Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI RV516 - Radeon X1300/1500 - No Direct Rendering

Hi there -
    I am having a problem with my ATI RV516 and direct rendering. I get this error from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(II) RADEONHD(0): Found libdri 5.4.0.
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
    drmOpenDevice: Open failed
    [drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon"
    (EE) RADEONHD(0): RHDDRIVersionCheck: drmOpen("radeon", "pci:0000:02:00.0") failed.
    (WW) RADEONHD(0): RHDDRIPreInit: Version check failed. Disabling DRI
    I have the latest 1.2.4 radeonhd driver installed with xorg-server 1.5.3-r1 and according to the radeonhd man page - R5xx and RS6xx chips support DRI at the moment. Note that I do have the Option "DRI" enabled in the xorg.conf

I don't know if I have to get a SVN snapshot but any help would be great because I really want to use XV with an open source driver. I am quite frustrated with the performance and usage of the ATI proprietary driver on Linux.

Sincerely and thanks,
    sirus
    Last edited by sirus; 31 January 2009, 02:05 AM.

I think this message usually means that the drm module used by your kernel is too old. Could be either included in your kernel or built separately and installed in a way I don't fully understand

Which distro and kernel are you using ? Most of the recent distros have suffuciently new kernel and driver code to work well with a 5xx GPU. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 at the office because it is a real easy way to get all the working bits for 5xx.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I think this message usually means that the drm module used by your kernel is too old. Could be either included in your kernel or built separately and installed in a way I don't fully understand

Which distro and kernel are you using ? Most of the recent distros have suffuciently new kernel and driver code to work well with a 5xx GPU. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 at the office because it is a real easy way to get all the working bits for 5xx.
      I am running Gentoo with 2.6.28-gentoo-r1 and I have the kernel DRM enabled as a module. I just upgraded my kernel today to the newest available not from git.

Comment

I have DRM loaded as a module and the driver will still not detect it. I do configure the kernel from scratch and I could have easily forget to enable something required for the full functionality of the radeonhd driver.

Comment

That seems alright. You might want to subscribe to the radeonhd list and post a message there.

lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd
          Test signature

Comment

Direct Rendering now works! When it wasn't working I had the two kernel options DRM and RADEON built-in but after modularizing them DRI works fine now. I forgot to do that in the first place when reconfiguring the kernel.

But unfortunately the reason I wanted DRI was to us XV and video does not play with it! Here is the error I get with mplayer when playing any video file:

X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
            I checked the Xorg.0.log and found a error that did not look good!:

Backtrace:
            0: /usr/bin/X(xorg_backtrace+0x26) [0x4e1916]
            1: /usr/bin/X(mieqEnqueue+0x27b) [0x4c458b]
            2: /usr/bin/X(xf86PostMotionEventP+0xf1) [0x4908a1]
            3: /usr/bin/X(xf86PostMotionEvent+0xc3) [0x490a43]
            4: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input//evdev_drv.so [0x7fbbad27146f]
            5: /usr/bin/X [0x47af55]
            6: /usr/bin/X [0x46c770]
            7: /lib/libpthread.so.0 [0x7fbbd3308ed0]
            8: /usr/lib/libpixman-1.so.0 [0x7fbbd23b5b3d]
            9: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libfb.so(fbCopyNtoN+0x277) [0x7fbbcfccea37]
            10: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libfb.so(fbCopyRegion+0xa7) [0x7fbbcfccd8a7]
            11: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libfb.so(fbDoCopy+0x4a1) [0x7fbbcfccdf41]
            12: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libfb.so(fbCopyArea+0x4c) [0x7fbbcfcce07c]
            13: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libxaa.so [0x7fbbcfa6a77a]
            14: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libxaa.so [0x7fbbcfaadbf8]
            15: /usr/bin/X [0x521099]
            16: /usr/bin/X [0x4f121f]
            17: /usr/bin/X(compAllocPixmap+0x34) [0x4f14a4]
            18: /usr/bin/X(compRealizeWindow+0x46) [0x4f0cd6]
            19: /usr/bin/X [0x43449a]
            20: /usr/bin/X(MapWindow+0x110) [0x4362c0]
            21: /usr/bin/X(compRedirectWindow+0x1e4) [0x4f1c34]
            22: /usr/bin/X(compRedirectSubwindows+0xa8) [0x4f1e68]
            23: /usr/bin/X [0x4eef55]
            24: /usr/bin/X(Dispatch+0x334) [0x449474]
            25: /usr/bin/X(main+0x43a) [0x4312fa]
            26: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf4) [0x7fbbd1233b74]
            27: /usr/bin/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x231) [0x4306d9]
            [mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
            [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
            (EE) RADEONHD(0): rhdPutImageTextured: pixmap is not in Framebuffer!
            Any help with this would be much appreciated.
            As a side note I tried to use EXA as a rendering method and it completely crashed xorg-server leaving my computer useless. I even tried opening an ssh connection from an alternate computer to kill X or just reboot the computer and it failed.

Comment

Ok I first disabled AIGLX in the xorg.conf because the radeonhd doesn't support it. The backtrace error disappeared but I turned off the XFCE compositor to get XV playback working

I am so glad this driver just works now.

Comment

Working...
              X