Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Launching Navi-Based Radeon Pro W5500 For $399 USD

Phoronix: AMD Launching Navi-Based Radeon Pro W5500 For $399 USD

AMD this morning announced the Radeon Pro W5500 as their latest workstation graphics card designed for modern design and engineering needs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will this card support MX/Virtual GPUs? To which consumercard is this one comparable?

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
      To which consumercard is this one comparable?

Looks similar to this: https://www.amd.com/en/products/grap...eon-rx-5500-xt

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
        Will this card support MX/Virtual GPUs? To which consumercard is this one comparable?
        Probably not If I'm not mistaken - only Radeon Instinct have unlocked support for vGPU/MxGPU/SR-IOV...

Maybe Intel Xe GPU with unlocked support for vGPU/GVT-g will "pressure" AMD to do the same...

Comment

Meh - I could see some sense in the 5700 model. But similar to the reviews in gaming performance, I'd expect similar results for this one. Call me naive, but I don't really see a reason to have an "entry level" pro card. You either make money with one of those which means "The bigger the better" or you don't need the features and just get the biggest non-pro card. Or you are gaming on it which also means the non-pro card.

We could now debate if Vega or Navi may be the better µArch for a specific compute task, but color me at odds with non cheap entry level pro-cards.

Comment

This card seems like a good candidate for fresh new macs

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
              Probably not If I'm not mistaken - only Radeon Instinct have unlocked support for vGPU/MxGPU/SR-IOV...
              It's only supported on specific server skus.

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
              Maybe Intel Xe GPU with unlocked support for vGPU/GVT-g will "pressure" AMD to do the same...
              Intel's GVT-g is a software based paravirtualization. Someone could implement something similar on the AMD drivers if they wanted to.

Comment

Nailed it, lookingl at the rx5500, there are unpopulated bgas for more memory modules. Makes sense to bump the memory for the pro option, though ECC would be nice for threading with an AI workload. I suspect this is more valuable to Windows users, where there's more distinction between pro and consumer drivers.

Comment

Aside from having "Pro" and "W" in the name, what does the Radeon Pro W550 do that the consumer Radeon RX 5000-series cards do not? The Radeon RX 5700 XT is the same price, and looks to me to offer better specs in every regard. Even the less expensive Radeon RX 5600 or 5600 XT appear to perform better.

Comment

Working...
                  X