Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreSOC Still Striving To Produce An Open-Source Hybrid CPU/GPU Built On OpenPOWER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreSOC Still Striving To Produce An Open-Source Hybrid CPU/GPU Built On OpenPOWER

Phoronix: LibreSOC Still Striving To Produce An Open-Source Hybrid CPU/GPU Built On OpenPOWER

LibreSOC remains the very ambitious project of creating a fully open-source hybrid CPU/GPU SoC but with a very uphill battle still in front of them...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh boy, RISC-V requires NDAs? ouch.

Guess POWER CPUs are looking better than ever. I might pick up a raptor system when P10 drops. So many cool features + I might take a look at the firmware just to see the boot sequence of a modern CPU.
    Last edited by kvuj; 06 February 2021, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Hybrid CPU/GPU? Considering open hardware only achieved 720p25 a few years ago, this will be a challenge...

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post

Guess POWER CPUs are looking better than ever. I might pick up a raptor system when P10 drops. So many cool features + I might take a look at the firmware just to see the boot sequence of a modern CPU.
        Alas, POWER10 may not be happening at least as far as Raptor's hardware goes:

Hopefully these issues will be resolved or P11 won't have any problems and won't take too long.

I *REALLY* hope the P10 stuff is resolved. I have 2 P9 boxes and I absolutely love them.

Comment

I like what these people are doing, but I don't see a way for an individual to donate $. But maybe it's because I just woke up?

In any case, I'd definitely like to purchase an open source PowerPC based system from them in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
            I like what these people are doing, but I don't see a way for an individual to donate $. But maybe it's because I just woke up?

In any case, I'd definitely like to purchase an open source PowerPC based system from them in the future.
            I am waiting for the Powerpc laptop:
            Production of three working prototypes of the GNU/Linux PowerPC Notebook. Update 23 October 2021 the collected funds that exceed the phase goal will be used for achieving the next donation campaign for Hardware Test that will start soon. On the 11th of December 2020 we have reached the end of the previous campaign (Phase 1 […]

Comment

Why are we still talking about this? That RISC-V people told this project they wanted nothing to do with it has nothing to do with NDAs, everything to do with the project being one step better than a scam.

You don't "base a GPU architecture on Power or RISC-V". You need to design a GPU instruction set.

All this project is doing is running Mesa LLVM Pipe on a chip and trying to add some custom instructions to improve the dire performance. It isn't going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post
                The ISA is open and royalty free, but one has to be a member to participate in certain functions (including the process of extensions), which requires an NDA. And an organization such as LibreSOC that is looking to extend the architecture potentially by adding accelerators or new instructions therefore typically needs to be a member, and therefore under certain NDA restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
                  The ISA is open and royalty free, but one has to be a member to participate in certain functions (including the process of extensions), which requires an NDA.
                  This is true, but not relevant here. LibeSOC had no extensions to add (although maybe at some point they would have). The NDA isn't required to design extensions, only to go through the RISC-V standardisation process when dealing with other companies. As no sane company would entertain running a software 3D renderer on a CPU, the NDA to work with others is beside the point.

I can almost guarantee you that what actually happened is that someone at RISC pointed out this project was a bad idea, so LibreSOC had a temper tantrum and has been spreading FUD about all of RISC-V ever since...
                  Last edited by OneTimeShot; 06 February 2021, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                    I have 2 P9 boxes and I absolutely love them.
                    Do you think glibc 2.33 will have a significant impact on performance considering the new POWER9 hwcaps?

It's interesting seeing such a niche CPU with such an active developer community. Perks of using server grade CPUs I guess

Comment

Working...
                    X