X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emparq
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Actually it was AMD that came to me initially. The delay has been in part due to the engineering manager that initially contacted me, having to go through all sorts of hurdles to get this information released -- since he isn't in their public relations department, he had to go through and get this information cleared with management, legal, VPs, etc...
    Cool, I'm psyched to hear that (that AMD/ATI proactively approached you.. not so much the part about the engineering management having to go through so many hurdles).

That underscores my point though, that there's certainly room for improvement in whatever process is controlling their public relations- at least as it concerns their *nix-related development.

What I don't understand though, is why the secrets in the first place? Even if they don't have anything to show us just yet, why not let their developers or marketing people blog or interview about their near-term driver development goals or roadmap?

As you pointed out on Chris Blizzard's blog here, AMD/ATI Marketing guy Henri Richard said that they "committed to fixing the ATI problems with open source." That certainly sounds great, but what does that mean exactly? Better binary (fglrx) drivers? Opening up hardware documentation so that open-source developers can actually write truly open drivers?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Why keep this type of information secret? Why not just tell us, what they're planning on doing, what they've done so far to get there, and when/how often we can expect to hear news or updates on the development process? That right there would already be a giant first step towards rebuilding their good-faith with the *nix community, even if they aren't delivering on their promises just yet.

But at any rate, I suppose that these slides are essentially just that- AMD/ATI trying to be more open about what they're doing and their near-term goals. I really hope so.

But I guess we'll (finally) find out soon.

Leave a comment:

• niniendowarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Heh... Finally.
    You can say that again!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by emparq View Post
    That is good news. However, I think this also demonstrates a truth about AMD/ATI's management and their decision-making policies.

How long ago did you first contact AMD/ATI, Michael? I imagine that this was sometime back in February? And now, only in the middle of May (5/18), do they finally get the final sign-off?

I really hope that this delay period was just an extreme case of nondecision/bureaucracy within AMD/ATI's management structure.
    Actually it was AMD that came to me initially. The delay has been in part due to the engineering manager that initially contacted me, having to go through all sorts of hurdles to get this information released -- since he isn't in their public relations department, he had to go through and get this information cleared with management, legal, VPs, etc...

Leave a comment:

• emparq
    replied
    That is good news. However, I think this also demonstrates a truth about AMD/ATI's management and their decision-making policies.

How long ago did you first contact AMD/ATI, Michael? I imagine that this was sometime back in February? And now, only in the middle of May (5/18), do they finally get the final sign-off?

I really hope that this delay period was just an extreme case of nondecision/bureaucracy within AMD/ATI's management structure.

Leave a comment:

• Raven3x7
    replied
    Great. Lets hope the info they are going to give you was worth the wait.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Heh... Finally.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Great news folks The article should (finally) be out by month's end.

The AMD VP last in the chain has apparently signed off on the slides yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by rolz View Post
    Another week passes...

In two weeks time it would have been 3 months ago when the slides were first mentioned . Every time I return to this page, I feel a bit more like a horse that's chasing a carrot which is being dangled in front

yet still very interested in seeing those slides. Not as much as the next driver release, but still pretty damn curious

I don't want to come of all mean and bitter, bit ironic though how a slideshow "the truth about our monthly development cycle" is taking 3 months
    You've little idea about how IP leakage and bad PR adverse this bunch is. Honestly.

Leave a comment:

• rolz
    replied
    Another week passes...

In two weeks time it would have been 3 months ago when the slides were first mentioned . Every time I return to this page, I feel a bit more like a horse that's chasing a carrot which is being dangled in front

yet still very interested in seeing those slides. Not as much as the next driver release, but still pretty damn curious

I don't want to come of all mean and bitter, bit ironic though how a slideshow "the truth about our monthly development cycle" is taking 3 months

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by cornelius View Post
    Any updates on the slides Michael?
    I asked AMD about it yesterday with it taking sooo long. Apparently their internal control process for releasing public material takes longer than the Linux people expected and they have already had to remove a few slides. I am hoping for it soon...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X