Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Want In Linux Drivers This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bridgman, it's at this point that I have to break down and admit that I love your posts. Well played.

Comment

You seem to be the only one who likes them right now
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Your second sentence is logically inconsistent with your first sentence.
        Sort of, but not exactly. Hollywood sets the DRM requirements; MS offers a system which meets those requirements but which in turn places lower level requirements on the drivers. If the copyright owners stopped requiring specific levels of DRM robustness in order to license ACSS I think you would see MS drop the requirements pretty quickly; they're a pain in the for everyone.

ATI (et al) is caving in to Microsoft/WHQL (which is caving into Hollywood).
        Pretty much. As long as end customers want to be able to buy systems in North America which play BluRay, I haven't seen a viable alternative. A number of forum members have suggested that MS would back down if ATI/AMD stood their ground, but unless we were the only graphics vendor in town I really don't see that happening.

ATI and others should just give a well-deserved middle finger to Microsoft and digitally sign their own drivers.
        It's Microsoft's private key. "Swordfish" notwithstanding, I don't think we have a lot of options there.

The concept of MS being in charge of quality control is laughable at best.
        Microsoft's QC (and that of pretty much every major customer) runs in parallel with our own. That said, Microsoft have actually invested pretty heavily in some good automated driver quality test suites which I think do add some real value.
        Last edited by bridgman; 31 January 2009, 03:39 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

working 3+ monitor setup

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          It's Microsoft's private key. "Swordfish" notwithstanding, I don't think we have a lot of options there.
          You've got the resources - how about you put all those OpenCL capable cards you've got there to some good use and blast open that ridiculous hurdle. Semi-joking aside,

I would like to see a working "bigdesktop" or the likes multi-montor setup. I can get my ideal setup running on winblow$ [4:3 right rotate, 16:10 widescreen, 4:3 right rotate] in a manner of seconds, but under linux its a nightmare. A working vanilla dual-monitor config can be a PITA, throw in rotation for just one screen and it goes out the door. Using the fglrx driver, I managed to get it working for two monitors with one screen rotated but only as two separate desktops. One of the opensource one let me do a spanning setup with two monitors where the side screen was rotated, but it was awfully slow and the default resolution for the center monitor was set to that of the sidepanel which left gnome's taskbar floating in the middle of the screen.

Even if initially there was only 2D support, that would be a good step forward. Right now, this is a dealbreaker for me. Unless this gets fixed within half a year or so when I finally will be getting some updated graphics cards, I will be forced to jump back to the NVidia camp. I would much rather stay with AMD ATI offerings due to the opensource initiatives but having a working setup is critical for my work to get done.

And fix the mouse cursor corruption when dual-monitor setup is enabled - I mean the one where the pointer turns into a hatched vertical line.

Comment

This is for nvidia since I use that, but if ATI get's this stuff first I'll jump ship:

Multi-head SLI (really, apparently the windows driver has had it since 180.x)
            OpenCL
            XRandR 1.2 so I can dump xinerama and get vdpau going again.

Comment

I'd like to see KDE 4.x catch up to 3.5.x terms of speedy drawing to the screen.

I'd like to see compositing window managers off themselves when a 3D application starts.

I'd like to see ATI customers happier. They don't seem to be happy with either ATI or NVIDIA and they don't mind letting everyone know about it.

Comment

Intel:

Tear-free Xv output on the G45 which only has textured video, no overlay. Hardware video decoding would also be nice. It's quite sad the G45 is such capable hardware on Windows but video playback is horrible on Linux.

nVidia:

It'd be nice if they open-sourced their drivers, but they're not going to.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWalrus View Post
                  Since my video card is a not-so-new ATI Radeon Xpress 1150, there aren't many new features I am looking for at the moment.

However, I have had problems with rendering Compiz fusion's cube with 3d windows enabled on any 64-bit Linux distro (does not happen on 32-bit). There is extensive flickering that is hard to watch. I've filed a bug report with ATI, but I have only found one other person with this bug. It really doesn't matter that much to me, I have just decided not to use 3d windows anymore. Plus, I am hoping to get a new computer in about a year, so I pray they aren't spending too much time on it!
                  Interesting ... Could you direct me to that bugreport ? I'm also going to try a 32 bit distro, because I didn't imagine my flickering problems could be due to 64 bits.

Comment

Regarding other than display drivers, it would be nice if we could see cards like the ALC888 work as they do in Windows. That would mean major improvements to ALSA's dmix. Currently if your card doesn't support hwmix, you can't watch a flash video with sound decently without making some ugly hacks (which I forgot and plan not to remember them :P). Not only that, but there seems there is a certain dependence on Pulseaudio (with my ALC888 I wasn't able to watch a 6ch video flawlessly without having to close my music player (even though playback was paused), until I installed Pulse, which I pretty much don't like). Such things made me go back to my good old Live! 5.1 with hwmix.
                    If possible it would be nice to see onboard cards (which are pretty common today) work as they do in Windows, unless of course they are windevices in disguise :P.

Talking about display drivers, I'd rather see a DECENT VDPAU implementation. Today's one doesn't support video filters, let alone things like ASS subtitles. It would be nice if it would be par with something like gl2 in terms of additional features. I don't know about you guys, but I like things like color in my subs and also see them rendered outside the video whenever it's possible, and not over it :P.
                    Of course I'd also like to see ATI's and Intel's implementations on this field mature (but I'm currently an Nvidia user :P). It's pretty much what I most use today.

Comment

emm, Godlike, that is not alsa's fault but an ugly bug in flash (and some other apps that abuse the old oss api in ugly ways). Try a modern flash version - and pester adobe to fix it,

Comment

Working...
                      X