The Most Innovative ~$50 Graphics Card For Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
    I'm pretty sure I still have my Tseng Labs ET4000 somewhere...
    I've got a CARDEX Challenger VLB with a Tseng Labs ET4000/w32p chip. All of the Tseng Labs based cards I've had experience with were excellent. There might have been faster Windows accelerators, but none had as good DOS support.

Comment

The card would be more versatile if they could manage to keep it half-height even at the expansion slot. Maybe by using a pair of DMS-59 ports with breakout HDMI cables? (Not sure if DMS-59 is fully compatible with HDMI / HDCP...?)

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

yes Matrox I have once owend one in the mid 90ies......but isn't Matrox also part of the Nvidia empire today?
        You are thinking of 3Dfx Interactive, the once prominent GPU vendor that was around at the beginning of 3D acceleration. Nvidia bought them up after they got their head bashed in from an ongoing lawsuit between the two companies and had spent money on buying GPU seller STB Systems, which was supposed to give 3Dfx access to the large market of OEMs and manufacturing, which never ended up happening. ATI was really the one who went around buying up other GPU makers and they acquired several smaller rivals in the PC business. Their IP portfolio made them an attractive target for AMD, though AMD ended up selling off a lot of their video IP years after the acquisition.

Comment

Not only is the Nouveau support for Kepler 100% pure, but this is at the moment the latest generation of NVIDIA GPUs supporting re-clocking so that the graphics processor can move above its often very limited boot clock frequencies. Due to the signed firmware requirements of newer generations and the inability to have proper power management (PMU) controls by Nouveau, the newer GPUs are crippled in being stuck at their boot clocks.
          That sounds good.

But with Kepler there is the ability to push the hardware to its highest performance state albeit is done manually without any automatic re-clocking at this stage.
          What the?

That is like the feature does not exist at all, since normal, plain, common folks will not know how to use it, will not use it, will not ever bother use it.

Ok, lets be positive. IS THERE AT LEAST A GUI MANAGEMENT TOOL FOR THIS DRIVER THAT HELPS ORDINARY PEOPLE SEE WHAT IS GOING ON, WHAT IS NOT GOING ON AND ALLOWS THEM MAKE ACTIONS LIKE PEOPLE DO SINCE 1973?

GTFU

So with the GT710-4H-SL-2GD5 you can actually have a decent open-source solution free of any firmware blobs. But the other Nouveau limitations apply like currently no Vulkan driver and video acceleration not being as robust as the proprietary driver stack. But if you don't mind binary blobs, Kepler is still supported by NVIDIA's official closed-source Linux graphics driver.
          Thanks but no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I would rather just use the integrated graphics on a Intel CPU. The drivers are open source and very stable and good quality.
            Why not on an AMD cpu?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Why not on an AMD cpu?
              As far as I know, AMD does not have any good CPUs with integrated graphics. I might be wrong though.
              But all or most Intel CPUs have integrated graphics, like if you go for an Intel model with the K-suffix which is very popular and seem to be what most people do, it has an integrated GPU.

Comment

As far as I know, AMD does not have any good CPUs with integrated graphics. I might be wrong though.
                But all or most Intel CPUs have integrated graphics, like if you go for an Intel model with the K-suffix which is very popular and seem to be what most people do, it has an integrated GPU.
                AMD has great APUs (that's what they call CPUs with integrated graphics over there) like the Ryzen 7 4700G or Ryzen 5 3600XT for example. They're actually gaming capable too.

Comment

Their latest high-end ones - such as they are - are solid for gaming at 1080P for older titles, though their design and tech is simply outdated at this point. Their upcoming ones incorporate all of AMD's latest CPU and GPU tech and should be far better, when paired with the high-capacity fast RAM used on gaming builds and the latest SSDs that can tie directly into the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

AMD has great APUs (that's what they call CPUs with integrated graphics over there) like the Ryzen 7 4700G or Ryzen 5 3600XT for example. They're actually gaming capable too.
                    But Intel have an integrated GPU on pretty much all their CPUs almost. They are on all the major CPUs that sell big, the popular ones that all the people buy.
                    On AMD they are only available on a select few CPUs and I think they use an old generation of their GPU too.

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post

Their latest high-end ones - such as they are - are solid for gaming at 1080P for older titles, though their design and tech is simply outdated at this point. Their upcoming ones incorporate all of AMD's latest CPU and GPU tech and should be far better, when paired with the high-capacity fast RAM used on gaming builds and the latest SSDs that can tie directly into the CPU.
                    It is much easier to buy an Intel CPU with a GPU because you can buy pretty much any Intel CPU and it will have an integrated GPU. Especially if you buy their main one that sells the most. You also know that Intel's GPU drivers are rock solid on Linux and well supported. Support available even before the hardware released, not unlike AMD where you buy the hardware and can't use it, or must wait until distributions make a new release. With Intel you're going to have support for OpenGL, OpenGL ES, OpenCL and Vulkan, all open source.

I think AMD don't even use their latest GPU tech on their CPUs, its like a prior generation, and its only available on select models that carry the G-prefix, not on the normal mainstream CPUs.

Comment

But Intel have an integrated GPU on pretty much all their CPUs almost. They are on all the major CPUs that sell big, the popular ones that all the people buy.
                      On AMD they are only available on a select few CPUs and I think they use an old generation of their GPU too.

It is much easier to buy an Intel CPU with a GPU because you can buy pretty much any Intel CPU and it will have an integrated GPU. Especially if you buy their main one that sells the most. You also know that Intel's GPU drivers are rock solid on Linux and well supported. Support available even before the hardware released, not unlike AMD where you buy the hardware and can't use it, or must wait until distributions make a new release. With Intel you're going to have support for OpenGL, OpenGL ES, OpenCL and Vulkan, all open source.

I think AMD don't even use their latest GPU tech on their CPUs, its like a prior generation, and its only available on select models that carry the G-prefix, not on the normal mainstream CPUs.
                      uhm, only as long you stick to consumer CPU's. Xeon's.. well, gl.

Comment

Working...
                      X