Intel Confirms Ponte Vecchio As 7nm General Purpose GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
    So Intel is confident that they can build this on their own 7nm? I assume they won't be using TSMC.
    There were rumors that it's going to be made by Samsung.

Comment

Perhaps calling it Intel Venice would be more appropriate given their woes.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
        What about Pompeii?

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
          Since Venice literally is under water nowdays.
          https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hreatens-again

Calling it Venice would certainly be jinxing it.
          I've got a sinking feeling already.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

MindMelt. A Meltdown variant that's triggered by Vulkan calls and the mitigation will cause a 10% loss of performance for any Vulkan activity.

Which will soon be followed by:

Glutton. A new bug that causes any OpenGL process to dump the system's memory to the first partition it can find, usually /dev/sda1 until it's full or the system crashes.

And

Crai Crai. Unfortunately, that's the one where an AI running ray tracing experiments triggers a new root exploit while simultaneously becoming self-aware and addicted to Twitter. After reading 500 of Donald Trump's tweets it commits suicide with a nuclear warhead and inadvertently starts WWIII.
            I vote this for best comment of the Year Award!
            ROFLOL

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

Doesn't make much sense because Samsung's nodes tend to be low power, which means less performance.
              Unless this one is different...

Comment

I used to be excited about the rumors of a discrete Intel GPU. Now I'm not even slightly interested. Sad times.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                  Doesn't make much sense because Samsung's nodes tend to be low power, which means less performance.
                  Nvidia already announced their plans to use Samsung's 7 nm.

Samsung and Nvidia are partnering up on 7nm, with signs that the Korean foundry may be Nvidia's primary or sole provider, rather than TSMC.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                    Unless this one is different...
                    It probably will be different since Samsung is going deeper into the partnership with IBM in order to boost their manufacturing know-how.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

Samsung has nothing to do with it. Intel confirmed more than once that their first 7nm is a HPC Xe variant and is scheduled for H2 2021. Ponte Vecchio is their lead 7nm product, it's based on Intels 7nm.

Comment

Working...
                      X