No announcement yet.

AMD Shows First Glimpse Of Radeon RX 6000 Series Graphics Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once against AMD just doesn't really understand marketing. Two 8 pins isn't bad as most high end cards have them, but they shouldn't be highlighting that given their power hungry reputation vs current Nvidia cards. I'm glad AMD has better open source linux drivers but that only goes so far. If anything they ought to be teasing some performance numbers, not to mention some ray tracing details considering the consoles that are using custom Rdna variations.
    It's completely ridiculous that Microsoft and Sony can't tought their true graphics prowess because AMD is being tight lipped on their RDNA2 architecture details. They definitely shouldn't let Nvidias narrative stick with unsubstantiated performance claims and misleading slide deck.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Two 8-pin PCI Express power connectors ?
      WTF, how much is this GPU consuming ?
      I would rather pay upfront more for a GPU with faster and more efficient HBM2 memory than slowly paying more in electricity price for a slower memory type and performance.
      Sad to see more and more evidence that RDNA 2 will be a disappointing release.
      Word is performance vs power is up ~50% for RDNA2. It is the one stat that every one seems pretty sure about. Also keep in mind that NVidia had to hallucinate up a 12 pin connector for their reference cards. NVidia is going hard at the after market gaming segment where as AMD seems more focused on the game console / laptop market. As laptops out sell desktops by some thing like 10:1 I expect AMD is making the better business decision.

While many are gushing over the looks of the new Ampere cards NVidia has been showing off, I personally think they are fugly and I am glad AMD hasn't gone down that road.

Comment

I couldn't care less what a card looks like, as they all go in a case without a window. I do prefer them not to be RGB'd up, however, that is probably a vain hope. I do care about the slot usage - two slot is fine, 2.5 slot is... troublesome... more than that is very annoying in some cases and/or if running two cards.

The rumours seem to indicate roughly 3080 performance, in which case nVidia definitely fired a devastating opener by pricing the 3080 at $749. Unless "big" Navi is 10-20% faster, charging more than ~$650-700 will be a hard sell. That said, we will have to see what price the 3080 actually ends up being, although pre-order prices seem to have been about the MRSP.

I'm looking forward to seeing these cards; more for Windows gaming than Linux (sadly I remain dependent on CUDA, so my requirement of nVidia isn't going away any time soon...) but I remain hopeful that AMD might actually support ROCm for long enough for it to actually be a realistic competitor to CUDA. But they really need to start officially supporting their APUs with it. Of course, for it to compete with Ampere, the AMD cards also need to be ray tracing monsters - which given that the new consoles seem to be pushing that angle is a reasonable bet.

Comment

I would rather pay upfront more for a GPU with faster and more efficient HBM2 memory than slowly paying more in electricity price for a slower memory type and performance.
          Did you forget that Nvidia invented a whole new power connector because dual 8 pin wasn't enough for them

Comment

I'm late to quoting you but this is hilarious. The fact that the first thing you point out is dual 8-pin connectors means you're completely out of touch with what matters to people who buy and play games. Power consumption only matters to a small percentage of gamers where heat output is important (a LAN cafe comes to mind), or you run off of solar power. During regular desktop usage, GPU power gating keeps power consumption in check while not under 100% utilization, so heat output may only be an issue during serious or long gaming sessions.

This slightly reminds me of trolls on Twitter that attack game companies for revealing content offensive to particular individuals. They get their friends to announce they've decided NOT to buy the game due to such offensive content. However, it's quickly discovered that these trolls don't play games and maybe the last game they recall playing is Bejeweled back in 2012 on their phone. In other words, they're virtue signaling and never were in the market, but use "sound and fury" to make it look like everyone's offended. In reality, it's just these "gamers" that don't play games.

Check the controversy section of this game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_Fury

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
              "Navy Floundy". sounds fishy.
              As long as we keep taking code names from the Wikipedia list of fish names (and the list of X11 colours) there's going to be a bit of fishiness.

Test signature

Comment

Is it render fo today's presentation?
                Deutsche Bank Technology Conference

Sep 15, 2020 • 11:10 am EDT

Forrest Norrod, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Data Center and Embedded Business Solutions Group will be participating in this event.
                https://ir.amd.com/news-events/ir-calendar/detail/6597/deutsche-bank-technology-conference

Comment

Rumor is they were originally targeting 250W, then 280W, then after the 3080 was announced they turned it up to 300W to compete.

And you can expect even their 3rd tier 6700 to be way faster than a Radeon VII, at significantly less power.

Comment

If it could compete with RTX 3000 then they would say so before September 17th. Otherwise you can only assume this yet another mid-tier flop.

Comment

It's the most high end card they are showing. Their mid to mid-high range won't need two 8-pin power connectors.

Comment

Working...
                      X