Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Innovative ~$50 Graphics Card For Linux Users

Phoronix: The Most Innovative ~$50 Graphics Card For Linux Users

This ~$50 USD graphics card is open-source friendly, can drive four display outputs simultaneously, passively cooled, and can fit in a PCI Express x1 slot. It's a unique card offering good value especially for those Linux users wanting open-source friendly hardware.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember going to the computer part store, seeing lots of 610's and 710's everywhere...

Comment

Somebody, please make something like this, but from a RDNA 2 core!
      I want a silent low power HTPC that can power the new 4K@120 Hz TVs and do hardware decoding for HEVC / AV1 10/12bit.
      I'm tired of this gaming shit only GPUs everywhere!
      Some of the people just don't game, but would enjoy very well watching Youtube videos and movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Somebody, please make something like this, but from a RDNA 2 core!
        I want a silent low power HTPC that can power the new 4K@120 Hz TVs and do hardware decoding for HEVC / AV1 10/12bit.
        I'm tired of this gaming shit only GPUs everywhere!
        Some of the people just don't game, but would enjoy very well watching Youtube videos and movies.
        Why not an APU?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Why not an APU?
          APUs depend on motherboard outputs, those tend to be only one (HDMI) port. This is my case in my X570 motherboard, infortunately.

I suffer it. I have two TVs plus two monitors. I want to use TVs as HTPC-like setup and extra monitor as extra seat, everything in a multiuser way.

I tried to use Miracast on TVs, no way to make it working. It sucks.

This card seems interesting in concept, but I would prefer something similar using a new AMD GPU. Video decoding for 4K and some gaming would be very nice to enjoy in family and friends

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Why not an APU?
            Because I want to be able to use the computer also as a computer so it should have two outputs, one for the TV and one for the monitor.
            Plus, 4K@ 120 Hz requires HDMI 2.1, which the motherboards that advertise support they lie about supporting it as it's not the full bandwidth.
            Other thing it's that I want to use the best high quality image achieved by using filters and algorithms that only MPC-HC + MadVr can do.
            I've seen even RX 570 put to its knees when choosing high quality algorithms.
            I bet an APU would be even worse with MadVr.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I still have my Tseng Labs ET4000 somewhere...

Comment

It is possibly best to still invest in an AMD GPU or Intel (when they release a discrete option). I personally do not want to encourage or support nvidia. So even though this GPU happens to work because of the countless man-hours put in from the free software community, nvidia doesn't really deserve the money.

Any penny someone gives these guys will be spent on locking down the next generation of GPUs down further.

Its like MacBooks happen to work OK with Linux and BSD but I would never want to support Apple.

Comment

I would rather just use the integrated graphics on a Intel CPU. The drivers are open source and very stable and good quality.

Comment

The show stopper to use such a GPU is that it lacks the ability to drive 4k @ 60Hz.

Comment

Working...
                    X