AMD Radeon RX 6800 Series Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

OpenCL benchmarks will be up in ~2 hours in their own article... Lots of tests The CL performance is fantastic.
    Interesting to hear that as Igorslab mentioned some problems on Windows with his workstation performance testing. In CAD and other professional software he found the performance to be on the same level of a 5700XT but mentioned he will do further testing once more mature drivers become available.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Looks perfectly fine to me: thanks to GDDR6 (not power hungry X) the new AMD cards idle power consumption is just wonderful as they've finally solved multi-monitor idle power consumption which has been their bane for the past 20 years:

Ahh cheers, that looks alright. Linus tech tips tested something around 40Watts.. maybe they had some driver problems.

Comment

Can't wait for a 6900XT review as I'm aiming for one
        AMD did really big improvement over 5700XT. Damn impressive in one generation. Compared to NV they are like 30% average when AMD did 60% jump.

Comment

For those wondering about Smart Access Memory (SAM) support in linux:
          Code:
          $ sudo dmesg | grep -i detected\ vram
          [    2.612742] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=16368M, [B]BAR=16384M[/B]
          This is with vega and zen2

Comment

The performance is much better than I expected both on Linux and Windows. Vega and navi 5000 was not what I had hoped for, I based my expectations on that. Epic day for open source! It's interisting to see that AMD is getting better power/performance ratios in Unigine, it's pretty much the last thing I expected.

If all is what it seems this could be the next 7970. What do you think?

PS: It seems there are some problems with Control. JayzTwoCents covered it: https://youtu.be/NXRvqjXf4Sc it's funny how it's already nitpicked here by our local troll in any case please ignore the biased data and take a look at the average. Here's the like to the benchmark where it was taken from: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...800-xt/30.html

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Other proprietary features of your PC you choose to turn a blind eye to: UEFI firmware, SSD firmware, NIC firmware, audio codec firmware and ... your AMD GPU firmware. By choosing NVIDIA you just have one more binary blob than when running AMD. Doesn't look too much different to me.
              So, given that the situation is bad, it is ok to make it worse as long as you don't see "much difference".
              How nice.

Comment

Is the delta in terms of features and compilers between the official PRO driver and the official open driver known?
                What explains the difference in performance between the two?
                What is Mesa missing from either of the two official drivers?

Anyway, thanks AMD for delivering such powerful GPUs with open source support. Nice to see the improvements in perf/watt and idle consumption.

Comment

My very quick opinion. WHAT A MESS!

Lets say I am a regular user running a tried and tested distribution, e.g. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
                  I don't install stuff from 3rd parties, I don't do console, and of course I have nothing to do with compilers, sources, gits, repositories and all things geeks love to jerk off with.
                  So I am a regular user and go out and buy the new shinny card from AMD.

How do I install it on my OS?
                  Which driver do I use?
                  What do you mean PRO and OPEN? I have to choose? You mean I have to actually go to google and RESEARCH which one will do for my case? Duh! A MESS.
                  I won't evet comment on the MESA beta options from random people's repositories on the internets...

Granted, the AMD efforts with open source are significant in general. However, they needs to fire whoever is in charge of architecting the end user experience. Most probably they don't have a strateffy at all for this "geek" OS.

---

To add to that, looking at performance graphs with 4 different drivers is ridiculous. Oh OPEN driver is better with game A, B, and E but PRO is better with game C and app D and driver X.. never mind. Thankfully all perform worse than the ONE Nvidia competing target so I can make sense of how the card performs.
                  Last edited by zoomblab; 18 November 2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                    Lets say I am a regular user running a tried and tested distribution, e.g. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
                    That's a legitimate concern. However, if you're on an LTS release, maybe stability is of greater concern, and you won't be rushing to install new hardware on the day it's released, but instead will wait until the hardware is officially supported?

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

I don't install stuff from 3rd parties, I don't do console, and of course I have nothing to do with compilers, sources, gits, repositories and all things geeks love to jerk off with.
                      So I am a regular user and go out and buy the new shinny card from AMD.

Which driver do I use?
                      What do you mean PRO and OPEN? I have to choose? You mean I have to actually go to google and RESEARCH which one will do for my case? Duh! A MESS.
                      I won't evet comment on the MESA beta options from random people's repositories on the internets...

Granted, the AMD efforts with open source are significant in general. However, they needs to fire whoever is in charge of architecting the end user experience. Most probably they don't have a strateffy at all for this "geek" OS.

---

To add to that, looking at performance graphs with 4 different drivers is ridiculous. Oh OPEN driver is better with game A, B, and E but PRO is better with game C and app D and driver X.. never mind. Thankfully all perform worse than the ONE Nvidia competing target so I can make sense of how the card performs.
                      Or, here comes blasphemy, you could buy a horrible NVIDIA GPU which supports all the kernels and pretty much all the distros for the past five years. Kernel 5.9 is not fully supported at the moment (some kernel modules don't build but they are not criticial for most users out there) because some kernel developer(s) had an aggressive itch and hid some kernel APIs behind GPL.

Again, bad NVIDIA supports Linux better than Linux supports itself. Such is life.

Comment

Working...
                      X