Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 6800 vs. NVIDIA RTX 30 Linux Performance Heating Up

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by mppix View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't AMD = Vulkan raytracing?
    .. with Nvidia doing its own thing again similar to G-sync vs FreeSync.
    in my knowelege this has nothing to do with API.
    Nvidia does Vulkan Raytracing and AMD does Vulkan Raytracing.
    even with the same API the hardware vendor can implement it different...
    and also even with the same API the game engines can untilize the API different.
    point is: you can write the game engine in a way that it works best with Nvidia hardware but you can also build it in a way that it works best with AMD hardware.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Drago View Post

      Yeah, this s*it is CPU bottle necked as hell. One of fastest game on my integrated Ryzen 4650G Vega APU.
      There is a regression since the test in November: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...formance&num=2
      Back then, the RX 6800 XT went up to 135 fps in that test and the RTX 3080 had 147 fps! The cards below had about the same results, so it's only the top results that somehow got bottle necked by the CPU, on the same hardware.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

        in my knowelege this has nothing to do with API.
        Nvidia does Vulkan Raytracing and AMD does Vulkan Raytracing.
        even with the same API the hardware vendor can implement it different...
        and also even with the same API the game engines can untilize the API different.
        point is: you can write the game engine in a way that it works best with Nvidia hardware but you can also build it in a way that it works best with AMD hardware.
        Are you sure? Nvidia did raytracing before Vulkan had the raytracing extensions .. so I doubt that early Nvidia games used Vulkan..

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
          Yes intel and Nvidia now has deals with TSMC for 3/5/7nm to but it is to late AMD has chiplet design means they are doomed anyway.
          Really hope Intel can make it though. Intel is the most open source friendly one among these 3 major hardware manufacturers, Nvidia is the one who really needs to die.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by mppix View Post
            Are you sure? Nvidia did raytracing before Vulkan had the raytracing extensions .. so I doubt that early Nvidia games used Vulkan..
            early nvidia games who use RTX instead of microsoft DXR for sure do not run on AMD hardware. not in my knowelege.
            all the games who run on AMD hardware are DXR games or Vulkan games.

            whats your point? don't you think a game engine utilize DXR or Vulkan in a different way ?
            if all game engines would do it in the same way then why there are differences in the performance?...
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

              early nvidia games who use RTX instead of microsoft DXR for sure do not run on AMD hardware. not in my knowelege.
              all the games who run on AMD hardware are DXR games or Vulkan games.

              whats your point? don't you think a game engine utilize DXR or Vulkan in a different way ?
              if all game engines would do it in the same way then why there are differences in the performance?...
              Sure. No point - just trying to understand why we see such massive swings from AMD much worse to much better to Nvidia.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                Michael

                I think you meant to say ACO back-end here.
                As in https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco/

                Some serious crowd here.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                  As in https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco/

                  Some serious crowd here.
                  Hey I'm famous! :-D Kinda makes sense that someone who is that interested in drivers would hang out here, doesn't it? :-D

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by mppix View Post
                    Sure. No point - just trying to understand why we see such massive swings from AMD much worse to much better to Nvidia.
                    it was the time of the first Nvidia RTX release i read some articles about computer science history it was about how to make the hardware faster for the same algorithm compared to the speed up in finding new algorithms who are smarter and run faster on the old hardware. means software improvement instead of hardware improvement.
                    in this article where many examples and the hardware improvement for the same algorithms was like 5-10 times faster over 30 years....
                    in the same time new algorithms for the same technical problem speeded up by factor of 80 and more.
                    this was about raytracing in mind the point is Nvidia did build hardware implementation for raytracing menas the same algorithm but better hardware for it. and AMD does not have full hardware logic for the complete old algorithm instead it is only hardware assisted means software with some hardware assistance.

                    now you maybe think the amd solution is slower yes if you use the old same algorithms like nvidia do.
                    but imagine the point: what if AMD found new algorithms who nvidia did not have hardware for.

                    remember what i said first in the same time 30 years of computer history hardware speed up was 5-10 times but compared to this smarter algorithms speed up *80 or more.

                    this means there is a posibility that amd can outsmart Nvidia by the use of new algorithms in the game engines
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      radeonsi should get some speedups with aco in future
                      Not just with that. Marek's last two biggie optimization patchsets are not even merged yet. ACO would just be the icing on the cake.
                      https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/..._requests/8798
                      https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/..._requests/8850

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X