No announcement yet.

AMD Announces The Radeon RX 6700 XT For $479

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is overall unfair. Yes, I would rather buy this card from AMD's website for $480 over a MSI 3060 at Best Buy for around $500. However, who asked for another card that can go blow for blow sometimes with the 3070 on non ray tracing loads? You could have just given the lower binned 6800s a $50 price drop and called it a day instead of splitting an assembly line for another card that is being compared to the 3070. How about something most gamers can afford? The most popular card, the 1060 would have released just over $300 dollars (adjusted for 2021).

My opinion is based on the performance I have seen from the AMD presentation slides. Which more likely then not, selectively only show cased the best results from their own benchmarks. Hopefully, I can feel otherwise when the real world perfomance stuff shows up but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
      This is overall unfair. Yes, I would rather buy this card from AMD's website for $480 over a MSI 3060 at Best Buy for around $500. However, who asked for another card that can go blow for blow sometimes with the 3070 on non ray tracing loads? You could have just given the lower binned 6800s a $50 price drop and called it a day instead of splitting an assembly line for another card that is being compared to the 3070.
      Smaller die = more GPUs per wafer

Is it really so hard to figure out?

Comment

What's the hashrate will be like? Hopefully benchmarks will include mining tests. 👍😁

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post

Smaller die = more GPUs per wafer

Is it really so hard to figure out?
          That was my biggest concern. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
            How about something most gamers can afford?
            my idea was a DDR4/DDR5 card with infinity cache and bridgman already told me that its a nice idea.
            the problem why RTX3000 is so expensive it is because DDR6x is expensive and the problem why RX6000 cards are expensive it is because GDDR6 is also expensive and the HBM2 cards the ram is even more expensive.
            RX 6700 XT is expensive for the same reason-

if you use cheap DDR5 instead at 256bit interface you get like 225GB/s yes this alone would not make a great card but if you also put a 128mb infinity cache into the card it should result in great performance per dollar.
            also aside of performance per dollar a card like this could also do some magic in the high-end field to and this is the case if your compute task need a lot of vRAM with DDR5 you could build a GPU card with 256GB of vRAM...
            if your high-end task does not need much speed but instead a lot of ram this card could do magic.

if you want compare the costs of ram it is this way:

DDR4 < DDR5 < GDDR6 < GDDR6x < HBM2

sure DDR4/5 is slow but it is cheap... yes HBM2 is the fastest but it is expensive...

infinity cache is fast to this means combine DDR5 with infinity cache could result in some magic performance per dollar
            Last edited by qarium; 03 March 2021, 04:17 PM.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

i really like these 6000 series GPU's from AMD... I am looking forward of getting one sub $250 model, which will have the most performance per watt and per dollar.

Comment

For all of you complaining about AMD's pricing.... get a grip. AMD is not a charity. They will (and should!) charge as much as they can for each unit, up until competitive pressure prevents them from doing so. That's the way supply and demand works. If supply is too low for the given demand, prices will go up. Higher prices will encourage more production. More production will increase supply and eventually lower prices. Higher prices will continue until they (and Nvidia) can't sell every card (or chip, whatever) they produce. Until then, the sky is the limit.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
                  i really like these 6000 series GPU's from AMD... I am looking forward of getting one sub $250 model, which will have the most performance per watt and per dollar.
                  even if you do only 128bit interface and only 8gb VRAM plus infinity cache this will not have the 250 dollar price tag...

but i am sure a version with DDR5 and infinity cache will have the 250 dollar price even at 16gb vram

Comment

Originally posted by Mark625 View Post
                    For all of you complaining about AMD's pricing.... get a grip. AMD is not a charity. They will (and should!) charge as much as they can for each unit, up until competitive pressure prevents them from doing so. That's the way supply and demand works. If supply is too low for the given demand, prices will go up. Higher prices will encourage more production. More production will increase supply and eventually lower prices. Higher prices will continue until they (and Nvidia) can't sell every card (or chip, whatever) they produce. Until then, the sky is the limit.
                    Cheers!
                    right.. and if you check geizhals.de a 6900XT is at 1500€ and a 3090 is at 2700€...

means AMD is already 1100€ cheaper than nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark625 View Post

Cheers!
                      I guess most people here are familiar with the basics of capitalism. As a rational consumer for whom price/performance is the ultimate metric, it is in my best interest to not being milked and we consumers have to voice our anger to these corporations to make them aware of it. But as long as it is a duopoly setting the prices, there are only limited options if you are not okay with what they do (such as not buying at all or on the used market only). Such a failed market is sooner or later either a matter of new market entrants (as high margins attract new players) or a matter of scrutiny for antitrust agencies around the world (or both). And both the CPU and GPU markets were not healthy during the last decade (Intel's and AMD's failures to compete in several segments for a considerable period of time should be common knowledge over here).

Comment

Working...
                      X