Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imagination Announces IMG A-Series To Deliver 2.5x Faster Performance Over Current PowerVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagination Announces IMG A-Series To Deliver 2.5x Faster Performance Over Current PowerVR

Phoronix: Imagination Announces IMG A-Series To Deliver 2.5x Faster Performance Over Current PowerVR

Imagination today announced the IMG A-Series as their next-generation GPU cores and architecture that deliver 2.5x faster performance for the same area and same power to their current-generation PowerVR graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The GPU of Everything"

Everything except Open-Source, for sure

Comment

I thought Imagination was bankrupt, they were just sold to another company/spin-offed then?

Comment

In a world where a large majority of GPUs have open source drivers, that's actually quite sad. That being said, I'm curious where performance is relative to other platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by IMG
          That’s why we’re referring to it as "The GPU of Everything as Long as You Give us Heap Big Pile Cash For Working Drivers And Are Okay With a Decade Old Kernal."
          FTFY.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            I thought Imagination was bankrupt, they were just sold to another company/spin-offed then?
            They sold MIPS a while back, and tried to sell their RF/Networking division (ensigma) as well, which apparently no one wanted.
            Like you I'm surprised imgtec still exists

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

They sold MIPS a while back, and tried to sell their RF/Networking division (ensigma) as well, which apparently no one wanted.
              Like you I'm surprised imgtec still exists
              Not true, it's sold to a Chinese fund and they invested millions every year to keep it alive.

Comment

The entry level gpu only supports opencl 1.2 embedded profile, the next lowest end gpu and all their other new gpu's only support opencl 2.0 embedded profile. I was expecting at least v2.1 considering this is a brand new gpu architecture.

Specs: https://www.imgtec.com/powervr-gpu/axm-8-256/
                Last edited by hajj_3; 03 December 2019, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Imagination Technologies sucks, their have no open source code at all, and their device drivers are very proprietary. They were only kept a float by Apple then Apple dumped them and they were free falling. Better with ARM Mali, Adreno, Vivante, and even Broadcom VideoCore.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Better with ARM Mali, Adreno, Vivante, and even Broadcom VideoCore.
                    Damn, how crappy do you have to be when VideoCore is better than you? I was going to reply to correct you, but damn, you're right. And not even by just a little bit. Damn....

Comment

Working...
                    X