No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon HD 4890 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can this card do compiz+games and compiz+movies?

Comment

Unfortunately Phoronix generally seems to avoid comparing cards from different chip makers on the same box for reasons only they know. My guess is that we will not see that comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
        Unfortunately Phoronix generally seems to avoid comparing cards from different chip makers on the same box for reasons only they know. My guess is that we will not see that comparison.
        More like limitations imposed by NVIDIA on not having their AIBs send out new NVIDIA cards to Phoronix...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

They could send it to me too *g*

Comment

Simple mistake here on the second page; idle power for the 4890 should be 60 watts not 160 watts if we go by the statistics on the slides on the first page.

Originally posted by Phoronix on Page 2
            The maximum board power consumption for the Radeon HD 4890 is 190 Watts while it should idle at around 160 Watts. The Radeon HD 4870 had a maximum power consumption of 160 Watts, but it idled at 90 Watts.
            Anyways, great review on this just-released card! I was so shocked and happy to see my RSS feed show an article from you guys on the 4890 on the day of the official release. This was a very thorough guide and review. I find it very important because I am deeply considering purchasing an ATI Radeon 4890.

Thanks!

Edit: Actually, idle tests are showing it at 160 watts. Maybe the slide is wrong?
            Last edited by GreatWalrus; 02 April 2009, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              More like limitations imposed by NVIDIA on not having their AIBs send out new NVIDIA cards to Phoronix...
              Is there anything we can do to help out without spending much cash on our side?

Comment

Originally posted by superppl View Post
                Tell NVIDIA to support Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by superppl View Post
                  Tell NVIDIA and their different AIB partners (eVGA, ASUS, MSI, BFG Tech, et al) that you are a customer that uses Linux and would appreciate Linux benchmarks and more information on their products, through channels like Phoronix.com.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Nice article

Now I'm looking forward to free 3D and power management.
                    Even if the open drivers are a bit slower, with such a card you will probably notice no difference, will you?

Comment

Well you have to deal with 2 drivers currently:

a) play a game -> fglrx

b) watch tearingfree video -> ati/radeon

Basically fglrx is a joke, but R600+ has got no 3d support in mesa at all currently, not even enough for compiz. You can at least watch videos with xv on Nvidia and when you disable composite (maybe a bit stupid restriction) then you get vdpau h264 video accelleration too (tearfree without composite).

Comment

Working...
                      X