Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT Linux Performance

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    amd need seriously new gpu development especially in power consumption:





    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
      Is it possible seeing some benchmarks for other applications rather than just video games? I mean GIMP, Inkscape, Krita, Kdenlive, Natron, Blender, Imagemagick, Gmic, Darkroom, etc... The Linux gamers are the 1% of the 1% global Linux base.
      Most of the programs you mention don't directly utilize OpenGL acceleration... For some of them there is OpenCL, but no ROCm/OpenCL support yet for Navi. And of that list the only benchmark friendly ones are darktable, GIMP, Blender that I am aware of.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Nice review!
        It's a bit disappointing that they didn't used the latest HDMI version for this card
        Why only HDMI 2.0b when HDMI 2.1 was released 2 years ago ?
        Another disappointment is no AV1 hardware decoding acceleration, at least we should have VP9 hardware decoding, if it will ever work on Linux.
        I hope to see in the future benchmarks how well it handles games like "GTA V" and others through WINE / DXVK / Proton.

        I'm interested in the MSI version of this card because MSI has a feature called "Zero RPM" where the fans are stopped completely if the temperature is not too high, which is very good for the much wanted silence.
        Now I'm wondering if this feature works on Linux ?
        On Windows I can see it enabled in the AMD control panel, but on Linux without a control panel, I have no idea if it works or not.
        Why would they spend the money on HDMI 2.1 for a 1920x1080 card? The only difference between 2.0b and 2.1 is the added bandwidth for new 4K and 10K resolutions.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Nice review!
          It's a bit disappointing that they didn't used the latest HDMI version for this card
          Why only HDMI 2.0b when HDMI 2.1 was released 2 years ago ?
          Another disappointment is no AV1 hardware decoding acceleration, at least we should have VP9 hardware decoding, if it will ever work on Linux.
          I hope to see in the future benchmarks how well it handles games like "GTA V" and others through WINE / DXVK / Proton.

          I'm interested in the MSI version of this card because MSI has a feature called "Zero RPM" where the fans are stopped completely if the temperature is not too high, which is very good for the much wanted silence.
          Now I'm wondering if this feature works on Linux ?
          On Windows I can see it enabled in the AMD control panel, but on Linux without a control panel, I have no idea if it works or not.
          just to let you know, HDMI does not support freesync. Not on Linux: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-754
          • FreeSync via HDMI is not supported for this feature. Only DP FreeSync displays will work.

          Better buy display port cables
          Last edited by dimko; 12 December 2019, 03:10 PM.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Michael View Post

            Most of the programs you mention don't directly utilize OpenGL acceleration... For some of them there is OpenCL, but no ROCm/OpenCL support yet for Navi. And of that list the only benchmark friendly ones are darktable, GIMP, Blender that I am aware of.
            Thank you, probably I did this question a thousand of times and you have been always so kind to reply me!

            Comment


            • #26
              Minor typo:

              With the F1 2017 Vulkan-powered Linux racing game and the last of the F1 series that is Linux-native, the RX 5500 XT performance pulled in right behind the RX 580/590 and GTX 1650 SUPER. This game was easily playable on the RX 500 XT at 1080p with high quality visuals.
              Test signature

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Michael View Post

                No ROCm for Navi yet....
                OK, no ROCm yet but what is the state of OpenCL support via amdgpu-pro? Some benchmark results would be nice if possible...

                Comment


                • #28
                  A bit underwhelming really, I was hoping for better from the 5500 xt especially when you see the windows sites reviews as well. Wake me up when they have 1660 super performance for 1650 super pricing

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I'm interested in the MSI version of this card because MSI has a feature called "Zero RPM" where the fans are stopped completely if the temperature is not too high, which is very good for the much wanted silence.
                    Now I'm wondering if this feature works on Linux ?
                    On Windows I can see it enabled in the AMD control panel, but on Linux without a control panel, I have no idea if it works or not.
                    My experience with MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR in Linux:

                    Zero RPM does not work in Linux. By default the fans are rotating at about 1000 RPM in idle and at 2000+ RPM under load in case of this GPU. 2000+ RPM is very audible (unless wearing headphones). If the user wants zero RPM with this GPU, he/she will have to find (or develop) a small app watching the GPUs temperature and adjusting RPM via files in the directory "/sys/class/drm/card?/device/hwmon/hwmon?". Setting fan rotation below 250 RPM will physically stop the fans (zero RPM).

                    The idle power consumption is about 8 Watts with amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff on kernel command-line, and about twice as much Watts without the ppfeaturemask. However, using ppfeaturemask might result in heavy display flickering when multiple displays are connected to the GPU, which can be solved by manually (or via a small script) fixing the GPU's memory clock when multiple displays are connected and disconnected.

                    The RX 570 GPU halts the system about 20% of the time when the system is resumed from suspend-to-memory, which basically means that you won't be able to suspend your machine ever if you want to avoid the risk of the machine failing to resume.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                      A bit underwhelming really, I was hoping for better from the 5500 xt especially when you see the windows sites reviews as well. Wake me up when they have 1660 super performance for 1650 super pricing
                      The distance of this seems to be about 1-3 years into the future when AMD/Nvidia replace the current generation RDNA/Turing GPUs with the next generation RDNA2/Ampere.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X