AMD Publishes Vega 7nm ISA Documentation - 300 More Pages Of GPU Docs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes Vega 7nm ISA Documentation - 300 More Pages Of GPU Docs

Phoronix: AMD Publishes Vega 7nm ISA Documentation - 300 More Pages Of GPU Docs

Beyond AMD's open-source graphics driver stack of the past decade, part of their original open-source plans have also involved providing public (NDA-free) GPU hardware documentation. That has come with time though the documentation drops are not coordinated in-step with code drops. Out today, for example, is the ISA documentation on Vega 7nm...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Coming Zen2 APUs are with VEGA 7nm GPU. I don't know if that is the same ISA stated in the article, but may be so.
    I also expect these to sell like hot cakes for Laptops and casual desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      Coming Zen2 APUs are with VEGA 7nm GPU. I don't know if that is the same ISA stated in the article, but may be so.
      This is basically the last thing I'm waiting for before jumping on a new laptop purchase. The current APU line looks nice, bit I want that 7nm Zen2 goodness.

Comment

In this documentation is there anything about how to support GPU hotplugging? I'm using an eGPU setup and AMDGPU has no support for hotplug removal. The driver actually complains when you try to remove the graphics card and you can't cleanly unmount it from the system. Almost always requires a reboot to re-add the card, and you lose a VTY when you try to remove it (the console process locks up doing the removal). NVIDIA has this working without issue, but I don't want to pay $500AUD more for an NVIDIA card.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
          In this documentation is there anything about how to support GPU hotplugging? I'm using an eGPU setup and AMDGPU has no support for hotplug removal. The driver actually complains when you try to remove the graphics card and you can't cleanly unmount it from the system. Almost always requires a reboot to re-add the card, and you lose a VTY when you try to remove it (the console process locks up doing the removal). NVIDIA has this working without issue, but I don't want to pay $500AUD more for an NVIDIA card.
          This documentation is just shader ISA, not to do with anything else like hotplug/display.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

This is basically the last thing I'm waiting for before jumping on a new laptop purchase. The current APU line looks nice, bit I want that 7nm Zen2 goodness.
            Hopefully Lenovo will make a Thinkpad with Ryzen, Vega, and a 144hz display!

Comment

Hot Plug in Windows has a software component, outside the driver. https://www.anandtech.com/show/10133...ternal-radeons I don't think its trivial to add the same feature to the amdgpu driver. I think you would need system daemon or another kernel module to orchestrate the gpu hotplug feature.

Comment

There's nothing special hardware-wise to deal with hotplug. You just have to teach the driver to gracefully deal with the hardware disappearing from underneath it. Also if you have a console bound to the device, you need to unbind it first before you can unload the driver. See section C:

Once you've unbound the console, it's best to unload the driver (modprobe -r amdgpu) before you attempt to disconnect the card otherwise the driver will fail when the hardware disappears.

Comment

Ever since AMD ran out of cash in the credit crunch of 2008, and they sold off the adreno to qualcomm, the fabs to a saudi investment consortium, and also halted the RadeonHD cooperation with SuSE, AMD has not been producing documentation for anything beyond their Shader ISA. We should perhaps count ourselves lucky that some of the info is reflected in the exhaustive header dumps that make the massive kloc numbers of the AMD drivers in the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    Is that a twisted sarcasm? I hope so!

I very rarely see laptops powered by AMD hardware in most physical and electronic shops I visited.

I only found only one laptop that has AMD hardware. Even if there's one at least, it's usually not available or needs to be requested and you have to wait a few days or a week to have it.
                    Last edited by timofonic; 13 December 2019, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X