AMD Radeon RX 6800 vs. NVIDIA RTX 30 Linux Performance Heating Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

i read such comparisons in the past and i maybe post you some.

you write "faster than the RTX 20 series"

you just do not get the point. the 6900XT is 15% faster in raytracing than a 3090 as soon as the AMD implementation is used.

games who use the AMD implementation is for example: world of warcraft of Blizzard

see here are many raytracing benchmarks and in the AMD implemenation in world of warcraft AMD is much faster:

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Radeo...-3090-1363216/
    My point is that as long as it's a little faster than the previous generation, that's good enough for me. The bar for me to jump ship is relatively low. 15% faster than the current generation would obviously exceed my standard.

World of Warcraft Shadowlands is a singular example so far and therefore could be a unique case. Especially given how WoW still looks pretty simplistic especially be today's standards.

Thanks for your help, and I'll keep digging.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      Nvidia hits some weird CPU bound performance issue in WoW with RT. Also Watch Dogs Legion DX12 runs ~20% faster in CPU bound scenes on AMD, even without RT.
      well thank you for the info.. but in the end WHO FUCKING CARES WHY NVIDIA IS SLOWER LOL
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Can't help thinking the Nvidia results aren't quite as good as they can be, but it's a very good result for AMD either way. Just have to find a 6800 XT for a reasonable price.

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
        I haven't bought an AMD GPU in ages... Any recommendations on the brand? I don't buy MSI anything as a general rule, but otherwise I'm probably open-minded to most others.
        Usually Sapphire Nitro+ and Powercolor Red Devil are the best AMD models, but XFX Speedster Merc and Asus TUF are both said to be very good for this generation of cards. Be aware they're all >31cm long.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
          World of Warcraft Shadowlands is a singular example so far and therefore could be a unique case. Especially given how WoW still looks pretty simplistic especially be today's standards.
          Thanks for your help, and I'll keep digging.
          it is not an unique case... as soon as you do deeper research what kind of implementation the games use you will find that amd wins all raytracing benchmarks with the amd raytracing implementation.

why should only nvidia get the benefit of an "nvidia implementation" it does not take 5 brain cells to imagine that it runs slower on amd hardware.

i can search you more examples no problem.

(Edit) for example Dirt 5 raytracing is also faster on a 6900XT than a 3090

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...6900-xt-review

and it is also AMD raytracing implementation:

godfall should be faster on the 6900XT to because it is also amd implementation.
          Last edited by qarium; 08 February 2021, 06:14 PM.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
            Can't help thinking the Nvidia results aren't quite as good as they can be, but it's a very good result for AMD either way. Just have to find a 6800 XT for a reasonable price.
            Oh, yeah definitely. I haven't looked at any Linux Vs Windows benchmarks on this site for a while... Makes me think Nvidia+Linux noticeably lagging behind Nvidia+Windows.

Usually Sapphire Nitro+ and Powercolor Red Devil are the best AMD models, but XFX Speedster Merc and Asus TUF are both said to be very good for this generation of cards. Be aware they're all >31cm long.
            Thanks, this is very helpful!

Comment

Definitely looking good. Thanks, Q!

I believe I have enough info to think this over for the next 1-3 days and come to decision... Alas, given the scarcity, could take a couple of months before I'd be able to purchase one.... But the current monitor on the computer I'd put GPU into is G-sync... And the FreeSync+Gsync monitor I've been eyeing isn't due to come out until late this quarter or early next (so far) anyway. Maybe the timing will work out?

Comment

I think AMD world on 4-5 things:

die shring to 5nm TCSM for the GPU core
                HBM3 modells with 32-64GB vram for high paying customers like apple
                increase the 128mb infinity cache to 256MB and maybe go from 12nm to 12nm-LP+ or 7nm-
                GLOBALFOUNDRIES (GF), the world's leading specialty foundry, today announced its most advanced FinFET solution, 12LP+, has completed technology qualification and is ready for production. GF's differentiated 12LP+ solution is optimized for artificial intelligence (AI) training and inference applicati...

Also Global Foundries invest to double the 12nm capacity (FD-SOI)

right now 5nm and 7nm is complete overloaded without any capacity free so the 256bit infinity cache chip will be FD-SOI 12LP+ nm

I think AMD also workd on OoO Out of Order execution shaders.

Multi-GPU-Chiplet design for VR gaming... with 2 gpu cores for each eye one gpu and 2 infinity cache and HBM3 vram.

as you can see Nvidia is doomed...
                That is some awesome information in your post, thanks!

I must admit though that I am unsure if your conclusion (Nvidia is doomed) is humor or an honest appraisal.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Too bad you don't have a 3070 Michael . 3060 Ti vs 3070 vs 2080 Ti is the most interesting combo to watch this generation.
                  only for nvidiots

Comment

Originally posted by programmerjake View Post
                    A Windows vs. Linux benchmark with the newest drivers for AMD would probably be interesting, it would be neat if Linux + RadeonSI outperformed everything else!
                    radeonsi should get some speedups with aco in future

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
                      On the 5th test for F1 2017; how did team GREEN win over team RED with LESS min and max FPS ? I demand a RECOUNT!!!
                      it also had same avg fps. i guess when avg match it gets sorted alphabetically

Comment

Working...
                      X