X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amd need seriously new gpu development especially in power consumption:

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
      Is it possible seeing some benchmarks for other applications rather than just video games? I mean GIMP, Inkscape, Krita, Kdenlive, Natron, Blender, Imagemagick, Gmic, Darkroom, etc... The Linux gamers are the 1% of the 1% global Linux base.
      Most of the programs you mention don't directly utilize OpenGL acceleration... For some of them there is OpenCL, but no ROCm/OpenCL support yet for Navi. And of that list the only benchmark friendly ones are darktable, GIMP, Blender that I am aware of.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Nice review!
        It's a bit disappointing that they didn't used the latest HDMI version for this card
        Why only HDMI 2.0b when HDMI 2.1 was released 2 years ago ?
        Another disappointment is no AV1 hardware decoding acceleration, at least we should have VP9 hardware decoding, if it will ever work on Linux.
        I hope to see in the future benchmarks how well it handles games like "GTA V" and others through WINE / DXVK / Proton.

I'm interested in the MSI version of this card because MSI has a feature called "Zero RPM" where the fans are stopped completely if the temperature is not too high, which is very good for the much wanted silence.
        Now I'm wondering if this feature works on Linux ?
        On Windows I can see it enabled in the AMD control panel, but on Linux without a control panel, I have no idea if it works or not.
        Why would they spend the money on HDMI 2.1 for a 1920x1080 card? The only difference between 2.0b and 2.1 is the added bandwidth for new 4K and 10K resolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Nice review!
          It's a bit disappointing that they didn't used the latest HDMI version for this card
          Why only HDMI 2.0b when HDMI 2.1 was released 2 years ago ?
          Another disappointment is no AV1 hardware decoding acceleration, at least we should have VP9 hardware decoding, if it will ever work on Linux.
          I hope to see in the future benchmarks how well it handles games like "GTA V" and others through WINE / DXVK / Proton.

I'm interested in the MSI version of this card because MSI has a feature called "Zero RPM" where the fans are stopped completely if the temperature is not too high, which is very good for the much wanted silence.
          Now I'm wondering if this feature works on Linux ?
          On Windows I can see it enabled in the AMD control panel, but on Linux without a control panel, I have no idea if it works or not.
          just to let you know, HDMI does not support freesync. Not on Linux: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-754
          • FreeSync via HDMI is not supported for this feature. Only DP FreeSync displays will work.

Better buy display port cables
          Last edited by dimko; 12 December 2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Most of the programs you mention don't directly utilize OpenGL acceleration... For some of them there is OpenCL, but no ROCm/OpenCL support yet for Navi. And of that list the only benchmark friendly ones are darktable, GIMP, Blender that I am aware of.
            Thank you, probably I did this question a thousand of times and you have been always so kind to reply me!

Comment

Minor typo:

With the F1 2017 Vulkan-powered Linux racing game and the last of the F1 series that is Linux-native, the RX 5500 XT performance pulled in right behind the RX 580/590 and GTX 1650 SUPER. This game was easily playable on the RX 500 XT at 1080p with high quality visuals.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

No ROCm for Navi yet....
                OK, no ROCm yet but what is the state of OpenCL support via amdgpu-pro? Some benchmark results would be nice if possible...

Comment

A bit underwhelming really, I was hoping for better from the 5500 xt especially when you see the windows sites reviews as well. Wake me up when they have 1660 super performance for 1650 super pricing

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                    Is it possible seeing some benchmarks for other applications rather than just video games? I mean GIMP, Inkscape, Krita, Kdenlive, Natron, Blender, Imagemagick, Gmic, Darkroom, etc... The Linux gamers are the 1% of the 1% global Linux base.
                    I would agree with this, but obviously RocM and similar support is needed. Benchmarking for gaming on Linux does seem like a waste of effort. The board seems to come up short as a HTPC solution too so testing/review there is worth considering.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                      A bit underwhelming really, I was hoping for better from the 5500 xt especially when you see the windows sites reviews as well. Wake me up when they have 1660 super performance for 1650 super pricing
                      perf is what I expected, but I thought they would be $20-ish usd cheaper and top out at 120w though.

Comment

Working...
                      X