Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    My very quick opinion. WHAT A MESS!

Lets say I am a regular user running a tried and tested distribution, e.g. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
    I don't install stuff from 3rd parties, I don't do console, and of course I have nothing to do with compilers, sources, gits, repositories and all things geeks love to jerk off with.
    So I am a regular user and go out and buy the new shinny card from AMD.

How do I install it on my OS?
    Which driver do I use?
    What do you mean PRO and OPEN? I have to choose? You mean I have to actually go to google and RESEARCH which one will do for my case? Duh! A MESS.
    I won't evet comment on the MESA beta options from random people's repositories on the internets...

Granted, the AMD efforts with open source are significant in general. However, they needs to fire whoever is in charge of architecting the end user experience. Most probably they don't have a strateffy at all for this "geek" OS.
    As we've said before, unless you are a workstation user that needs certified drivers for specific workstation applications, use the open packages.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Or, here comes blasphemy, you could buy a horrible NVIDIA GPU which supports all the kernels and pretty much all the distros for the past five years. Kernel 5.9 is not fully supported at the moment (some kernel modules don't build but they are not criticial for most users out there) because some kernel developer(s) had an aggressive itch and hid some kernel APIs behind GPL.

Again, bad NVIDIA supports Linux better than Linux supports itself. Such is life.
      How is it even possible that you consistently misrepresent things?

Kernel APIs are always GPL; some symbols are (legally) GPL only some are general purpose. Nvidia used GPL only symbols, which is technically license infringement, i.e. piracy!
      As a consequence, the Nvidia driver does NOT work as intended for kernels newer than 5.8 and -obviously- distros cannot ship Nvidia proprietary drivers that support these kernels.
      Now we have to wait and see IF Nvidia can find a workaround for future kernels. However, their success with delivering actual Linux development work is modest at best (Nvidia on Wayland etc).
      Last edited by mppix; 18 November 2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

How is it even possible that you consistently misrepresent things?

Kernel APIs are always GPL; some symbols are (legally) GPL only some are general purpose. Nvidia used GPL only symbols, which is technically license infringement, i.e. piracy!
        As a consequence, the Nvidia does NOT work as intended for kernels newer than 5.8 and -obviously- distros cannot ship Nvidia proprietary drivers that support these kernels.
        Now we have to wait and see IF Nvidia can find a workaround for future kernels. However, their success with delivering actual Linux development work is modest at best (Nvidia on Wayland etc).
        Licensing aside, has NVIDIA killed your children? Taken all your money and job? Would you be glad if they didn't support Linux at all? I guess NVIDIA supporting Linux via proprietary drivers is still better than no support at all, but what do I know.

Ah, Wayland,

Think twice about Wayland. It breaks everything! GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.

People are still obsessed with something so poorly designed even Linux application developers refuse to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Only one HDMI port, they could've put 2 HDMI and 2-3 DisplayPort.
          The Sapphire version has 3 DisplayPorts, so it'll be the one I get.

Comment

People are still obsessed with something so poorly designed even Linux application developers refuse to support it.
            They're refusing to support nvidia proprietary crap. The one that you quoted is only little smarter than you, so he's second to one when comes to stupidity. Wayland is the future, so better ditch your Trinity desktop and move to something else. Mental illness confirmed for another time:

Licensing aside, has Wayland killed your children? Taken all your money and job? Would you be glad if they didn't support nvidia at all? I guess Wayland supporting nvidia via some hacks is still better than no support at all, but what do birdie knows?

You have no clue. It's not surprising.

Nvidia, on the other hand, have been fucking assholes and have treated Linux like utter shit for our entire relationship. About a year ago they announced “Wayland support” for their proprietary driver. This included KMS and DRM support (years late, I might add), but not GBM support. They shipped something called EGLStreams instead, a concept that had been discussed and shot down by the Linux graphics development community before. They did this because it makes it easier for them to keep their driver proprietary without having work with Linux developers on it. Without GBM, Nvidia does not support Wayland, and they were real pricks for making some announcement like they actually did.

When people complain to me about the lack of Nvidia support in Sway, I get really pissed off. It is not my fucking problem to support Nvidia, it’s Nvidia’s fucking problem to support me. Even Broadcom, fucking Broadcom, supports the appropriate kernel APIs. And proprietary driver users have the gall to reward Nvidia for their behavior by giving them hundreds of dollars for their GPUs, then come to me and ask me to deal with their bullshit for free. Well, fuck you, too. Nvidia users are shitty consumers and I don’t even want them in my userbase. Choose hardware that supports your software, not the other way around.

Buy AMD. Nvidia– fuck you!
            Last edited by Volta; 18 November 2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Ah, Wayland,

https://gist.github.com/probonopd/9f...5e3a9f2d1f2277

I wouldn't define that person as an "application developer". He just wants applications to fit into his very narrow view of userspace architecture. So called "breakages" listed by him are either wanted by design and fixed by ecosystem improvements (immaturely called "Red Hat dependencies"), or pertain applications and desktops that historically lag behind.
              He's delusional. He says "don't let Wayland destroy everything", I say don't break my privacy and let the compositor I trust manage things through new standards such as PipeWire.

Your arguments against the status quo of open source GPU drivers are legitimate; so are your statements about NVIDIA. I kindly suggest to not let them be stained by off-topic discussions.
              Regards.

Comment

Licensing aside, has NVIDIA killed your children? Taken all your money and job? Would you be glad if they didn't support Linux at all? I guess NVIDIA supporting Linux via proprietary drivers is still better than no support at all, but what do I know.
                Off topic but since you asked: nope, I run Titan GPUs, which is why I follow this topic closely. They simply take more time and effort to keep running as intended than they should. This is before you are being cut off form driver support and are stuck with older kernel or needing to upgrade.
                There is a reason why exascale supercompte goes Intel/AMD even if Nvidia has more mature HW.

Ah, Wayland,
                https://gist.github.com/probonopd/9f...5e3a9f2d1f2277
                Off topic (and most are intended or fixed)
                Last edited by mppix; 18 November 2020, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                  Off topic (and most are intended or fixed)
                  Wake me up when I can use XFCE and dozens other DEs/WMs under Wayland, OK? I don't care about behemoths like Gnome and KDE and other WMs for Wayland are a suckfest. Again, it's irrelevant and offtopic - I'd be just glad if we stopped talking about Wayland as an AMD advantage on Linux. 1% Linux users, out of them 1% use Wayland. I mean how low are you willing to go with this narrative? What about even more peculiar things which run better with open source AMD drivers?
                  Last edited by birdie; 18 November 2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I was in line to get a 6800XT, I was gonna run it with the proprietary drivers, but I got nowhere. The whole thing was finished in an instance.

I guess I'll have to wait until supply becomes more available.

Comment

1% Linux users, out of them 1% use Wayland.
                      Again off topic and "quote needed," especially for the latter part. Most folks that I know use Wayland and would not go back. They may however, log into X for steam...

PS. XFCE and similar may not have the horsepower to rewrite their infrastructure and move to Wayland. They may be better off to just fork Gnome 3 (than upgrade their Gnome 2 fork)

Comment

Working...
                      X