AMD Announces The Radeon RX 6700 XT For $479

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    and you tell me i can not run a single 600 watt 12nm RDNA2 card with my 1500watt PSU ?
    You're the only one saying that. What I said is that a 600W PSU (minus say, 100W for a 65W CPU and accessories) won't be able to handle a 300W TDP GPU because the GPU is (electrically) not an electric heater.

One of those loads is electrically constant. There will be no spikes, and it does not require a minimum voltage. Voltage drops? No problem, it still is heating!

The other load is not constant and requires a minimum voltage. Those high power draw spikes lower the voltage of your entire system, and can easily bring everything to its knees.

Comment

• Originally posted by ms178 View Post

the sooner you get off the solar and wind bandwagon the sooner we can move on, solar and wind power is dead for most cases. it costs way too much and people don't like it.
      what a pathetic attempt at trolling. I'm not on any bandwagon.

The cost of MWh of electricity produced from renewables is much cheaper than that produced by nuclear and coal power plants, and on top of that most nuclear projects are either behind, experiencing massive cost overruns, or both. The public and politicians don't want to have anything to do with nuclear power. For all sakes and purposes, nuclear is dead. Only Putin can go and sell nuclear to poor African countries without any infrastructure at this point. lol. You shit talking me won't change any of that; at this point this is all economics.

Comment

• Originally posted by lyamc View Post
        What part of "less profitable" don't you understand? Did you miss the part about having a better return on investment?
        And knowing that it takes about 4 years to build one of these factories means that they plan to run the factory for a minimum of x amount of years so it is able to pay for itself.
        i do not have stock of these companies. i do not have money to invest in this market.
        if something is "less profitable" but the super rich investors do invest anyway... then who cares?

sure they run it for many years.

whats your problem? if they can build something like:

a backport of the RDNA2 architectur to 12nm
        512bit memory interface card would have 350watt TDP ~14TFLOPS 4608 shaders ~500mm² die size in 12nm
        with 16gb Vram GDDR5
        with similar performance to a radeon-rx-6700-x

and people buy it.. what is your problem about it ?

then you say it again: "less profitable" but who cares? i as a consumer i don't care.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

you have 2 big mistages here:

one you think i am against nuclear power plants. i am not. i personally do not care about what kind of power plant we use because ANY typ of power plant willl do the job.

your second error is this: you tell us that france is nice because of power plant but winter of 2020/2021 did show that france was forces to buy big quanity of german energy and this will lower the german energy prices because the need of subsidize it is lower. if you search it you can read articles about it. it is very large amount of energy germany sold to france in the winter of 2020/2021.

and this lowers the need of the subsidize money to wind/solar. we can say this winter was the first time german power plant stradegie was a big win.
          I don't assume anything of you, so no errors were made here.

If anything the French proved us this winter that it is foolish to make us dependant on energy imports to overcome the shortcomings of wind/solar during that time of the year. I hear that argument a lot of solar/wind advocates - but now we have seen that a) a good which is in high demand is going to cost us more when we need it and b) that we can't rely on our neighbours to have enough spare capacity to help us out when we need it and c) we cannot even keep our moral conscience by relying on these imports, especially dirty coal power plants of Eastern Europe.

Also the French do their heating with electricity (which would be insanely expensive in Germany due to our elctricity costs) and the cold winter this year caused a surge in electricity demand right at the time when some nuclear plants were taken off-grid for maintenance. You are also praising the rare exception to the rule here. The way more common scenario is that in summer/autumn we produce too much energy on windy and sunny days and have to pay our neighbours for taking our excess-energy (or get only very little) to stabilize the grid. And we usually import it ourselves when the prices are high. That is not economically sound, if you ask me.

Also please read my post carefully as I am aware of some of the French shortcomings but these do not discredit the French strategy. Their nuclear plants are getting old, they underinvested in new plants over four decades and Flamanville is not exactly a great poster project in terms of construction costs. These problems are not speaking against using more of nuclear energy in general as they are a question of good management. There are innovations in reactor technology which can only be realized by building these newest types. Also the Chinese show us that they can build traditional nuclear plants on budget and in a reasonable time frame, we simply need better project management and a pool of talented workers with a stable supply of new plants. There is also a great variety in reactor technologies. Some are better suited than others for civilian use, the selection process is highly political, too. Or else we already would have gotten these molten salt reactors decades ago. You can watch some of Kirk Sorensen's videos on that topic if the physics, technology and history behind these interests you.
          Last edited by ms178; 05 March 2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

you talk about lower complexity... LOL very funny... just buy such a battery system and you will be surprised how complex these battery systems are. this is not some low-tech this is really hightech shit.
            DC doesn't have to deal with power factor.

