Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imagination Announces IMG A-Series To Deliver 2.5x Faster Performance Over Current PowerVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone still using their silicon after Apple dumped them and they have no open Linux driver?

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

Damn, how crappy do you have to be when VideoCore is better than you? I was going to reply to correct you, but damn, you're right. And not even by just a little bit. Damn....
      Yeah, VideoCore probably is shit, but I would still rather have that than PowerVR.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
        Damn, how crappy do you have to be when VideoCore is better than you? I was going to reply to correct you, but damn, you're right. And not even by just a little bit. Damn....
        If we're being fair, VideoCore's performance is really in the toilet and not at all comparable to any modern mobile IP.

Based on various GPU benchmarks I'd seen of previous-generation Apple phones & tablets, Imagination's IP at least performed competitively.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          anyone still using their silicon after Apple dumped them and they have no open Linux driver?
          Yes, there is few boards with PowerVR, but I guess only clueless people could buy it. You know, people who buy noname boards from AliExpress without checking forums first, or people who order boards after reading board description on vendor web-site without fact checking, etc.

Comment

Well, it is a great hardware to develop a driver and get employed by Collabora/Google later

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

Yes, there is few boards with PowerVR, but I guess only clueless people could buy it. You know, people who buy noname boards from AliExpress without checking forums first, or people who order boards after reading board description on vendor web-site without fact checking, etc.
              All these boards are 32bit ARM (one MIPS outlier), and mostly (2 outliers, A15) older In-Order architectures (A7/A8/A9). So apparently, you hardly can get a recent CPU core (A53/55, A72/73) with a PowerVR GPU.

The only interesting board(s) in the list IMHO are the BeagleBoards, due to their PRUSS engines. Feeding the data from the PRUSS directly to the GPU cores (not as GPU, but as generic accelerator) would open up some unique applications.

Comment

Socionext 2017 SC1810 Series8XE
                Synaptics 2017 Berlin BG5CT Series8XE GE8310
                Mediatek 2017 MT6739 Series8XE GE8100
                MT8167 Series8XE GE8300
                2018 Helio P22 Series8XE GE8320
                Helio A22
                Helio P35
                Renesas 2017 R-Car D3 (R8A77995) Series8XE GE8300
                Unisoc (Spreadtrum) 2018 SC9863A Series8XE GE8322
                Q1 2019 Tiger T310 Series8XE GE8300
                Mediatek 2018 Helio P90 Series9XM GM9446
                Unisoc Q3 2019 Tiger T710 Series9XM GM9446

These are some recent soc's that contain powervr gpus.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  "The GPU of Everything"

Everything except Open-Source, for sure
                  and apple

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    If we're being fair, VideoCore's performance is really in the toilet and not at all comparable to any modern mobile IP.

Based on various GPU benchmarks I'd seen of previous-generation Apple phones & tablets, Imagination's IP at least performed competitively.
                    A crappy GPU with a working driver is faster than a competetive GPU with no driver. They're still both pretty crap, but you can at least use one of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X