and as you can see from the commit logs it's not my work anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    Originally posted by daniels View Post
    No, it hasn't been paid for by anyone except us. The rest of your post is pretty accurate, apart from the characterisation of it being 'a little bit' of work ...
    Cool. And sorry, I didn't really mean to undervalue your or anyone's work. That was a poor choice of words. What I meant is that it was probably small amount of work compared to what there would be to sell if someone was willing to buy it. Surely this is very cool and important work that you are doing.

Leave a comment:

• daniels
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomin View Post
    I think the blog post is an advertisement for the work that Collabora does. Doing a little bit of work to write about and get word around that "btw, we do this sort of thing and we are good at it. Would you be interested in buying some of that?" They even ask interested people (projects) to contact at the end.

It could be of course that someone has already paid for this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X