Honestly, talking to you is a waste of time.

Comment

then you say it again: "less profitable" but who cares? i as a consumer i don't care.
              Without the profit motive, there is little incentive to continue to innovate.

So, as the consumer, you care the most, since you want to buy good products.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
                The cost of MWh of electricity produced from renewables is much cheaper than that produced by nuclear and coal power plants, and on top of that most nuclear projects are either behind, experiencing massive cost overruns, or both
                Good luck finding enough land to meet demand. Once you go offshore with the turbines, the cost increases by 4x

Nuclear beats everything in efficiency and cost for the amount of land.

The downside is that it requires a butt-ton of water and produces ionizing radiation.

The cheapest, most consistent, and least "bad for the planet" is hydroelectric.

Comment

• Originally posted by lyamc View Post
                  You're the only one saying that. What I said is that a 600W PSU (minus say, 100W for a 65W CPU and accessories) won't be able to handle a 300W TDP GPU because the GPU is (electrically) not an electric heater.
                  One of those loads is electrically constant. There will be no spikes, and it does not require a minimum voltage. Voltage drops? No problem, it still is heating!
                  The other load is not constant and requires a minimum voltage. Those high power draw spikes lower the voltage of your entire system, and can easily bring everything to its knees.
                  my threadripper is 180W i had 4 vega64 it is 1180 watt the rest mainboard and ssd maybe 50 watt...
                  1410watt and my PSU is 1500 watt i had zero problems.

i do know no one of my friends who has 600 watt PSU even people who only have like 200watt TDP buy 850 watt PSU because the high number looks good and it is cheap.

and why even calculate a 65 watt cpu ? do you really belive someone who puts an 400-600 watt GPU into a case will use a 65watt cpu?... i am 100% sure they use 140 watt 5950X or a threadripper pro with like 240watt...

and for sure they will not buy a 600 psu but instead 850 or more watt.-

my PSU costs 250€(1500 watt) ... but there are also cheaper ones.

✔ Preisvergleich für Mars Gaming MPII850 850W ATX 2.3 ✔ Bewertungen ✔ Produktinfo ⇒ Lüfter: 120mm • Lautstärke: 14dB(A) (Hersteller) • Kabelmanagement: teilmodular • Anschlüsse: 1x 20/24-Pi… ✔ Netzteile ✔ Testberichte ✔ Günstig kaufen

850 watt is 55€

✔ Preisvergleich für Kolink KL Series Modular 1000M 1000W ATX 2.3 ✔ Bewertungen ✔ Produktinfo ⇒ Lüfter: 140mm • Kabelmanagement: vollmodular • Anschlüsse: 1x 20/24-Pin, 1x 4/8-Pin ATX12V, 4x 6/8-Pin PC… ✔ Netzteile ✔ Testberichte ✔ Günstig kaufen

1000 watt is 117€...

i really don't see any problem...

Comment

my PSU costs 250€(1500 watt) ... but there are also cheaper ones.

850 watt is 55€

1000 watt is 117€...

i really don't see any problem...
                    1500W PSU is 6.00W/€

1000W PSU is 8.55W/€

850W PSU is 15.45W/€

Also, PSUs are most efficient when load is between ~40% to ~90%, and even then they're usually around 90% efficient with the AC -> DC conversion.

The 12V only PSUs will help with the low power consumption.

--------

I haven't even brought up the amount of literal metal and components that are required to get that heat out of the system. Your costs increase exponentially.

--------

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                    my threadripper is 180W i had 4 vega64 it is 1180 watt the rest mainboard and ssd maybe 50 watt...
                    1410watt and my PSU is 1500 watt i had zero problems.
                    I seriously doubt that you are hitting those 4 vegas even close to 100% utilization.
                    Last edited by lyamc; 05 March 2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                      I don't assume anything of you, so no errors were made here.
                      ok. if the kind of power plant is not the problem then we can set zero point energy space energy free and do free energy power generators... what is 100 times cheaper than nuclear, coal, oil, gas, solar, wind, and so one and so one.
                      Free energy generators are at 0.0001€ per kwh.

the only problem about this is political in the last 80years they did make this top secret for national defence reasons.
                      but imagine first world peace comes and the national defence reasons is no longer nessesary...
                      then the world can have free energy power planst for like 0.0001€ per kwh.

