• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
    For those wondering about Smart Access Memory (SAM) support in linux:
    Code:
    $ sudo dmesg | grep -i detected\ vram
    [ 2.612742] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=16368M, [B]BAR=16384M[/B]
    This is with vega and zen2
    I haven't noticed any performance improvements though in my usual game test. But maybe other games will show some benefit, that needs to be tested further.

By the way, with your Suse Mesa repo, there is a conflict with the vulkan-device-select package. Breaking the dependancy solves it though.

Comment

Thank you, Michael. Would love to see those benchmarks at 1440p.

Comment

Michael , would like to say that this was an outstanding article. I'm always impressed with the quality of investigation and presentation of subject matter. I look forward to an update with new data for the fix with the RX 6800 CU fix. Thanks for the great work!
        Last edited by NoRefill; 18 November 2020, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Wake me up when I can use XFCE and dozens other DEs/WMs under Wayland, OK?
          Not happening because it does not make sense. You can not make a X11 windows manager operate a Wayland environment exactly how they did before.

We are starting to see new way to shell modify like this one totally modify gnome shell. Paths like this could end up with a lot of the code that duplicated between different DE/WM solutions under X11 going away.

https://github.com/Plagman/gamescope even running XFCE so gamescope works I need XWayland support. Some applications with a 144hz screen seeing a fake 30hz and 25hz screen instead makes them work right fun of retro gaming problems. Worse they are game you can have paid money on steam that don't work right with a Linux or Windows Nvidia gpu setup yet they work perfect on my Linux/AMD because I can apply the right hacks..

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I haven't noticed any performance improvements though in my usual game test. But maybe other games will show some benefit, that needs to be tested further.

By the way, with your Suse Mesa repo, there is a conflict with the vulkan-device-select package. Breaking the dependancy solves it though.
            Didn't even know I had such package in the repo, lol. Or perhaps it's some package from Tumbleweed? I don't use Tumbleweed myself, so I'm not aware if something goes wrong there.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
              Again off topic and "quote needed," especially for the latter part. Most folks that I know use Wayland and would not go back. They may however, log into X for steam...

PS. XFCE and similar may not have the horsepower to rewrite their infrastructure and move to Wayland. They may be better off to just fork Gnome 3 (than upgrade their Gnome 2 fork)
              This stuff is waaaay off topic lol. But, they probably use it because Wayland is often default now. If X11 was default they would probably use it unless they switched and liked it. You can only use one at a time, default rules.

But, the new AMD drivers should be fine here so Wayland should barely be anything mentioned for this post. There will be no magical speed up worth much to look at.
              Last edited by ix900; 18 November 2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post

The Sapphire version has 3 DisplayPorts, so it'll be the one I get.
                From what I heard Sapphire is also the one with very good build quality, so I ever decide to take one, I would go with Sapphire too.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                  My very quick opinion. WHAT A MESS!

Lets say I am a regular user running a tried and tested distribution, e.g. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
                  If your a regular user your not getting up in the middle of the night to buy a $700 video card. When the cards intended for you finally ship next year things will be much better sorted out.

For those complaining about what a rip off AMD pricing is, keep in mind that NVidia already started modifying their intended line up to compete with AMD prices.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    NVIDIA is not actively supporting open-source support
                    Not supporting support?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    as the current Noveau driver
                    Last edited by tildearrow; 18 November 2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Interesting to hear that as Igorslab mentioned some problems on Windows with his workstation performance testing. In CAD and other professional software he found the performance to be on the same level of a 5700XT but mentioned he will do further testing once more mature drivers become available.
                      Once more a proof how good the mesa stack is.

Comment

Working...
                      X