Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22" monitor with intel graphic

hi folks,

im going to buy a 22 inch monitor, and i want to use it mainly with my Dell Inspiron 1525 (with the Intel GM965) and with the EeePC 1000H (Intel GMA 950).
    The monitor has a native resolution of 1680x1080, and i want to use it as clone or extended display.

Is this possible with my onboard graphic? I fearing the fact that my laptop display has a max resolution of 1280x800 and i am running into problems, when not using the same resolution on laptop display and monitor at the same time.

thanks,
    topcraft

What's your output of xrandr? If you see multiple outputs, you should be able to configure your displays using xrandr or gnome-display-properties. Including resolutions.

Comment

I'd love to give you the output, but i don't own the monitor yet; i wanted to know if everything will run smoothly if i buy it, cuz i've heard different opinions about that.

Comment

Well, the output is still relevant , even with the monitor disconnected.

Comment

Oh, i didn't figure that .

Here you go:
          Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 800, maximum 2560 x 2560
          VGA disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
          LVDS connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 331mm x 207mm
          1280x800 59.9*+
          1024x768 60.0
          800x600 60.3
          640x480 59.9
          TMDS-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
          TV disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
          If you wonder about the 2560x2560, i think that's because i once edited my xorg.conf (Section Screen, Subsection Display, "Virtual") with that values.

Comment

That should be OK. Both monitors will be able to run on their native resolution, but the monitor with the lowest resolution will not display the whole screen.

As soon as you move your mouse the screen centers to it.. OK, I admit, my English is to limited to explain. Behold:

Comment

Oh, and you might want to alter the values to 2048x2048 in your xorg.conf. Any bigger than that causes the lose of DRI.

Edit: Forget what I said! It seems that it's only possible with the fglrx-driver (prop. ATI). With the open-source driver it's static (it doesn't follow my mouse).
              Last edited by MartjeB; 16 February 2009, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Ah okay i think i got what you wanted to explain to me :-).

What about the intel drivers? Same behaviour? And shall i still alter the values to 2048x2048 (did your "Forget what i said!" apply to that part of your message, too, or not? )

Comment

I think the Intel drivers show the same behavior, yes. But you could always try it with an old VGA monitor .

And no, 'forget what I said' didn't apply to the 'alter-values' part.

Comment

Okay, changed the values.

So i will be able to use both displays in the clone mode. Extended mode, too?!

I'll give my old 17" VGA monitor a try and see what i can accomplish with it .

Edit: Messing around with it was quite interesting (i used grandr). The best result was when both monitors ran with 1024x768. Though i was not able to enable extended mode or put my displays horizontically next to each other - i think both problems are for the same reason: "user screen size set larger than max screen size" - that was why i had these larger values in my xorg.conf.
                    Last edited by topcraft; 16 February 2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X