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                      If anything the French proved us this winter that it is foolish to make us dependant on energy imports to overcome the shortcomings of wind/solar during that time of the year. I hear that argument a lot of solar/wind advocates - but now we have seen that a) a good which is in high demand is going to cost us more when we need it and b) that we can't rely on our neighbours to have enough spare capacity to help us out when we need it and c) we cannot even keep our moral conscience by relying on these imports, especially dirty coal power plants of Eastern Europe.
                      really dude... you talk like germany did buy energy from france... this is not the case in winter 2020/2021...
                      believe it or not but germany is in europe the NR1 in export of energy.
                      they depent on us... germany has a trade surplus in electrical power.

"it is foolish to make us dependant on energy imports to overcome the shortcomings of wind/solar during that time of the year."

right.. but right now germany has trade surplus in electrical power.
                      even france with a lot of nuclear power plant buy from us.

Also the French do their heating with electricity (which would be insanely expensive in Germany due to our elctricity costs)
                      this is only right if you do not have a power plant. my family have multibe power plant and battery system if we head with electricity it is similar low cost than what french people do.

and the cold winter this year caused a surge in electricity demand right at the time when some nuclear plants were taken off-grid for maintenance.
                      this is a sad story for nuclear power and a big win for germany LOL
                      you love nuclear power and if nuclear power fails you are sad... and i don't care.

if a nation like france puts their bet stake on nuclear power and germany does their bet stake on wine/solar
                      and something like this happens then france lose and germany wins.

but you still claim nuclear power is better.

You are also praising the rare exception to the rule here. The way more common scenario is that in summer/autumn we produce too much energy
                      there is nothing like "too much energy" you can always shut down some power plants.

and i do not praise rare exception i praise reality.

on windy and sunny days and have to pay our neighbours for taking our excess-energy (or get only very little) to stabilize the grid. And we usually import it ourselves when the prices are high. That is not economically sound, if you ask me.
                      right now germany makes money on export electric energy.
                      and i am sure this will stay this way the next 30 years.

the true fact is: germany did invest a lot in this sector and the other countries in EU did not invest in electric energy power plants.

this now hit them very hard. (and i do not mean invest in solar/wind also build new nuclear power plant would also do the job)

Also please read my post carefully as I am aware of some of the French shortcomings but these do not discredit the French strategy. Their nuclear plants are getting old, they underinvested in new plants over four decades and Flamanville is not exactly a great poster project in terms of construction costs.
                      in my point of view this all do in fact discredit the French strategy.
                      count on old power plants and underinvesting on new power plants...
                      "over four decades" of missmanagment in this sector.
                      and in the rare cases of build new power plants they do a failure... yes yes yes-

believe me in the next 30 years France will pay every year more money to germany for energy.
                      this French people are stupid in this field.

and again i do not say: invest in solar/wind... any power plant will do but they do not invest in this sector.

These problems are not speaking against using more of nuclear energy in general as they are a question of good management. There are innovations in reactor technology which can only be realized by building these newest types. Also the Chinese show us that they can build traditional nuclear plants on budget and in a reasonable time frame, we simply need better project management and a pool of talented workers with a stable supply of new plants. There is also a great variety in reactor technologies. Some are better suited than others for civilian use, the selection process is highly political, too. Or else we already would have gotten these molten salt reactors decades ago. You can watch some of Kirk Sorensen's videos on that topic if the physics, technology and history behind these interests you.
                      "There are innovations in reactor technology which can only be realized by building these newest types."

and the joke is they dont do it... so they will pay the price and will pay germany for more and more energy.

did you know that germany long long time ago had the most modern reactor of all time ? and they shut it down to kill the technology ? ...

the shutdown of THTR300 was to total scam... it was the URAN/PLUTONIUM MAFIA who disliked the Idea that people can build nuclear power plant without the use of uran or plutonium.

it was thorium based. so you see a country like germany invest in new technology and the MAFIA just kills it.

the story how they manage to shut it down was a comlpete scam.
                      it was the Chernobyl nuclear rain what caused the spike in radiation not a leak in the THTR300...
                      Last edited by qarium; 05 March 2021, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X