AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I vividly remember how AMD released $1000 AMD64 CPUs when Intel was stuck with their Pentium 4 architecture. AMD fans forget that so easily.
    There is a difference between having a superior product with a high price for it and deliberately modifying benchmarks to only make it look that way. Intel even lost in court multiple times over their shenanigans making them pay AMD billions in damages. One such example is this, and also the Intel compiler issues.

Comment

NVIDIA will treat Linux as a first class OS when it becomes one.
      Why are you here birdie? Just to suffer?

As for playing shenanigans - almost all commercial companies are not immune to that. I vividly remember how AMD released $1000 AMD64 CPUs when Intel was stuck with their Pentium 4 architecture. AMD fans forget that so easily.
      Birdie, go read my comment again, the market shenanigans is not what prevents me from having an Nvidia card, is poor support because they refuse to implement their drivers the way they're supposed to be implemented in Linux.

Aalto Talk with Linus Torvalds - Nvidia F_ck You!Full Length Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShbP3OpASA

Why doesn't Nvidia help this poor girl to have a good experience on her laptop? Why Birdie? why?

Comment

and don't use any proprietary NVIDIA features - they use standard D3D11/12 features.
        Doesn't change that they are inefficient as fuck. Enabling Hairworks can still reduce performance in Witcher 3 by over 30% for no particularly good reason whereas Rise of the Tomb Raider has hair rendering that not only looks better than Hairworks does in any game that supports it, but also manages to do so without a noticeable performance impact (it's like 5% on vs off).

Turns out that using 64x tessellation together with geometry shaders and transform feedback all in one go isn't the best thing to do on any GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
          the budget RX 5500 XT
          That's not a budget card. It's a midrange (maybe low midrange) card. Unfortunately, AMD doesn't make budget (<=$100) cards anymore. They have nothing to compete with the GT 1030, not counting using an APU.

Comment

NVIDIA -works have been open sourced for ages and don't use any proprietary NVIDIA features - they use standard D3D11/12 features.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_GameWorks 50% of the article is about criticism of the closed nature

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

That's not a budget card. It's a midrange (maybe low midrange) card. Unfortunately, AMD doesn't make budget (<=$100) cards anymore. They have nothing to compete with the GT 1030, not counting using an APU.
              The APU is kinda the whole point. I'm using a Vega 10 right now it annihilates everything discreet nVidia has on the low end. I don't have one, but even Vega 8 puts nVidia's low end offerings to shame.

EDIT: To be perfectly reasonable, I'm not so sure I'll ever need another discreet GPU ever again. I'm just so pleased with Vega 10's performance, it plays every game I throw at it. And not all, but most of them at max settings.
              Last edited by duby229; 21 January 2020, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                What about something like the RX550 ? IIRC it's a bit faster than the GTX 1030 and in the same price range.

Any smaller than that and you're in integrated graphics territory.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

mh the difference is amds gimmicks are usually open.....tress fx ...opencl...freesync...ah and there was mantle which set the groundwork for dx12 and vulkan...
                  AMD isn't the inventor of OpenCL. That's Apple.

Comment

I keep hearing that over and over except when RTX/DLSS are properly implemented they work beautifully:

AMD fans are a curious kind of people. Whenever NVIDIA invents something, it's a "gimmick", it "slows down everything", it doesn't make picture quality better.

Meanwhile NVIDIA invented and first implemented in HW:
                    • programmable shaders (now used by 99.9% of 3D games)
                    • tesselation (now used by absolute most triple-A titles)
                    • real time ray tracing (to become common once the new Xbox and PS get released).
                    And a lot more. NVIDIA -works (hair, grass, etc) were also panned to no end until AMD released GPUs which could handle them properly and nowadays no one really remembers the whole issue.
                    I believe tesselation was on ATI. It was called TruForm back then.
                    But you're right on every other account. Also, a year ago the 2060 was blasted for not being future proof with only 6GB of VRAM. Fast forward one year, the 5600XT also sports 6GB VRAM, everyone is happy.
                    Last edited by bug77; 21 January 2020, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Big Navi better have some incredible technology in it, or Navi is DOA and AMD's GPU division either 1. Dies, or 2. Has an actual Ryzen moment next generation of hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X