Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon HD 4890 On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Radeon HD 4890 On Linux

With the launch of the Radeon HD 4800 series in June of last year, AMD made an evolutionary leap in their Linux support. For the first time, when introducing a brand new graphics processor (the RV770) it was greeted by same-day Linux support, compared to the past where Linux users had to wait many months for any new level of support. Not only was there this Linux support via the Catalyst driver, but there was even open-source support in the X.Org driver the very same month. In the months that followed, they then introduced CrossFire support, OverDrive, and other features to put their Linux Catalyst suite closer to their Windows driver. This morning AMD is announcing a high-end refresh of the RV770 GPU that will be known as the RV790 and is found in the Radeon HD 4890 graphics card. Is AMD continuing to play ball with Linux? We will tell you this morning as we look closely at the ASUS Radeon HD 4890 on Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A damn nice card that is. Let's hope that the final Catalyst 9.4 driver release will run as fine as the Catalyst 9.5 () Beta you used and that UVD(2) support is coming soon.

But we're reaching a point where faster graphic cards are becoming useless for normal Linux users, because the games simply do not need this power.

Comment

Nice card. Not worth the upgrade from an 4870, but if you're buying now, it's a good performer. Personally though, I would wait for the HD5870.

Comment

Thanks Michael vor another Great Artikle.

Comment

Why not squeeze a GeForce GTX 285 into that benchmark since you suggest that is the card which this one is meant to compete with?

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
            Why not squeeze a GeForce GTX 285 into that benchmark since you suggest that is the card which this one is meant to compete with?
            I would like to see the comparison between HD 4890 and GTX 285 too. It would greatly show which card is better, or has better support under linux. (I have a feeling that GTX would be better in benchmarks, but prove me wrong.)

Comment

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
              I would like to see the comparison between HD 4890 and GTX 285 too. It would greatly show which card is better, or has better support under linux. (I have a feeling that GTX would be better in benchmarks, but prove me wrong.)
              Me too.

Thanks for review.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
                Count me on that too!

Comment

I think some of you are mistaken. The 4890OC edition is meant to compete with the GTX 285($350~), the 4890($250) is priced closer to the GTX 280($290~). So throwing in a GTX 280 would be about right.

Comment

There should be a GTX 275 out soon too, cheaper than GTX 285 but nearly as fast as the bigger brother. Btw. it would be no problem to use a "working" control file with other drivers

Comment

Working...
                    X